Spyder Garage

Default One year on the road. Is is just me ?

Well, yesterday, January 25th was the one-year anniversary that I took delivery of my 2019 F3 Limited. I've been a member of this forum since August of 2018 so I'm fairly familiar with the troubles that some have reported. Early on I was extremely worried about the reliability of the Spyder but those fears have passed. I've had such a good experience with mine during the first year that it makes me wonder if I'm the only one whose had such a satisfying experience.

Tires: After 6500 miles, my OEM Kenda's still look new - literally! I can't see any detectable wear on either of the fronts or the rear. Admittedly, I had a laser alignment early on so maybe that helped, but I've never to this day experienced an imbalance or out-of-round feeling that some have reported. Dressed with all of my gear I weigh in at about 220 lbs and I always, 100% of the time, ride solo. I keep 19 psi cold pressure in the fronts and 30 psi cold in the rear, checked weekly. I know some may not agree with these pressures but they work for me. Granted, I have nothing to compare to but so far I'm completely satisfied with the OEM Kenda tires.

Vibrations: Even though I never felt any abnormal vibrations (at any speed or RPM), I purchased the belt dampener setup from Lamont after a few months of ownership. After installation, I couldn't feel any difference, at any speed or RPM, with or without the dampener. My Spyder seems to be smooth throughout the RPM range in any gear. Belt tension, as checked on the ground with a Cricket is around 165 and belt alignment is right on. Long story short, I removed the belt dampener and sold it. Spyder is still smooth and one less thing for me to worry about.

Mirror shake: Took Shawn Smoak's advice and added rubber O-rings to the front mirror mounting pins. Mirror shake gone. Cost; less than a dollar.

BRP Connect: No issues. I purchased Sygic maps to use for navigation with BRP connect and it's great! Nav audio directions play through all six speakers and auto-volume is lower at idle and higher at speed - works great! Plenty loud even at 70mph with a full coverage helmet. Sold my Garmin 660LM and use Sygic / BRP Connect whenever I need to use navigation. I don't ride with others and I don't use a helmet headset so I can't comment of other features of BRP Connect.

I've added very few accessories. BRP drivers back rest, 7Jurock 20" windscreen, Lamonster brake rod and brake pedal and LED headlights and fog lights. Oh, and a frame mounted bottle holder. That's it.

I sold a 2015 Gold Wing (which I put 49K miles on) to buy my Spyder. Would I buy another Spyder - In a Heart Beat!

Maybe I'm just not as picky as some but I for one am a satisfied customer !
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Your right on.

My signature says it all.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-27-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have had zero issues with my 2018 F3-T that I purchased April of last year and have about 10000 miles on it. My wife has a 2019 RT Limited that did have tire balance and belt vibration issues..rebalanced tires and added centramatics plus a belt tensioner and those problems are gone. This year going to Houma LA spyder event, then New Orleans followed by the Southeast Ohio Spyder event and then Deadwood 3 wheeler event....plenty of miles to find any problems during the second year. Love our Spyders!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had my 2016 F3T for 4 years now and over 45,000 miles with no issues at all and I ride it
    like I just stole it and the cops are on my tail! I cruise on the interstate most of the time around 80 MPH
    to 90 MPH and sometimes I hit over a 100 MPH on a regular basis and the bike seems to love it (I know I do).
    So yes the Spyders are very dependable and lots of fun and safer than 2 wheels!

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I am going into my 5th year with my 2012 RTL. I bought it used with only 8500 miles on it and am now at 53000+ trouble free miles. I have been to D3WR twice, Red Rock Spyder Rally 3 times, Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone twice, Montrose Co. Down to Yuma, all over Wyoming, every corner Utah. It is smooth to ride and even tho it is a VTwin, it is smooth, powerful, comfortable, and reliable. I love it. It has kept me in the saddle and knees in the breeze. Thanks for starting this post.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Good to hear success stories! Sometimes all we hear are the complaints and that can make people who follow the board paranoid about buying a spyder.
    I have only had a few months on mine, so I will wait until at least a year is up to comment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Well, yesterday, January 25th was the one-year anniversary that I took delivery of my 2019 F3 Limited. I've been a member of this forum since August of 2018 so I'm fairly familiar with the troubles that some have reported. Early on I was extremely worried about the reliability of the Spyder but those fears have passed. I've had such a good experience with mine during the first year that it makes me wonder if I'm the only one whose had such a satisfying experience.

Tires: After 6500 miles, my OEM Kenda's still look new - literally! I can't see any detectable wear on either of the fronts or the rear. Admittedly, I had a laser alignment early on so maybe that helped, but I've never to this day experienced an imbalance or out-of-round feeling that some have reported. Dressed with all of my gear I weigh in at about 220 lbs and I always, 100% of the time, ride solo. I keep 19 psi cold pressure in the fronts and 30 psi cold in the rear, checked weekly. I know some may not agree with these pressures but they work for me. Granted, I have nothing to compare to but so far I'm completely satisfied with the OEM Kenda tires.

Vibrations: Even though I never felt any abnormal vibrations (at any speed or RPM), I purchased the belt dampener setup from Lamont after a few months of ownership. After installation, I couldn't feel any difference, at any speed or RPM, with or without the dampener. My Spyder seems to be smooth throughout the RPM range in any gear. Belt tension, as checked on the ground with a Cricket is around 165 and belt alignment is right on. Long story short, I removed the belt dampener and sold it. Spyder is still smooth and one less thing for me to worry about.

Mirror shake: Took Shawn Smoak's advice and added rubber O-rings to the front mirror mounting pins. Mirror shake gone. Cost; less than a dollar.

BRP Connect: No issues. I purchased Sygic maps to use for navigation with BRP connect and it's great! Nav audio directions play through all six speakers and auto-volume is lower at idle and higher at speed - works great! Plenty loud even at 70mph with a full coverage helmet. Sold my Garmin 660LM and use Sygic / BRP Connect whenever I need to use navigation. I don't ride with others and I don't use a helmet headset so I can't comment of other features of BRP Connect.

I've added very few accessories. BRP drivers back rest, 7Jurock 20" windscreen, Lamonster brake rod and brake pedal and LED headlights and fog lights. Oh, and a frame mounted bottle holder. That's it.

I sold a 2015 Gold Wing (which I put 49K miles on) to buy my Spyder. Would I buy another Spyder - In a Heart Beat!

I don't feel you are picky. I am on my 4th Spyder - a 2018 RT Limited - and have NEVER had any real problem with any of them. the negative comments you see on this site are the very minority - we just don't hear enough from the satisfied people like you..
    the navigation system is a bit challenging but I'm "technically challenged" so that is my issue. I do appreciate yur comments on what yu purchased to enhance the system..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Had a 2015 RTS. No real problems. Enjoyed 20,000 miles on it. My current 2018 F3L is a blast. Only problem was the auto shift lever wouldn't shift unless pushed hard. That was at over 10,000 miles. Replaced under warranty. There is known issues with 2018 shift levers. Hope they changed suppliers. But sure love the way it rides and handles.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

....Thank You for your excellent report. I have enjoyed my RTL. Had a water pump failure the first 6 months of ownership. Nothing but great 'Ryde Time' since . Enjoy your Ryde Time and Always Ryde Safe.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Had the 2019 F3-S for 9 months now. Got almost 8,000 miles on it. Had zero problems with it. Nothing to really complain about. The Kenda on the rear is worn down and needs to be changed, but I got a new tire of a different brand in the shop ready. I have no complaints so far. It has been at least as dependable as the Harley was and shakes a lot less.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

This has been my experience as well. I've had my 2018 F3L for 11 months and 6,000 miles. Tires are still good, no problems with anything.

I added the belt tensioner, and a F4 windshield which were good additions. I did notice the belt vibration intermittently when at highway speeds and the tensioner took care of that.

My only negative is the BRP connect which I have never sorted out and the poor stereo speakers. I took the easy way out and simply use my phone for nav and music run through my helmet headset.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

As it has been stated many times. Forums are like doctors. Many times people only visit when they have a problem. How many times do you drop into tell your doctor that everything is fine and you have no problems? I don't even think about a doctor when everything is going well.

You can go to any forum about any vehicle and you're going to get an overwhelming feeling that you don't want to own that ride. My brother was all hot to purchase a VW TDi because I told him how much I liked mine. But his wife read an article about the grenading fuel pump issues VW had when they switched to low sulfur fuels (who knew that sulfur is a lubricant?!). So, even though with a bit more research, (which I provided links to) describing how the problem was solved by the 2012 production year. She wouldn't touch one at all. "Unreliable" she said. The one my brother was looking at was a 2014. 3 years beyond the issue. He loved it, and she did too until the article she read.

I am on my 2nd VW TDi, my son has one, my other brother purchased one, and I've got several friends with basically the same vehicle. All with zero issues. That's not to say that VW TDi's are problem free, or that you shouldn't do your homework. There are rides out there that you would do well to steer away from. But it all needs to be kept in context if you want to get an accurate impression of what you are looking at.

BRP and the Spyder have been getting steadily better as they go. Heading in the right direction is important. Always knowing that we will never 'Arrive'. No vehicle ever has. Though some have gotten close.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-27-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm, LifeLongRider, another convert from a GW, impressive thread here.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say that your experience is what most Spyder Ryders have experienced. Very typical! Just over 72000 spyder miles for me.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

18 F3 Ltd here with 8000 km. apart from a squeak at the front [easily fixed] and a new rear car tire, everything is fine, i even like the new dash screen.

Spyder Garage

I am so glad I found this post. I was getting ready to post the same question, does anyone actually have a good Spyder experience. This post is a refreshing take on Spyder reliability. I had a 2015 RTS that I liked but I did have a recall at 60 miles and then problem free for the 4K miles I owned it. Sold it and went back to 2 wheels. Came to my senses and now have my 2nd a 2015 F3S. I bought last year with 3400 miles and now it is around 4500 miles that are problem free and I like the F3 a lot. It seems ready for a new rear tire soon but otherwise it has been great. This year I am looking to ride much more and am looking forward to this year Spyder experiences.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RosieriderKY View Post
    I am so glad I found this post. I was getting ready to post the same question, does anyone actually have a good Spyder experience. This post is a refreshing take on Spyder reliability. I had a 2015 RTS that I liked but I did have a recall at 60 miles and then problem free for the 4K miles I owned it. Sold it and went back to 2 wheels. Came to my senses and now have my 2nd a 2015 F3S. I bought last year with 3400 miles and now it is around 4500 miles that are problem free and I like the F3 a lot. It seems ready for a new rear tire soon but otherwise it has been great. This year I am looking to ride much more and am looking forward to this year Spyder experiences.
    There is a good side. See post #12 above. Ron explains it well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will admit the first 1000mi were ugly mostly due to BRP poor part availability leading to ridiculous repair times! BUT... the last 7000mi have been pure pleasure! 18 rtl

Spyder Garage

I was going to stay out of it, because I'm the squeaking wheel. I've had a horrible time with my 2018 RTL.

Bought April 2019, new with 0 miles. In May with 800 miles I replaced the Kenda front tires because they wouldn't balance. Put car tires on. First parking brake failure and water pump leak in July 2019 with 1967 miles. Know issue, left hand switch pack and failed water pump. Second parking brake failure October 2019, another known issue, parking brake drive motor at 3327 miles. Somewhere in there I had to install the rear shock absorber centralizer bushings as they neglected to put them on from the factory.

So I was about satisfied that I had overcome all the substandard components that BRP installs in their machines. I almost convinced myself that the bike was reliable, at a little over 4000 miles on it. My thought is you can beat any machine into submission and make it reliable.

Today was a beautiful day, so I took some time to get throttle therapy. A short 100 mile loop just to clear the mind. Stopped at a friends house to chat, bike failed to start. So it is sitting in his yard, waiting on me to get a battery and replace it. A little over 4200 miles, the bike isn't even 1 year on the road, battery tender every time it's parked. I pulled the battery, and even though I'm convinced it doesn't matter it has the wrong battery in it. It is a Yuasa YTX24 HL, sealed lead acid battery, and my manual lists a Yuasa YTX24 HL-BS AGM battery as the OEM part.

I'm convinced I got a Friday afternoon model. I feel fairly confident in the drive line as it is Rotax. It is the peripheries that cause all this grief. In replacing the rear tire I found Chinese rear wheel bearings, which I replaced with first tier bearings. So your mileage may vary. Buy the long warranty, and make sure your dealer is in it for the long haul with excellent service. Wonder if they'll warranty the battery?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

That's BS - as in bottle supplied. A non-BS battery is factory filled. A BS battery comes dry and the purchaser adds the acid from the bottle supplied in the box with the battery. Lead acid / AGM who cares???

The rest of it is normal for a Spyder as you now know.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

trust me, you speak like the majority of [Spyder owners! I've had 4 Spyders dating back to 2010 and nary a problem with any of them.. Happy riding.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Over 100 MPH??? WOW! Do you know what is the top end speed on a 1330 Spyder???? I don't want to try but was just wondering...
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Over 100 MPH??? WOW! Do you know what is the top end speed on a 1330 Spyder???? I don't want to try but was just wondering...
    BIG F
    They will go well over 100 MPH. Been up to around 105 a few time. I have read that the stock ECM will start backing off at about 108, but you can flash the ECM and go faster. Gets a little squirrelly over 100 MPH, specially if there is a little wind.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver