Spyder Garage

Default New rear tire/Laser alignment now or wait ?

I'll start off by stating that I have a 2019 F3-S with 3200 miles on the odo. Of those 3200 miles, approx 1400 are easy interstate miles from a trip. Lots of tread left and the tires are wearing nicely. Ok .. I've been reading/rereading just about every damn tire thread their is to see. Based on that reading, I have a brand new pair of Vredestein front tires waiting for me to install. I bought new fronts for the obvious reasons. i.e. better handling, better steering, better braking ability and smoother ride. With 7" of new snow on the ground, I'm not too motivated to hurry up and change them. I also have a new upgraded sway bar waiting to be installed. Now that leads to my question. Along with the new fronts/sway bar, I also plan on getting a laser alignment come spring. I easily have another season left on the rear, as with two machines, I'll likely only put about 6k miles on the F3. Should I spend the extra $$ now for a new rear tire + laser alignment, or wait till I need a new rear tire ? In my reading, I see more of an urgency to replace the fronts than the rear. I won't spend the $$ on a laser alignment now if I go another season with the OEM rears. Rear tire choice ? Ha General, Cooper, Vredestein, etc all TBD. "Looking" like like I'll go the 215/60R route to split the diff between the OEM 225 and 205 widths. Again, TBD. Thanks for thoughts/opinions/input

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

If your drive belt is adjusted where you like it get the alignment done. Changing the rear tire doesn't change the alignment as long as you do not turn the wheel adjusters. New tire and wheel will be in the same spot.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Keep the oem rear tire until you use it up.

Get the alignment when you install the front tires. Replacing the rear tire will not change the alignment.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I'll start off by stating that I have a 2019 F3-S with 3200 miles on the odo. Of those 3200 miles, approx 1400 are easy interstate miles from a trip. Lots of tread left and the tires are wearing nicely. Ok .. I've been reading/rereading just about every damn tire thread their is to see. Based on that reading, I have a brand new pair of Vredestein front tires waiting for me to install. I bought new fronts for the obvious reasons. i.e. better handling, better steering, better braking ability and smoother ride. With 7" of new snow on the ground, I'm not too motivated to hurry up and change them. I also have a new upgraded sway bar waiting to be installed. Now that leads to my question. Along with the new fronts/sway bar, I also plan on getting a laser alignment come spring. I easily have another season left on the rear, as with two machines, I'll likely only put about 6k miles on the F3. Should I spend the extra $$ now for a new rear tire + laser alignment, or wait till I need a new rear tire ? In my reading, I see more of an urgency to replace the fronts than the rear. I won't spend the $$ on a laser alignment now if I go another season with the OEM rears. Rear tire choice ? Ha General, Cooper, Vredestein, etc all TBD. "Looking" like like I'll go the 215/60R route to split the diff between the OEM 225 and 205 widths. Again, TBD. Thanks for thoughts/opinions/input
    From everything I have heard / read etc. the Vredestein Q-5 tire has the best …..SNOWY Roads …. capability of any all-season tire currently sold that will fit our Spyders ….. That probably doesn't matter because most ( if not 99.99% ) of operators won't be using them on snowy roads. ...however this ability isn't a bad thing because the Q-5 also has great traction under all conditions ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information, with the Power Commander, the Flash, and the air filter, there is WAY more power to the rear tire now, so I definitely need upgraded rubber. Thanks for the added information on the tire change data (I like the brand discussed here), and when the alignment should be done. And by the way, you should see the look people gave me when I told them they needed to be sure and have correct alignment on the Motorcycle tires too.....and yes, I align them, the markers on the swing arms are NOT guaranteed to be calibrated, so its best to get the two pieces of string out and do it right....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Awesome input, thank you !!

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue