Thread: F4 windshield

Spyder Garage

Default F4 windshield

I have a 2019 F3 base model and I recently installed an F4 Customs windshield in 28". It makes a world of difference riding on the highway much better ride without all the wind blasting. Here's my concern, at the highest adjustment, I get severe head buffeting. I went to lower the windshield to the lowest adjustment and it's get better but still not perfect.
    I'm a large guy 6"0 350 lbs.
    Doesn't anyone have experience with the 28" vs 32" windshields? I have reservations that the 32" will eliminate the head buffeting but then I wouldnt get any air flow to my body which wouldn't be good during the hot months.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

What do you mean by head buffeting?

Spyder Garage

Where exactly do you start to feel the wind buffeting you, Arcam? By that, I mean when you hold your hand in front of your body while riding, and slowly raise it, where do you first feel the wind buffeting you? F4s are made to provide max protection against body buffeting, which is why they are a little wider than most. My F4 25” (I have an F3-L......different height sizing) has the wind hitting me at forehead level, which drives wind into my front helmet vent, without popping my eyeballs, and I can still see over the screen. For summer, I actually use a 12” lipped screen which has the wind hitting me at chest level......that works a treat for me.

Unfortunately, we are all different in perceiving what we call buffeting, so knowing where the buffeting starts will help.

Pete

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I had the 28" f4 windshield on my f3s I did have the head buffing, I have now the 32" f4 windshield and no more head buffing works great
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

acdcking12,
    At the highest adjustment the air flows right into my helmet causing alot of pressure on my helmet (buffeting)
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

Peteoz,

The airflow goes right into the middle of my helmet, this is what causes the severe pressure on my helmet. At the lowest setting it hits the top part of my chest an this is more manageable.
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

ssmcclub,

Do you have to see through the windshield with the 32"?
    I still want to be able to see over the windshield if I switched to a 32", I'm also concerned that a 32" will elimate all air flow and become very hot during the summer months. I'm torn on what to do.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

use a taller windshield, get some Baker Built Air Wings. a sponsor on this site. I don't have any air wings just trying to help with your air flow
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

With the 32" f4 windshield you will be looking thru the shield , no distortion get the clear one good at night as well, bake air wings works great direct air in summer
    stops air in winter,I love the set up
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    With the 32" f4 windshield you will be looking thru the shield , no distortion get the clear one good at night as well, bake air wings works great direct air in summer
    stops air in winter,I love the set up
    Doesn't it matter how tall the rider is??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman2018 View Post
    Doesn't it matter how tall the rider is??
    Not in this case, Spyderman.....Arcam has said that the wind hits him in the middle of the helmet, and he is running a 28”. If you move to a 4” higher screen, that will take the wind over the top of his helmet, which will 99% guarantee that he is looking through the screen.

Arcam, you are between a rock and a hard place. The only suggestion I can make is that you look at lipped screens like Lamonster or others. This will allow you to have a screen that you can see over, while allowing you to get a screen that direct air at the top of your helmet. This will require some pretty tight measuring if you go down this route, but it depends how bad the buffeting is. You could then cut your F4 down to use for summer riding.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I had this issue with blueridge windshield, then went to an aftermarket one and it was still giving me a headache so i went back to blueridge and started cutting down the screen until i had no more buffeting. Gives me chest protection and no head buffeting i just got tired throwing money on windshields. I gave my cousin the aftermarket screen which was about an inch short and just switching his helmet solved his problem. So if you are short by an inch try a different a helmet or no helmet if you are a state with no helmet law just to see if that solves your problem
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I've had great success with an 11.5 inch (280mm) Moparty extender which you can look "through" between your F4 and itself, but don't put it on an F4 without the braces at the F4 mount (newer model.) Add the F4 hand wings if you want air in the summer. They will give you all the air you need.

I have details here, so to see MY SPYDER PAGE

Slingshot-rot.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey