Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Went and saw 3 new 2020 RTL's today. Two were Blue Chrome and the other is Chalk Chrome. I was impressed with all the changes made since my 2015 RTL. However, all 3 had some issues with fit and finish in my humble opinion. All three have an unacceptably large gap at the rear panel that is the filler between the passenger handgrip attach fittings. You can see a panel screw under the filler, through the gap. This is on both sides. Also, at the rear grip handles, there are rubber boots where the handles attach that do not stay flat on the panel. I'm not nit-picking here, these are all water intrusion problem areas. On one bike, in the showroom, a plastic filler panel was missing. I told the service tech about it in case it was lost in the crate. He said they were aware of it and that Can Am said that the piece was not available for order. In my photo, look closely between the end of the handlebar, and the mirror. Other than these spots, the changes are very impressive! The riding position is much better and the extended floor boards are a huge improvement. The extended rear fender should now control rear wheel spray onto passengers. As we watched, one of the blue ones sold and was being outfitted with the drivers backrest and passenger armrests. The drivers backrest is a must, but the passenger armrests only swing out about an inch. I would have liked to see them pivot upwards for ease of passenger entry. That said, I really want to see the red one. The blue is very nice!

Here's the panel gap

Shawn Smoak has multiple you tube videos about the 2020 RTs. One covers all lack of QC issues. I've heard of some paint issues in addition to the gaps and misfitting pieces, parts.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Visited our local dealer and saw the first 2020 RT they've received. It's very nice, I liked the additional storage a lot and I didn't note any assembly defects. The seat and seating position generally seem to be better, but it now has the same problem the F3 has, and that is that the body sticks outward right where my knees want to be. I know this probably wouldn't affect anyone who doesn't have a 35" or 36" inseam but it does affect me, and I just don't see what point they were trying to make with it. It's not as bad as the F3 but that sharp edge of fiberglass on the F3 is downright painful for me and was the #1 reason I didn't buy an F3 in the first place. I also prefer the handlebar position on my 2017 RT, maybe you can swap out different bars but what's stock isn't any improvement for me. All in all I can't see this as really a "great leap forward" over my own 2017 RT.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I wonder how many dealers will be able to do the retrofit correctly the first time.... given the new construction of the bike?

Also, if you read the comments below that YouTube video, you will see the BRP Rep. response, which is pretty interesting to me.
    There clearly was only a limited attempt by BRP to inform the dealers/techs NOT to remove those zip ties which apparently have a structural integrity role. The BRP comment that they released (with known flaws) so that riders can ride asap is disingenuous- it was a sales/profit decision. At just under $30k these bikes aren’t a value purchase they occupy the luxury/premier level of the market segment and quality should match that. A dealer should be briefing all potential buyers about the issues and future fixes BEFORE they purchase.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As much as I love the 2020 and thinking about it sitting in my garage, this is the one of the worst corporate decision BRP could make, the communication with dealers sucks. So what's up with them trying to hide the problem, makes me wonder what else is under the Tupperware to be discovered?? It just makes no sense to take a fine machine and introduce it to riders with all this business. All this hog wash of, 'get it on the market with all those known imperfections' is just BS. There, I said it, it's just my opinion, that's all it is and of course, worth nothing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    As much as I love the 2020 and thinking about it sitting in my garage, this is the one of the worst corporate decision BRP could make, the communication with dealers sucks. So what's up with them trying to hide the problem, makes me wonder what else is under the Tupperware to be discovered?? It just makes no sense to take a fine machine and introduce it to riders with all this business. All this hog wash of, 'get it on the market with all those known imperfections' is just BS. There, I said it, it's just my opinion, that's all it is and of course, worth nothing.
    A valid point. For sure, everyone is watching the whole scenario close. I would have gone from buy now, to wait for the fixes. As posted earlier, BRP has a big chance to make some "brownie" points if they act quickly and correctly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    There clearly was only a limited attempt by BRP to inform the dealers/techs NOT to remove those zip ties which apparently have a structural integrity role. The BRP comment that they released (with known flaws) so that riders can ride asap is disingenuous- it was a sales/profit decision. At just under $30k these bikes aren’t a value purchase they occupy the luxury/premier level of the market segment and quality should match that. A dealer should be briefing all potential buyers about the issues and future fixes BEFORE they purchase.

First off, I am not a Can Am "basher".....I love my 2017 RTS and it has been relatively trouble-free well worth the purchase price...miles of smiles. BUT....it is at the high-end luxury portion of the market. What would Porsche, Bentley, or Ferrari have done if they had spotted a problem like this during factory assembly of their automobiles? Somehow I think zip ties, and promises of a fix later, would not have been an option they would have even considered.

Hank

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Totally agree w/you ARtraveler, I think BRP has a winner here, I really hope they don't screw it up.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    ........ I really hope they don't screw it up.
    That was the problem they couldn’t because the holes didn’t line up

For all those that have had the misfortune to have those issue I really do hope BRP make it a priority to get the fix out to dealers so that replacements can be made ASAP
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Well, all of the reservations I expressed in my previous post changed my perspective once I rode the machine. It rode brilliantly. I was so impressed that I bought the one I test rode right away, months before I was thinking about pulling that trigger.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow KX, that's quite a testimonial, congrats. Wifey and I will be going to the Eutis FL dealer not this week, but next, I may get the itch and do something impulsive, I hope not. :>)

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    . I actually like the looks of the new RT, but that large area up front does look a little weird, and as stated, will be a heck of a job to keep clean. I hope to see one in person over the next few weeks. Nothing local yet, but I hear they have them in Winston Salem, which is about 1 1/2 hour away.
    I live about an hour away from Winston. Honda, Sea-Doo & Can Am of Winston (I'll bet their business cards are HUGE) claim to have (2) new RTLs. It looks like they have real pics on their website, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I just saw my first 2020 RT in person...

No locking glove box. It's got a USB plug for your cell phone...

However, due to the shape change helmet storage is now available in the top case.
    Having a USB in the glovebox would be nice. I just realized that the only USB on my new 2018 was in the frunk. Not terribly convenient since I can't figure out how to use the BRP Connect to get music off my phone or navigation.

My 3/4 lid fits nicely in the frunk but I don't know that my modular will (haven't checked yet). I don't see any other place to store (not hang) a lid. I almost bought an F3L just so I had a convenient place for the helmet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I live about an hour away from Winston. Honda, Sea-Doo & Can Am of Winston (I'll bet their business cards are HUGE) claim to have (2) new RTLs. It looks like they have real pics on their website, anyway.

Having a USB in the glovebox would be nice. I just realized that the only USB on my new 2018 was in the frunk. Not terribly convenient since I can't figure out how to use the BRP Connect to get music off my phone or navigation.

My 3/4 lid fits nicely in the frunk but I don't know that my modular will (haven't checked yet). I don't see any other place to store (not hang) a lid. I almost bought an F3L just so I had a convenient place for the helmet.
    It's a 2 step process. You first link/connect your phone via bluetooth. Go to settings on the RT, then select bluetooth, then select phone. Open settings on your phone and go to bluetooth. Connect the phone to BRP Connect option. Then select the music note symbol on the RT. Select bluetooth as your option for music.

Spyder Garage

I took out the 2020 Spyder RT Limited with my wife yesterday, first 2 up ride since I got it. Road well, but just like the 2012 I had I will be upgrading the sway bars. Riding alone I was satisfied but with both of us on twisty mountain roads I think the new sway bars will be better. For the record, I am not an expert so this is only my opinion. I am waiting for the heated comfort seat and hitch to come in (Mid March I hear) so that I can pull the trailer for a three day photography camping trip in the Shenandoah mountains.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post

Your helmet should fit just fine. I have an XL Arai full face (a dimensionally very large helmet) and it fits in the frunk with room to spare. Both my helmet and my wife's modular Schuberth fit in the top case, which it wouldn't do on the old RT.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

According to my wife (who knows all things color), marsala is a bit of a tomato red, i.e. a bit orangish. For that reason, I decided not to wait for the Marsala and get the chalk white. Hope I don't regret it, because I'd love a candy-apple red.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!