Spyder Garage

Default Fender Light Question

First off, not talking about the oem or aftermarket strip lights used on the RT fenders.

Curious, a while back I saw where an owner made his own forward facing white driving lights and mounted them to the inside of the fender. He was selling them for some reason and I now wish I had gotten them.

His lights mounted to the fender support bolts and turned with the wheels in a corner.

So, to focus on my question, those that run similar setups, does the rotating tire and road vibration make the light beams annoying to use when driving?

Please, I expect many will reply back with comments about LED headlight and foglight upgrades, please refrain from those replies since our RTS already has incredible forward lighting. Just reaching for more when cornering and to prevent the lights from dipping under hard braking.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    So, to focus on my question, those that run similar setups, does the rotating tire and road vibration make the light beams annoying to use when driving?
    It's been long enough ago I don't recall all the details, but I had such lights on my 2013 RT. I don't remember vibration or shaking being enough to be annoying. My lights were a fairly narrow beam so don't think they shined outside of the headlight pattern all that much during turns. I would say they didn't offer great enough additional lighting to prompt me to add them to my 2014 with its fog lights. If you don't have factory fog lights then do add the fender lights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It's been long enough ago I don't recall all the details, but I had such lights on my 2013 RT. I don't remember vibration or shaking being enough to be annoying. My lights were a fairly narrow beam so don't think they shined outside of the headlight pattern all that much during turns. I would say they didn't offer great enough additional lighting to prompt me to add them to my 2014 with its fog lights. If you don't have factory fog lights then do add the fender lights.
    Yes, have oem fog lights. At one point, our Spyder had the most light output since the vendors at the time were not offering high output LEDs. After testing the high output LEDs vs the BRP HID lights, and discussing light output and how well objects illuminate, I did reinstall the BRP HID lights because they are the most powerful Spyder lights available.

The reason I ask about fender lights, is simply that under braking the the headlights and fog lights dip, lessening the available lighted distance forward of the Spyder. The fender lights would not dip and could lead into corners also.

Just researching it all now. May do something, might not. Wish I had bought those custom built setup a few months ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check Clearwater lights I mounted them to my inner fender and they turn when I turn. May not be your price range but they have the mounts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Check Clearwater lights I mounted them to my inner fender and they turn when I turn. May not be your price range but they have the mounts.
    Which lights did you install? None are inexpensive. Kind of an odd website to navigate.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to be off topic, did you get the paypal I sent?
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

I have done this and it's mostly for conspicuity as I don't ride at night very much. The set was only $10 and change from Banggood.com including shipping. They are not as sophisticated as Clearwater's, but they do what I need them to do. I have them wired without a switch, so they are on when the ignition is on.
    ROWAN & LIGHTS 5.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I have done this and it's mostly for conspicuity as I don't ride at night very much. The set was only $10 and change from Banggood.com including shipping. They are not as sophisticated as Clearwater's, but they do what I need them to do. I have them wired without a switch, so they are on when the ignition is on.
    ROWAN & LIGHTS 5.jpg
    We do ride at night. Our HID headlights and high power LED foglights work well. Just toying with some aux lights to shine well forward and not dip under braking.

Spyder Garage

There are dozens of options on banggood.com, but if you want the best and are willing to pay the price, Clearwater lights are the tops.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Pete View Post
    Sorry to be off topic, did you get the paypal I sent?
    Yes, thank you. Wife and I are still fighting being sick.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which lights did you install? None are inexpensive. Kind of an odd website to navigate.
    Clearwater Lights they are called. I can even adjust the brightness with the adjustable pot .

Spyder Garage

Clearwater Lights they are called. I can even adjust the brightness with the adjustable pot .
    Understood Clearwater Lights, but they offer several variations and models. the lowest price is $499 and the upper end are over $1000. Even the low cost lights were dimable.

Will have a look at Banggood.com
    Baja Designs has something I like but wanting more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Understood Clearwater Lights, but they offer several variations and models. the lowest price is $499 and the upper end are over $1000. Even the low cost lights were dimable.

Baja Designs has something I like but wanting more.
    Here is a link

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/col...ng/bike_can-am

Baja designs are good lights too. Have some waiting to install on my truck.. And a set I will be selling.

Spyder Garage

Here is a link

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/col...ng/bike_can-am

Baja designs are good lights too. Have some waiting to install on my truck.. And a set I will be selling.
    Got it, somehow when I scrolled there bike list I missed Can AM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got it, somehow when I scrolled there bike list I missed Can AM
    It was not on there bike list , had to locate it another way on there site..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First off, not talking about the oem or aftermarket strip lights used on the RT fenders.

Curious, a while back I saw where an owner made his own forward facing white driving lights and mounted them to the inside of the fender. He was selling them for some reason and I now wish I had gotten them.

His lights mounted to the fender support bolts and turned with the wheels in a corner.

Please, I expect many will reply back with comments about LED headlight and foglight upgrades, please refrain from those replies since our RTS already has incredible forward lighting. Just reaching for more when cornering and to prevent the lights from dipping under hard braking.
    I don't have them mounted this way, however something to think about ….. the tire and fender etc. will bounce up / down depending on how smooth the road surface is ….. also having the light move left and right with the wheel direction imho will not be noticeable at road & highway speeds..... even making turns on city streets the wheels don't have to turn much to accomplish the task..... just some random thoughts ….. good luck tho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Enter "motorcycle led lights" in the search bar and feast your eyes. Every light comes from China with the exception of Clearwater. The only downside with ordering from Banggood is delivery takes two weeks or a bit more. Be patient if ordering from them.
    Incidentally, Banggood carries just about everything from crotchless panties to car parts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't have them mounted this way, however something to think about ….. the tire and fender etc. will bounce up / down depending on how smooth the road surface is ….. also having the light move left and right with the wheel direction imho will not be noticeable at road & highway speeds..... even making turns on city streets the wheels don't have to turn much to accomplish the task..... just some random thoughts ….. good luck tho …. Mike
    The lights bouncing I do question and asked about in the opening post. Others have said it is a non issue. Guess if I do this time will tell. The greatest issues though is under braking. I have the headlights set as high as possible without blinding others. Used the measurements given by BRP to set the lights. However under braking, especially hard braking, the lights forward range is shortened a lot from the suspension compressing. We are not heavy riders and already have Fox Shox on the front which have firmer springs.

As I say, time will tell.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The lights bouncing I do question and asked about in the opening post. Others have said it is a non issue. Guess if I do this time will tell. The greatest issues though is under braking. I have the headlights set as high as possible without blinding others. Used the measurements given by BRP to set the lights. However under braking, especially hard braking, the lights forward range is shortened a lot from the suspension compressing. We are not heavy riders and already have Fox Shox on the front which have firmer springs.

As I say, time will tell.
    about what will occur under HARD braking …. but under HARD braking how concerned are you about not seeing something quite as well that's 500 ft. away ?????? ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    about what will occur under HARD braking …. but under HARD braking how concerned are you about not seeing something quite as well that's 500 ft. away ?????? ….. Mike
    The distance decreases a lot. Around here, there a straight roads that have roundabouts along the way. Many are 50 mph down to 20 quickly. Sometimes the lighted distance might go to 100 feet and black beyond that. The fender lights would not dip so might be good. As added driving lights they may be cool too.

Spyder Garage

I have the tricled driving lights and like them a lot.No noticeable movement while driving.I did have to mod the mount a bit to keep the lights from rotating forward but wasn't a big deal.Have them switched independently on dash.Would be better to have them operate with the brights but unsure of wiring for that.I think they were about $200 but a worthwhile mod up here in the timber.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless the wheel falls into hole , it will not decrease lighting distance that much when hard braking. The nose end of the Spyder will dive downward while the wheel/fender will stay inline with the road.

Well hope you find the lights that you are looking for.

Mine also brighten up when turning on the brights.

Spyder Garage

Custom spyder works has something called fender glows im looking at

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigadd54 View Post
    Custom spyder works has something called fender glows im looking at
    That is the right idea. Unfortunately that setup is too big and clumsy looking, plus comes in at pretty low lumen power.

Thanks though.