Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You can buy either the fuel filter assembly that includes two Oetiker Clamps, PN 219800056, $16.49, from BRP or Cheap Cycle parts, both online, but you must have Oetiker Clamp pliers to properly install.
    They look like regular PEX plumbing clamps. Anything different about Oetiker clamps / pliers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qTw8OmbMA

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

These are the pliers I have, they have both front and side jaws. My house doesn't have any PEX stuff in it so I didn't know anything about the system, just bought the pliers the first time I changed fuel filter. Got 'em from Amazon, $30. The Oetiker clamps from BRP are each individually sized for the particular tubing by PN. Got my first parts from local Spyder dealership that was sold. Have switched to Cheap Cycle Parts where I can because nearest Can-Am dealer is now a Ride Now facility 25 miles away whose parts department I am unimpressed with; they frequently don't have the simple stuff - poor inventory management.
    https://chadstoolbox.com/knipex-10-9...kaAtKIEALw_wcB
    Last edited by JayBros; 02-15-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    They look like regular PEX plumbing clamps. Anything different about Oetiker clamps / pliers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qTw8OmbMA

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    The PEX clamps are Oetiker clamps, or a copy. Oetiker is a brand name. There are also similar clamps used for poly pipe, like irrigation, but use the same pliers. Go the Lowes or Home Depot and take a look at them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Or just replace with FI rated band clamps.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Or just replace with FI rated band clamps.
    What's that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The PEX clamps are Oetiker clamps, or a copy. Oetiker is a brand name. There are also similar clamps used for poly pipe, like irrigation, but use the same pliers. Go the Lowes or Home Depot and take a look at them.
    I already have the PEX tools and clamps, but ordered the Knipex from HD for $20 anyway. I like the side jaw feature for tight spots.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

FI rated band clamps are solid and don't cut into the fuel line as the screw is tightened. You will find the side jaws of the Knipex pliers very helpful on the Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I already have the PEX tools and clamps, but ordered the Knipex from HD for $20 anyway. I like the side jaw feature for tight spots.
    There have been any number of times I could have used a side jaw crimper. I didn't even know they existed! One thing for sure when you're crimping the ring on a 3/4" or 1" PEX - your grip had better be strong! Many times I've had to put one handle against something solid so I push harder on the other one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There have been any number of times I could have used a side jaw crimper. I didn't even know they existed! One thing for sure when you're crimping the ring on a 3/4" or 1" PEX - your grip had better be strong! Many times I've had to put one handle against something solid so I push harder on the other one.
    The PEX crimpers I use have a ratcheting feature because of the force required to crimp that steel. I'm thinking the Oetiker clamps must be of softer material since the pliers have little mechanical leverage.
    2014 RTL Platinum