Spyder Garage

Default Need opinion/advice/help

Hi

So I am a newer Spyder owner and was installing heated grips on my 2019 F3 base model. I should have stop once I got the grips on. I was tired but decided to push through. I started putting the top back on and i dropped a half inch screw between the frunk and frame into the engine area. I spent over an hour and half looking for it even took the frunk out. The question I have is should I rip the front of the bike apart to find the screw? If I do not and order a new screw, do I have to worry about the screw damaging anything? What does everyone think and yes I feel stupid for losing the screw and asking this.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry too much Tec, you aren't the first to have lost something into one of the 'black holes' that Spyders have in abundance, and you certainly won't be the last, either!!

You could probably keep searching, possibly even for long enough to eventually find your lost screw - but it's very likely firmly sitting on top of one of the frame rails, on an under body tray, or somehow jammed or caught in/under there somewhere! So if you have the same experience as most of the rest of us who've lost a Spyder screw, then unless you can work out how to pick your Spyder up completely off the ground, flip it upside down, then shake vigorously, that screw is absobloodypositively G.O.N.E!!

However, as most of the rest of us Spyder/Ryker owners with a few screws loose have found, they do tend to just disappear, never to be found again, & never cause any real problems or issues... so you should probably just learn from this experience, replace that loose screw, and move on knowing how NOT to lose a screw next time!

Or maybe you'll be content to just Ride On with a few screws loose regardless.... Your choice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the club. And we are many. Now you know that stuffing rags and towels over open black holes is a good defensive measure and time well spent..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter and Jim, it is a learning experience. I appreciate all the help and the advice!!! I am going to order a new screw and be careful next time with stuffing all the black holes with rags. Also good to know I am not the only one with a few screws loose.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tec35 View Post
    Thanks Peter and Jim, it is a learning experience. I appreciate all the help and the advice!!! I am going to order a new screw and be careful next time with stuffing all the black holes with rags. Also good to know I am not the only one with a few screws loose.
    with both previous posters ….. you said " screw " …. if it didn't have a point , I would call it a bolt …. and I wouldn't worry - Period ……. I have learned from working on anything " if there are holes / spaces in the vicinity of where you are working …. take a few minutes to fill / cover them Before you start working …...jmho …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, I believe it was a screw for the top plastic cover piece. I have learned my lesson and will spend the time to cover the holes.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

That's what I call a Jesus screw, because when that happens, I yell, JESUS, where'd it go!
    I keep a wide variety of metric fasteners for that very reason - mostly.
    Solution: Take a similar screw to your local Ace Hardware and get a match, or close to it. Don't buy one, it'll happen again. Don't ask how I know that.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    That's what I call a Jesus screw, because when that happens, I yell, JESUS, where'd it go!
    I keep a wide variety of metric fasteners for that very reason - mostly.
    Solution: Take a similar screw to your local Ace Hardware and get a match, or close to it. Don't buy one, it'll happen again. Don't ask how I know that.
    You read my mind. I was going to order one, but I figured i would give Ace a try first after work.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the above. But, if it is a screw, be careful and take a look when you pull into and out of the garage. The last place that you want to find it is in your tire. I have had that to happen. I loose a screw in a dark place, it falls out after moving the bike/spyder a couple of times, and then the tire picks it up when I pull back into the garage.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

that is good advice my Spyder/tires only have 400 miles on them.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

When working on the Spyder or any vehicle for that matter a large WHITE towel is your best friend. I have saved many suicidal fasteners by putting my well used towel under/over/or around any black holes on my vehicles.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

+1 what Navydad wrote. In addition, I have my Spyder parked in the garage on an old area rug. Dropped fasteners don't bounce and roll off into oblivion and it's easier on the knees than bare concrete.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Area Rug/Carpet

....+2 and the area Rug. As others have said.

Good Luck on your Mission....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I was installing Spyderpop RGB engine light today and found the missing screw up in the frame. I was laying on the ground running the wires underneath the frame,I looked up and there it was..
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

You found you Jesus screw!!!