Spyder Garage

Default Heated Gear Question

Has anyone experienced both Gerbing and Warm & Safe heated jackets and pant liners? Do you have a preference?

Any details you would care to pass on would be appreciated.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Can't help. I have Gerbing and my bride has warm n safe. Both have performed well for years

Spyder Garage

I have both and I prefer The Warm and Safe. I think the heat is more even in the Warm and Safe. If you are an AMA member they also give you a healthy discount.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thank you fjray and pegasus1300. Wish I had gone ahead and placed my order a couple months ago. Seems even down here in MS it can get too cold to ride, when it's not raining.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

look at mobile warming there 12 volt stuff is great bonus also has a battery so can be used for other things

Spyder Garage

I had both, but sold the Gerbing jacket because the wire bundle in the left pocket area became really annoying. Warm & Safe jacket is more comfortable. That being said, the 90-watt jacket gets warmer on the chest and arms, but my back feels cooler. So I got a Gerbing vest and it has more consistent heat between chest and back plus a much warmer collar. So now I bounce back and forth between the two. The vest gets me through most weather condition. Your mileage may very.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Thank you fjray and pegasus1300. Wish I had gone ahead and placed my order a couple months ago. Seems even down here in MS it can get too cold to ride, when it's not raining.
    We are finding the same in AR. And...we came from Alaska. What was comfortable there, now seems cold and edgy. And...I LIKE the heat in the summer. It's 50's and sunny...I am riding today.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We both have the Warm and Safe 4th generation heated jacket liners. It's fantastic stuff for the cold weather riding in Minnesota and beyond.
    We have ridden here in the teens without any issues from the gear for close to 10 years now.
    With the heat troller you can have heat dialed on all of the time or dial it back for pulse heating. Too HOT, turn it off and you have a wind breaker to block the wind to your upper body.
    Well worth the investmant

I think they also make the First Gear brand.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    We both have the Warm and Safe 4th generation heated jacket liners. It's fantastic stuff for the cold weather riding in Minnesota and beyond.
    We have ridden here in the teens without any issues from the gear for close to 10 years now.
    With the heat troller you can have heat dialed on all of the time or dial it back for pulse heating. Too HOT, turn it off and you have a wind breaker to block the wind to your upper body.
    Well worth the investmant

I think they also make the First Gear brand.

T.P.
    Yes they do and BajaRon also sells that at significant discount. Call him and ask for price.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My brother has a set of Gerbing - pants and jacket liners - but rarely uses them. I have a heated vest I bought back when Cortech first started selling them. I liked that they came with the controller and that it was a simple push button hi/med/low and that it had a strap to attache to the leg. I still have it and it still works, but my ride is so short - 15 miles - and the wind protection on my last couple of bikes and the Spyder is so good I haven't needed it.

I also had a set of Widder heated gloves. Loved those; they only had an on/off switch, but the heat was perfect. One of them quit working a few years later, but by then Widder was out of business.

I recall back 5-6 years ago that Gerbing sold the company and that the new owners weren't honoring the lifetime warranty. I'm given to understand that the Gerbing family started another heated gear business, but I'm not sure what the name is.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use all Gerbing clothing and the Warm & Safe remote HeatTroller. Probably 75,000 miles with the Gerbings stuff and ~50,000 with the HeatTRoller. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments and experiences everyone.
    Sure could have used the gear yesterday. Clinton, MS to Mobile, AL and back. Started at 46 degrees and foggy. Should have gotten better rather quickly.
    Nope, dropped to 39 degrees and fog lasted for 120 miles. Then it turned into a great day for a ride..........except the last 5 miles back home when it started to rain.

Spyder Garage

I have a Tourmaster heated 12v vest. It has a rheostat for great variation of heating needs. I have appreciated it on cool late spring/early summer rides up in Canada. This year, if the weather cooperates, we'll be heading for the Ozarks... but if the weather doesn't cooperate during the planned week, I will break it out to circle Lake Superior again (an awesome ride).

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have the Hot Wired jacket we purchased at Cycle Gear. We have used them for five years and have had no problems. I also have a Hot Wired vest and like it. We once spent 8 hours on a January ride a it was 27 degrees all day and we were comfortable all day long.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I have and use 1st gear ( 90 Watts) heated jacket (premium riding equipment) designed and manufactured by Warm& Safe Heated Gear, LLC which i use on the my sled & spyder. I have no complaints works well.

I also have and use First Gear Dual Heat Troller By Warm Safe Heated Gear, LLC. I have no complaints. I have had the First Gear Dual Heat Troller for 3 years, and I use it on my spyder, and sled.

I live in Vermont, the spyder riding season is from April to Oct. and sled season is from Dec. to March.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Gerbing battery powered jacket. I like the flexibility of it. I can use it when on my tractor, etc.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I thought about going the battery route Mr. white, but I know I would be tempted to wear them to work and everything would get destroyed.

What I wound up going with was the Warm n Safe Heat Layer Shirt and the pants liners. Still some time to get good use out of it this year and I can find out if it meets my needs or not.

Thanks again everyone......................Ed

Spyder Garage

I've got first gear jacket and pants and insoles. I rode last fall in 25 degree weather for a number of days worked great.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

There is a new design that uses both bike powered hookup and lithium ion battery in the jacket/pants. This way the motorcycle battery powers the clothing when plugged in. And it reverts to the lithium ion battery(s) when unplugged from the bike giving you heat off the bike as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I see OP has made his purchase, but for anyone else considering extending their riding season, Warm and Safe, Gerbing, First Gear, Harley Davidson, Toumaster and many others use the same kind of 12v coax connector, and are interchangable. I have Gerbing jacket liner, Gerbing Gloves and a Harley dual controller. My wife has a Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner, Warm and Safe pants, a single Gerbing controller and a dual First Gear controller (If she doesn't wear the heated pants she will use the single controller.) We have all wired gear, as we have had it for a while. If I was to get new, I probably would go for wireless controllers. The gear itself still has to be hard wired to the bike, unless you go for the battery operated liners, but on those the heat output is usually less, and on some trips you may need extra batteries and a way to recharge.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Guess I'll get to try the new gear out in the morning. Thinking about a trip down the Trace to Natchez then on to Red Stick. Should be low 30's to start.