Thread: Tank Bag?

Spyder Garage

Default Tank Bag?

On 2 wheeled motorcycles we call it a tank bag.
    What would you recommend for a 2017 RT "tank bag"?
    Something with a clear map pocket and room for "stuff"
    Thanks
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

I've seen what I remember being called a "glove box" bag. Can't recall which of the home page vendors carries them but I'd check Lamonster and Value Accessories for a start. Don't know if what's available will be large enough for your needs but it's sure worth a look.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    On 2 wheeled motorcycles we call it a tank bag.
    What would you recommend for a 2017 RT "tank bag"?
    Something with a clear map pocket and room for "stuff"
    Thanks
    Cyclemax sells two diff models, both by Hopnel. They are both on this page:

https://cyclemax.com/can_am_spyder

One of them has a large map pocket attachment for a full size map.

Spyder Garage

Has a clear map pocket to go on top, but I already know where I am going most of the time.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

BRP makes one that lays on the glove box. Has a nice storage area and a clear map pouch. I really like it, but if you get one, be sure to put something under it to protect the original paint. The vibration and just general use will leave small scuffs. Sorry, I don't have a pic on my computer, but I bought ours at the dealership. I think it was about $70.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    BRP makes one that lays on the glove box. Has a nice storage area and a clear map pouch. I really like it, but if you get one, be sure to put something under it to protect the original paint. The vibration and just general use will leave small scuffs. Sorry, I don't have a pic on my computer, but I bought ours at the dealership. I think it was about $70.
    We had those on our 2008 and 2009. They were very nice. That was an original BRP accessory catalog item back then.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yeah, put one of them stick on thick pad things under mine. It has a foam pad on the bottom, but it does move around some.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Like the "Glove Box Bag"

I own the small "glove box bag". The clear window is way too small for a map, but I can put directions or pieces of a map in it. More importantly, I can put small items that need to be close in the bag. Things like toll cards, change, a hot dog etc. It works for me.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    I own the small "glove box bag". The clear window is way too small for a map, but I can put directions or pieces of a map in it. More importantly, I can put small items that need to be close in the bag. Things like toll cards, change, a hot dog etc. It works for me.

~Sandee~
    I have the small 'glove box bag' mounted on my RT too, you can put lotsa things in it - see my avatar pic!

IIRC, that little bag was originally sold by BRP as something for the GS/RS/RSS/ST's, with a couple of different attachments included to suit fitting it to whichever model you had.... it wasn't hard at all to slightly modify the front attachment so it'd fit the RT, & all it took at the rear end was a short adjustable strap around the main frame spar with a short trailing length & a clip that passed up between the seat front & the glove box rear that made it easy enough to release so that I could still lift the 'glove box bag' (once Max was out of it, of course! ) and get into the glove box proper when I needed to. I did also cut a tiny slot in the rear base of the bag to pass a strap thru that allowed me to connect a strap onto Max's safety harness so he couldn't fall off.

And I also had a bigger but very similar 'pet carrier' bag (it was actually the smallest we could find, Max weighed in at less than 5 pounds dripping wet!) so that he could travel in fully enclosed comfort if he felt like it on longer trips, but he rarely did that. Most of the time he liked to at least have his head out in the breeze to get the wind in his face - he was very proud of his doggles & riding jacket & he loved to show them off to other road users as we passed. He rode like that with us on a variety of machines for more than 15 years, and now that he's passed on, he's very much missed.

I doubt that BRP will still be supplying that particular tank bag, simply because the Spyder models it was originally intended for are no longer produced, but it really shouldn't be all that hard to find a suitably sized tank bag with attachments that either suit or could be readily modified to suit fitting it onto an RT. You could even secure it forwards with a strap around the steering shaft, and there's a relatively easily accessed main frame spar under the front of the seat that can secure the back end.... you just hafta think a little outside the box, cos there won't be too many tank bags made specifically for a Spyder RT - after all, they've already got a glove box & more storage than some sports cars!

Have fun & Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Great responses. GPS is great, but I also like to refer to a printed map' (old guy, old school) so the one from Cyclemax looks to be a good choice.
    Thanks to all.
    Gary
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Great responses. GPS is great, but I also like to refer to a printed map' (old guy, old school) so the one from Cyclemax looks to be a good choice.
    Thanks to all.
    Me to on the printed maps. I bring a Rand McNally along for the ride. It goes into the rear trunk. I study where before the ride. If I get confused, I pull over and look at it again.

I used to put a "copy" of the page I am using in the RT glove box....but the new F3 does not have one of those.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On a trip to Texas a few years ago ( on a two wheeled BMW with a tank bag) I photocopied the pages of the route I was taking and just swapped them out as I went along. This gave me the opportunity to say "that road looks interesting" and divert from the GPS.
    Gary
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

I used to wear the old tan color deer skin gloves and write the road numbers where I was to turn on the back of the gloves with a Sharpie. Been Florida to Maine and back several times doing that. Gloves would be full of writing and somebody would always ask what it was.

GPS of course.

Spyder Garage

Found several on ebayin spyder accessories

Spyder Garage

I have one of the Hopnel's that strap onto the glove box door, and the top small one with the clear top has an attachment system that I turn to the left and it comes off and I have a large map pocket that goes on in it's place. Can't remember where I got it though. It's a glove box bag system.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

https://www.spydertalk.com/forums/to...4-rt-tank-bag/

An oldie but a goodie . My post detailing exact instructions (from another forum that was popular back then) from almost 10 years ago on converting the original brp tank bag for the gs series to the rt. This BRP tank bag is Still the best option in my opinion .
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Nelson Riggs has one

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Egads Peter, you haul you dog in this thing? I'm thinking I need more room as in the 2020 RT/RTL for two up, maybe my thinking is warped and I need to reconsider.