Spyder Garage

Default New owner USB question

I just purchased a new 2019 RT Limited. I would like to use my iPhone for GPS (until I figure out BRP Connect), but can't figure out how to run my usb charging cable to the front USB. I've searched the forum for solutions to extending the connection to the area of the dash or routing cable to the front usb connection, but couldn't find anything (could be poor search wording on my part). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I have a 19 RTL too and I installed a usb power outlet on the dash to keep my phone charged and connect it to the bike via bluethooth. I don't like BRP connect at all and don't use any of the apps through the BRP app. I mount my phone to the handle bars via a ram mount kit. I can stream music, gps directions, see who's calling all on the bike's screen with some control with the joystick to change songs and volume. The BRP connect feature is useless to me. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply Chris. How difficult was it to mount a the USB power outlet? Did you use one of the empty switch slots?

Spyder Garage

Let me see if I can explain the setup on my Wife's 2019 RT. She's not a fan of the BRP connect either. I bought the Phone Mount and USB Extension kit from Lamonster Garage. While a little pricy this time it was worth it to me. I didn't wire it quite the way he does though I cheated a bit for my own sake.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...der-lamonster/

We use the X-Grip option which puts the phone squarely in the middle of the bars - excellent place for GPS. On the RT, the wife prefers portrait mode so it's mounted as such - and on my F3 I prefer landscape mode - so it's mounted as such. I did have to pull a couple of panels - don't recall at the moment which ones - to fish the USB Extension down below the Bars and to the frunk. Instead of wiring directly to the battery for power - I purchased a Battery Tender USB Plug - https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

By using that - and using the extension USB - in the event the wife wants to try BRP connect again - all she has to do is open the frunk and move the USB cable there from the Battery Tender Port to the BRP Connect Port. Fast and simple.

I hope this makes sense - if not feel free to ask questions.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joshua. I think I understand. When the phone isn't connect on the RT does the usb extension just hang loose near the center of the handlebars? Do you have a cap covering it?

Spyder Garage

Yes I put it in an empty slot, but finding a power source was challenging. Most of the switches seem to be for installation of 2014-2018 RT's and the electrical is a little different I think so I had to find my own power source, which I did by the radio amplifier. Good luck Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Thanks Joshua. I think I understand. When the phone isn't connect on the RT does the usb extension just hang loose near the center of the handlebars? Do you have a cap covering it?
    I'll try and post a picture this weekend. the extension is very clean - adhesive below the phone mount. When you order form Lamonster you can get a 1' cable as well - so that one foot cable can be removed or used for a nice clean look. Will try and post a pic later this weekend.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joshua. I appreciate a photo.

Spyder Garage

Okay - here's some pictures of the Lamonster Monster Mount with X-Grip and USB Extension.

This is the overall look.
    IMG_1956.jpg

Closer up.
    IMG_1957.jpgIMG_1958.jpg

Cable Routing
    IMG_1960.jpgIMG_1961 2.jpg
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black