Spyder Garage

Default Battery Charging Connector

Hi everyone,

My 2019 Spyder F3L has a wire hanging loose in the Frunk for charging. With its cover removed, it has one electrode exposed, with the other recessed. I have a charger, but it only has those big alligator clips. Is there a way to use this charger with that connection - an adaptor maybe. Or do I need to get a charger with that type of connector?

Thanks.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello wmjkweber02. You want to make sure and use a good battery maintainer like a Battery Tender Jr. to maintain your battery, do not use a straight battery charger or trickle charger. If you don't have the right charger get one they are not expensive and you can get them any where. A battery maintainer will shut it self off when the battery is full and come back on when needed so the battery will not get over charged and damaged.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I understand the difference between a maintainer and a charger. In this case, I accidentally left the ignition on and the battery discharged to the point it won't turn the starter. - 11.5 volts. So in this case I need a charger.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ok now I understand, I'll Let some others chime in on that. I would just pull the battery and charge it with a charger at no more than 2 amps ( very slow charge ), than make sure it will hold the charge. But someone with an F3L may know a shot cut we don't know so I'll watch this too.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Use the charger with alligator clips to charge and get battery back up.
    Than get a maintainer to plug into existing harness when not in use

Spyder Garage

My RT had that SAE plug in the Frunk but the hood hasta be open to use it or the cord leaves a groove in the molding. So, I use this type of plug-in and the male end on my battery charger/maintainer connected to battery via a fuse bank. I also use it to plug in my heated gear. I installed it in the speaker grill which pops out easily. Also, doing it this way makes it obvious that you need to disconnect the charger BEFORE driving out of the garage.

Cllena Motorcycle DIN Hella Powerlet 12v Power Socket Outlet Plug Waterproof
    by Cllena
    Copy this and Paste it into Amazon search
    In answer to your original question,,,Yes there are adaptors also available on Amazon. They're called SAE connecters/adaptors to search. Most newer battery chargers come with the SAE connecter. The exposed leg is the ground.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    Hi everyone,

My 2019 Spyder F3L has a wire hanging loose in the Frunk for charging. With its cover removed, it has one electrode exposed, with the other recessed. I have a charger, but it only has those big alligator clips. Is there a way to use this charger with that connection - an adaptor maybe. Or do I need to get a charger with that type of connector?

Thanks.
    If you're handy you can make an easy fix. First, make sure your charger has a setting to charge at only about 1 to 3 amps. Then go to an auto parts store and buy a one foot 2 conductor extension with the SAE ends on it. After you make sure which end you want to plug into you pigtail, cut the other one off and strip the wires. Then carefully connect the alligator clips to the bare wires. Just make sure you got the polarity correct, although if you have a good charger it should detect a reverse connection and shut off.

Or, better yet, if you don't have one buy a good charger/maintainer with a max output of 2 to 3 amps. Most of them come with several end pieces, one of which will have the SAE connector you need.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I would first make sure that this wire your talking about is in fact hooked to the battery for charging!!! I would not take it for granted! And if this is a one time deal to jump it go for it!!! Use the gator clamps
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are willing to do it , cut off the alligator clamps and install a removeable connector that can be used for both the alligator and the battery tender cable. Solder and use heat shrink tubing.

Its a safer this way than leaving exposed wires and clamping to wires.

Spyder Garage

Go buy a Battery Tender Jr and plug one end into the wall and the other end into the wires hanging from your battery. Wait overnight. The battery will be charged and you can then use it for keeping your battery topped off by plugging it in whenever you're not using the Spyder.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT