Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT question

My wife and I use to own a 2014 Spyder RT limited but unfortunately we had to sell her. We are now looking into getting another RT but we are limited with funds. I really would like to get a 2014 or newer for the undated engine but there seems to be quite a few good looking bikes and decent prices for the older Spyder with the 900cc engine package which fits more to our budget. Question: can someone that has or owned the 900cc engine package tell me if there is THAT much of a difference? I know they had a heat issue for the driver and did they fix that in later years before going to the 1300cc? I also know the cruising RPM's was significantly higher. Was it a louder ride? Help please.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011, which had an issue with the throttle bodies. Fortunately since it was a known issue, Can-Am covered it. Traded it in on my 2017, which in the hills does much better with the larger engine. I think the bike itself handles better then the older one also. The sound with the 3 cylinder is different, but I don’t really think quieter. It does run lower rpm and gets better mileage.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 RT and upgraded to a 2014. Now I'm waiting for the delivery of my 2020 RT Limited.
    There were many issues with the pre-2014 Spyders.
    There were issues with the power steering in the early models. My DPS was replaced in a recall
    The PTT (push to talk) button was an issue with the CB option. My whole cluster was replaced to repair that.
    The 2013 Spyders required a heat abatement modification.
    The Twin Cylinder had poor spark plug wires. My Spyder developed a misfire after about 12,000 miles. Baja Ron has (had) a kit to replace the wires and plugs.
    There were problems with the throttle bodies. I never had the problem but others did.
    The fuel gauge was problematic. Mine was replaced three times. The 2014 seemed to sort out this problem.
    The pre-2014 suspension was poor and required upgrades.
    You'll almost certainly want the Baja Ron sway bar upgrade. The stock bar allowed the bike to wallow like a pig in turns.
    My rear shock was replaced four (yes, I said 4) times. The OEM shock is, at best, poor.
    I had a manual clutch, but there were issues with the centrifugal clutch on the paddle shift models.
    The wheel alignment from the factory seems to be kind of hit or miss. BRP replaced my front tires because of poor alignment.
    This has been solved post deployment by the new laser alignment.
    I don't know if you're planning on a communication system. The early models had wired headsets. The wires rubbed the paint off of bodywork. I would replace it with bluetooth.
    That's about all I can remember for now. I'm sure others will chime in.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I had four Spyders with the 998 engine. Two RS/GS and Two RT's. Three of the four had more than 30K miles on them when traded off. Never had a problem with any of them.

The current ones owned, a 14 RT-S and a 19 F3L both have the 1330 engine. I like them better for a few different reasons. They like lower rev's (3500 as compared to 5500). The gas mileage is about 10 mpg higher. The maintenance schedule is better. 3,000 initial oil change, 9,500 or once a year, thereafter. NO valve adjustments required. A $1K job if you follow BRP instructions every 14,000 miles. They also run quieter.

So....I am sold on the 1330's for now. Would I buy another 998? Not at this time. There are many good 998's out there, if you do your due diligence. You will save $$$$.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 with no issues. The 998 is very good. You will not get as good gas mileage as the 2014 and up but they run good. The RPMs are higher still very quiet. Look at the dos and don'ts that will tell you a little about the differences.

Gas milage 988 = 30 MPG; 2014 up 1330 = 39 MPG
    Oil change every 998 = 3000 miles; 2014 1330 = 9300 miles
    Major review & service 998 = 12000 miles; 2014 1330 = 28000 miles
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Since you're in NC here's a thought. The 2020 RTs will be in dealerships soon and there may be some '14 RTs available as trade ins. Were I in your boots I'd check with Honda/Can Am of Winston Salem about '14 or newer trade ins because if you can/want to wait until spring the inventory, and prices, may get better. Although I've not owned any Spyder other than my '14 RT-S, my experience with it through 65K miles has been great fun. The thing you must remember about the V-twins is the SE5 engine has a centrifugal clutch and must be revved to keep it fully locked up. Based on my experience I would not give up the 1330 ACE engine for the worse gas mileage and increased maintenance of a V-twin. Unless you absolutely have to do so, why buy older, no longer produced technology.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

BRP issued an update on the oil change intervals for the twins.
    file:///home/chronos/u-a369c2552869b4d8e85086a4023babb0f749b65e/MyFiles/Downloads/Updated_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf
    Bob S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

V-twin vs. 1330 …. they are like night & day ….. I wouldn't go back to the V-twin if you paid me ….. jmho …..good luck …...PS a member here has two 2015 RT-S's for sale $12,500 each & w/low miles …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

BlueKinight, can you direct me to the two 2015 RT-S. I don't see them in the "For Sale" section

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tab For Sale

Look at the FOR SALE.
    His and Her.................01/14/2020.
    Good Luck on your Mission......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I've had both, a 2010 and a 2017 both RTs. I don't recognise many of the comments others have posted. I preferred the V twin. The front suspension was more precise rather than the squidgey rubber of the 1330. The fuel consumption up to 50mph was pretty much the same, at 70 the V twin took about 2litres more per full gas tank. The higher revving of the V twin is not an issue because it only has 2 cylinders so it has pretty much the same number of firing pulses per given road speed as the 1330 3 cylinder engine. It sounds pretty much the same in exhaust note. The V twin has a different exhaust sound though, all the better for me, I liked the V twin beat.

The V twin is quicker at acceleration but has lower top speed - still tops out in the 90s so not an issue for me.

Ride quality, tyres, brake servicing etc also pretty much the same, though oils change takes a little longer.

One down side is the brakes are adequate rather than good.

If I was buying again, I'd seriously look at a V twin but with a view to fitting better brakes and more rigid steering tierods.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    V-twin vs. 1330 …. they are like night & day ….. I wouldn't go back to the V-twin if you paid me ….. jmho …..good luck …...PS a member here has two 2015 RT-S's for sale $12,500 each & w/low miles …… good luck …. Mike
    And, they are close to you in NC. This could be a match made in motorcycle heaven. Good luck shopping. Where are you located in NC?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have had a 2013 RT-S for over five years with no issues. I would even recommend the 2013 if the heat recall has been done because it has a number of the upgrades that the 2014 has except the engine. I have over 30K on the bike and have gone on 1 or 2 yearly rides of 3,000+ miles with NO problems. You would expect manufacturers to upgrade their machines over time and Can-Am did with the RT engine beginning 2014. So, there are some refinements that make the 2014 or newer models attractive but if your budget dictates an older model you will still enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

My 2012 was very good. No problems. I think it was a good year. The 13's were constantly being complained about with heat.
    Annoyances: right side was smokin' hot on summer days, cooking my foot. Oil changes were a pain before the panel retrofit. Brakes needed attention often, and the rear squeaked from day one to to seven years later, no matter if factory, EBC, or cheap Chineseum knock off pads. I feel those models had brakes that would barely cover the use.
    If you can hang in there, I think the suggestion to find a 14 and up with the 1330 (and the Brembo's) will make you much happier. I bet that market will be target rich once the 20's begin to show in the wild.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spunky13 View Post
    BlueKinight, can you direct me to the two 2015 RT-S. I don't see them in the "For Sale" section
    Not BlueKnight, but here you are: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...lack-2015-RT-S

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We started with a 2010 RT SM5, and traded up to our current 2016 RTS SE6. We love it. Yes the cruising with the 2010 was at much higher rpm and a little louder. The ride quality has improved a lot over the years. I would really look hard for 2015 or newer. We've had ZERO issues with our 2016 RT, and I do all of the maintenance to it. Ya gotta go with what you can afford, and there's nothing wrong with finding a good 998 if you have to. There are lots of them out there that are obviously still making lots of smiles....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I happen to know Olsens Outdoor Power in Atlantic, IA has a pristine 2014 RT Limited they took in on a trade and are wanting to move it quickly... It only has 4,000+ miles and top condition. How do I know all of this, well it was my trade-in for my 2018 RT Limited..
    as some others have said on this site, I would stay with the 2014 or newer models if your budget can handle it.. tks

BIG F