Spyder Garage

Default Question on a quote I got

So on my F3-T, I got a quote from my dealer for mounting and balancing a rear tire, and the laser alignment. Total was $281.00.

That seem reasonable?

Spyder Garage

If they are removing and replacing the wheel on the bike then yes that's reasonable. I paid almost 200 for alignment and belt adjustment.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Does that price include any lubricant?? (sorry, had to)

Are you supplying the new rear tire?
    We have 5 dealers in my area, when I called each of them I explained that I was going to supply my F3 and a new tire. I did not request the Laser Alignment. Quotes ranged from 2 places @ $60, 1 place @ $125, 1 place @ $140 and a greedy one at $220.

I would keep looking.
    2016 F3-L SS

Spyder Garage

If I supply the rear tire my dealer (which I did and purchased for $79) it is only charging $69 to remove “1” existing rear wheel, remove existing tire, spin and balance rear tire, mount tire to wheel and mount wheel back on spyder. I drive it there and away. This is the quote and price I just paid 2 weeks ago at my local Can am dealer. I did not have to sign a waver either for it being a car tire.

Spyder Garage

What part of PA are you at? Which dealer?
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I dunno about the rest of you, but it seems to me that whenever someone tells us about 'their Dealer' who'll fit tires other than Kendas and they actually NAME that Dealer on the public pages here, then it's not too long before that Dealer stops fitting anything but the OE Kendas!!

Now I really don't have a dog in this race, cos here Down Under it's nowhere near the problem you lot appear to have over there, but I do read a whole lot of posts on these boards & see how things change over time.... so yeah, it might just be me & my suspicious mind, and it might not make a difference in the long run for a whole raft of possible reasons either, but I reckon it'd be a whole lot smarter on the part of all concerned NOT to name any such Dealer on the public pages and in fact also to NOT EVEN ASK that they be named on the public pages, but to use Private Messages instead!! Cos it really does seem that whenever someone finds a Dealer with enough guts to buck the party line & do something for the benefit of their customers instead and that info gets broadcast to all & sundry, then it's not going to be long before that Dealer either revert to strict adherence to the party line, or they stop dealing with Spyders entirely!!

So if you want to know, then like I said earlier, let's be smart about all this and if someone says 'their dealer fits tires other than the OE Krap', then don't press them for info about who/where/what Dealer on the public pages! Instead, try to be a little bit smarter as well as a whole lot more discrete & send them a PM instead! Sure, it might not make any real difference; it might just be my suspicious mind reading things that aren't really there; but we have seen these brave & Customer Service focussed Dealers named on the public pages before, and it really seems to me that once outed publicly, they won't keep on doing things like that for too long afterwards!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Last August 27th and 30th. I paid $236 and that includes shop supplies (1 o-ring and 1 cotter pin), tire disposal and tax to mount and balance 2 front Vredestein tires and a Vredestein rear tire and also mount the rear Centramatic wheel balancer under the rear brake rotor. I thought that was a pretty good price for the work done.
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 01-27-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: DEALERSHIP NAME REMOVED.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I dunno about the rest of you, but it seems to me that whenever someone tells us about 'their Dealer' who'll fit tires other than Kendas and they actually NAME that Dealer on the public pages here, then it's not too long before that Dealer stops fitting anything but the OE Kendas!!

Now I really don't have a dog in this race, cos here Down Under it's nowhere near the problem you lot appear to have over there, but I do read a whole lot of posts on these boards & see how things change over time.... so yeah, it might just be me & my suspicious mind, and it might not make a difference in the long run for a whole raft of possible reasons either, but I reckon it'd be a whole lot smarter on the part of all concerned NOT to name any such Dealer on the public pages and in fact also to NOT EVEN ASK that they be named on the public pages, but to use Private Messages instead!! Cos it really does seem that whenever someone finds a Dealer with enough guts to buck the party line & do something for the benefit of their customers instead and that info gets broadcast to all & sundry, then it's not going to be long before that Dealer either revert to strict adherence to the party line, or they stop dealing with Spyders entirely!!

So if you want to know, then like I said earlier, let's be smart about all this and if someone says 'their dealer fits tires other than the OE Krap', then don't press them for info about who/where/what Dealer on the public pages! Instead, try to be a little bit smarter as well as a whole lot more discrete & send them a PM instead! Sure, it might not make any real difference; it might just be my suspicious mind reading things that aren't really there; but we have seen these brave & Customer Service focussed Dealers named on the public pages before, and it really seems to me that once outed publicly, they won't keep on doing things like that for too long afterwards!
    It sounds like you are right on with the information concerning NOT naming such dealers in public. PM will get the job done and perhaps make it possible for others to partake of the service.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

X's 10 ….. this also applies to sellers of Auto tires that are used on Spyders …… with AR traveler about the " PM " thing ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    If I supply the rear tire my dealer (which I did and purchased for $79) it is only charging $69 to remove “1” existing rear wheel, remove existing tire, spin and balance rear tire, mount tire to wheel and mount wheel back on spyder. I drive it there and away. This is the quote and price I just paid 2 weeks ago at my local Can am dealer. I did not have to sign a waver either for it being a car tire.
    Wow I was and auto tech for 20 years and at 120 per hour shop time. (Today's average). 69 bucks. That is .6 tenths of an hour. There is no way even a good tech can R&R a wheel mount and balance in that amount of time on a Spyder. He must be paid hourly and not flat rate like most auto techs get paid. Dealers loosing his shorts. I'm fast and it still took me over an hour just to R&R my rear spyder wheel.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Wow I was and auto tech for 20 years and at 120 per hour shop time. (Today's average). 69 bucks. That is .6 tenths of an hour. There is no way even a good tech can R&R a wheel mount and balance in that amount of time on a Spyder. He must be paid hourly and not flat rate like most auto techs get paid. Dealers loosing his shorts. I'm fast and it still took me over an hour just to R&R my rear spyder wheel.
    Seems too good to be true. I take my stripped wheel and car tire to Cycle Specialties here in Taylors SC (Greenville area) and they swap the tire out no questions asked while ya wait for $44. I have my Air Force robot tech daughter help me with the lifting for R&R of the wheel. Alignment not an issue.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I just inquired with my local dealer for a rear tire mount quote when I have the bYke in for sway bar install/laser alignment. I was quoted $220 for tire mounting/balancing on the bike. Nope .. F3 rear tire removal from greatrides video looks pretty straight forward..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I just inquired with my local dealer for a rear tire mount quote when I have the bYke in for sway bar install/laser alignment. I was quoted $220 for tire mounting/balancing on the bike. Nope .. F3 rear tire removal from greatrides video looks pretty straight forward..
    That $220 was just for the rear tire?

Spyder Garage

Ha .. Yup

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    That $220 was just for the rear tire?
    That's a bit high. Fair price would be 1 hour to R&R Wheel and 15 minutes for mount and balance. That would be 150 at my dealer cost.

Spyder Garage

Yeah .. They're not unreasonable for the sway bar ($125) or laser alignment ($125). I'll do wheel removal/install myself. Don't have a jack that will lift the Spyder high enough for the sway bar. Could invest in one, but my small floor jack works well enough for most purposes..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Depending on your age or the number of times you've been hit or both, doing the sway bar with a jack will generate the comment that "<explitive>, I won't do that again <explitive>AAAAAAAAGH!"
    Yeah .. They're not unreasonable for the sway bar ($125) or laser alignment ($125). I'll do wheel removal/install myself. Don't have a jack that will lift the Spyder high enough for the sway bar. Could invest in one, but my small floor jack works well enough for most purposes..
    Same as above, but with the addition of looking at this video. The greatrides video is good but incomplete.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Oh no, meant to imply that I won't be attempting the sway bar install with my floor jack. Nope, uh uh

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

My dealer has a service prices page on their website...
    Replace Rear Tire = $375
    Replace Front Tire (each, 14 or 15") = $140
    Maybe if I just pull in backwards...!

True Track Laser Alignment = $150

Basic Oil Change = $160
    Odd, considering the 4600 mile service, including Oil Change, is $175...might as well have the whole thing checked, inspected, lubed, etc for the extra $15!!!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic