Thread: cruise control

Spyder Garage

Default cruise control

How many miles to break in before using cruise control?

TIA

Spyder Garage

The manual states alternating RPM for the first 600 miles.
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

what would you do to alternate RPM other than shift thru gears and move forward. I don't see how anyone could do any less. I mean the dealer is 30 miles away, maybe 1/2 hwy 60 mph and the other have 35, 45, 55, and yes the first day drive home I used the cruise. Other than driving on the hwy at 60-70 and changing gears 5/6. One week old now and 300 miles and about 100 is with cruise ON.. I guess IM screwed
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Used cruise control when I rode my new RT home from the dealership. Three years and 32,000 miles later and no ill effects yet. I did avoid trying to do burnouts and lugging the engine, but then I never do that stuff with my Spyder anyway. I have other toys for that kind of play. Ride it like you are going to ride it and worry less.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Used cruise control when I rode my new RT home from the dealership. Three years and 32,000 miles later and no ill effects yet. I did avoid trying to do burnouts and lugging the engine, but then I never do that stuff with my Spyder anyway. I have other toys for that kind of play. Ride it like you are going to ride it and worry less.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydonna View Post
    what would you do to alternate RPM other than shift thru gears and move forward. I don't see how anyone could do any less. I mean the dealer is 30 miles away, maybe 1/2 hwy 60 mph and the other have 35, 45, 55, and yes the first day drive home I used the cruise. Other than driving on the hwy at 60-70 and changing gears 5/6. One week old now and 300 miles and about 100 is with cruise ON.. I guess IM screwed
    Don't run the bike for extended times at the same RPM for the first 600 miles. Cruise control on a flat highway maintaining the same RPM for extended time is what they want the owner to avoid during breakin. Just alternate say 3200 RPM, then 3600 RPM then 3800 RPM, etc. Dont just sit at 4,000 RPM for 20 minutes straight with cruise control on. This is to ensures that everything wears in equally when everything is brand new. Standard for any new engine really, just each manufacturer puts their own time period or mileage on the clock.

Snip from the 2020 owners manual, Page 48 -

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 14.46.36.jpg

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 14.47.18.png
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

My last bike 2015 RTL I used cruise control as soon as I left the dealership Went home loaded it and the trailer up and then proceeded to put 3200 miles on it in 7 days riding the Smokey Mountains motorcycle routes. I traded it in this past November for my 2019 F3L and it had over 30k on it and the only issue I had was the tail of the dragon ate my front tires and brakes. Other than that no issues. Planning the same trip this spring as soon as the weather breaks on my F3L and planning to do the exact same thing
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents