Spyder Garage

Default Wiring harness for RT 622 trailer

I have a 2015 RTL with a 4 pin flat harness. I purchased a 2010 RT 622 trailer with a 9 pin round connector. I have searched & read previous posts for the past hour. Is there an adapter that can be purchased that will work in this situation? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snackcake View Post
    I have a 2015 RTL with a 4 pin flat harness. I purchased a 2010 RT 622 trailer with a 9 pin round connector. I have searched & read previous posts for the past hour. Is there an adapter that can be purchased that will work in this situation? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Having been through the same and similar with other owners, these are my suggestions.

1) Ensure your trailer has the ground wire update.
    2) Purchase a new wire harness from the hitch to the connector where the tow bar fastens to the trailer chassis.
    3) On Amazon, purchase a 4 pin square pigtail, AND a 4 pin flat pigtail.

The ground wire update on our trailer was a factory update according to our dealer when they ran the VIN. No charge for that. The new wire harness was inexpensive and updates from the round style connector to the 4 pin flat. Again, inexpensive are the pigtails. I soldered ours and protected with heat shrink. Ultimately, I joined the square trailer harness to my new adapter harness. Wrapped in tape to provide a seal. I also applied silicone dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. That wrapped connector was stuffed into the trailer tow bar. The length left exposed was correct to reach the Spyders connector and not foul the tire.

So now ours is setup as 4 pin flat on both the Spyder and trailer. On the Spyder side, I merely made a second pigtail. Essentially, if needed, going back to 4 pin square is a matter of unplugging the adapters.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As PMK says. When you make the change you will disable the amber turn signals and change the red ones to turn/signal. I've never used the tongue harness adapter cable but I think that it does that for you. I also think that the trailers with the 9 pin connector may have had backup lights also. Those no longer will be functional.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    As PMK says. When you make the change you will disable the amber turn signals and change the red ones to turn/signal. I've never used the tongue harness adapter cable but I think that it does that for you. I also think that the trailers with the 9 pin connector may have had backup lights also. Those no longer will be functional.
    There is a trailer mod too where they remove the amber lens bulbs and install tape covers over the bulb socket openings, but why bother.