Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Page 6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Page 6
    I think there's a lot of cabin fever going around!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

but mine is do to knee surgery recovery. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    but mine is do to knee surgery recovery. cueman
    Oh no, just went threw that last summer, about to get the other one done in April!!!! Good Luck, heal quick summers coming!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you my friend, this is my third knee surgery and I’ve still only got two knees! cueman

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So I simply ask - how can HD LEGALLY sell their TRIKES which are sold as Motorcycles with factory mounted CAR TIRES on them ????? ....Mike [/SIZE]
    I see nothing in the Federal regs that states a manufacturer cannot use a car wheel on a motorcycle if the motorcycle maker deems it to be suitable. So if it does, then any tire that a tire maker says can be mounted on that specific rim can be used on the motorcycle. I have no easy way to verify it, but I'm sure even though HD wheels are designed specifically for HD trikes, i.e., the bolt hole pattern and offset are not the same as most car wheels, the tire mounting cross section profile is identical to a standard Tire & Rim Association profile for car tires. So when Dunlop, Goodyear, or whoever says a P205/R15 is designed and approved to fit on XX rim profile, and the HD wheel matches the XX rim profile, there is nothing to keep HD from mounting that car tire on their rim.

In short, since HD wheel has XX profile, and ZZ tire is approved by its maker to fit on XX profile rim, HD can mount ZZ tire on its XX profile wheel.

Now, why didn't BRP choose to use car tires on the Spyder when it was developed? Good question for which we'll never get an answer. But I'm going to speculate that when Bosch was developing the VSS software, or Nanny, the engineers determined that the tires needed to have some certain handling characteristics that most car tires did not provide so they said the Spyder needs a tire with special characteristics. BRP probably then decided to use a wheel size that was not being used for cars to ensure that only tires meeting the Bosch requirements would be used on the Spyders. Again, this is my speculation. We can be sure BRP will never tell us the real story. Keep in mind that what Bosch knew about how the Spyder would handle is quite a bit different than what they understand today. Otherwise we wouldn't see the relaxation in Nanny controls that now exist. If Bosch and BRP knew back in 2005 what they know now, quite possibly they would choose to go with standard car tires.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I see nothing in the Federal regs that states a manufacturer cannot use a car wheel on a motorcycle if the motorcycle maker deems it to be suitable. So if it does, then any tire that a tire maker says can be mounted on that specific rim can be used on the motorcycle. I have no easy way to verify it, but I'm sure even though HD wheels are designed specifically for HD trikes, i.e., the bolt hole pattern and offset are not the same as most car wheels, the tire mounting cross section profile is identical to a standard Tire & Rim Association profile for car tires. So when Dunlop, Goodyear, or whoever says a P205/R15 is designed and approved to fit on XX rim profile, and the HD wheel matches the XX rim profile, there is nothing to keep HD from mounting that car tire on their rim.

In short, since HD wheel has XX profile, and ZZ tire is approved by its maker to fit on XX profile rim, HD can mount ZZ tire on its XX profile wheel.

Now, why didn't BRP choose to use car tires on the Spyder when it was developed? Good question for which we'll never get an answer. But I'm going to speculate that when Bosch was developing the VSS software, or Nanny, the engineers determined that the tires needed to have some certain handling characteristics that most car tires did not provide so they said the Spyder needs a tire with special characteristics. BRP probably then decided to use a wheel size that was not being used for cars to ensure that only tires meeting the Bosch requirements would be used on the Spyders. Again, this is my speculation. We can be sure BRP will never tell us the real story. Keep in mind that what Bosch knew about how the Spyder would handle is quite a bit different than what they understand today. Otherwise we wouldn't see the relaxation in Nanny controls that now exist. If Bosch and BRP knew back in 2005 what they know now, quite possibly they would choose to go with standard car tires.
    Thank you, thank you …. as far as your paragraph #3 goes … The Kenda tires have had four iterations since original design, imho there is no way all four could have been covered by the orig. Bosche VSS & traction control system ….. so the tires do not enter into the equation … not the physical composition, not the number of plies nor the tread pattern of the tires really matters.... Our cars and trks can pretty much use whatever you put on the Rim / Wheel …. and the same goes for the Spyder. …. I also agree there is quite a lot we will never be privy to from BRP. … The only difference between the HD wheels and Spyders is the hub / bolt pattern and back-space. They are both " J " type rims & MUST have tires with " J " type wheels..... BRP can ( & will ) spin this to suit themselves but the Truth matters...… thank you for the pleasant conversation ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Went to dealership today and took a couple pics of the new Kenda tires a 2020 RT

Sorry, those are the "original" Kendas, not the new Canines.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I'll add to the page count. 165/60R15 Vredestein fronts mounted/balanced. 18 PSI sound right ?

** Found a thread. Gonna start at 17# **

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I've the 165/60R15 Vredestein fronts mounted/balanced. Couldn't be happier even though I've only put about 75 miles on them. Also went up to 18 psi.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

On the subject of tires and wheels......
    I removed a front wheel for the first time and attempting to put it back on was a nightmare. Good thing my 10 yo great grandson was helping me and I had him spot the studs and holes alignment for me. This took a lot of muscle work and time, so I want to know, what's the trick to mounting the wheel?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    On the subject of tires and wheels......
    I removed a front wheel for the first time and attempting to put it back on was a nightmare. Good thing my 10 yo great grandson was helping me and I had him spot the studs and holes alignment for me. This took a lot of muscle work and time, so I want to know, what's the trick to mounting the wheel?
    Just like an old VW Bug with the large bolt pattern. You sit on the floor, make a Y with your feet (heels on the floor, toes pointed out), put the tire on your toes and adjust as needed until the holes line up. I did this many times with my Bug and it works with the spider too if it's up high enough. It's always handy to have another pair of hands and eyes to help out also.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Just like an old VW Bug with the large bolt pattern. You sit on the floor, make a Y with your feet (heels on the floor, toes pointed out), put the tire on your toes and adjust as needed until the holes line up. I did this many times with my Bug and it works with the spider too if it's up high enough. It's always handy to have another pair of hands and eyes to help out also.
    Thanks Steve, I'll give that a try.
    BTW, I removed the wheel to access the bleeder valve. Is there a way to get to that valve without taking the wheel off?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it just me or do others think the recent posts are way off topic?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Sorry to crash this party, I thought I'd catch the eyes of the guys here while on a tire and wheel subject.

Spyder Garage

Hey, anything to make a new record page count and it's all good.

To remove a wheel with a new Kenda Kanine tire mounted on it, all you need is a BRP Tool # 593840DDX444920187WTF(*XX#!!!. You also will need a small ferret (preferably a grey/white one), a stick of dynamite, and a box of pitted dates (any brand). I'll leave the details for later.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Hey, anything to make a new record page count and it's all good.

To remove a wheel with a new Kenda Kanine tire mounted on it, all you need is a BRP Tool # 593840DDX444920187WTF(*XX#!!!. You also will need a small ferret (preferably a grey/white one), a stick of dynamite, and a box of pitted dates (any brand). I'll leave the details for later.
    Thanks for that great advice. Should the ferret be male or female or does it not matter?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

…. but I didn't want to upset anyone so I kept my fingers OFF the keyboard ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    . Added note- Don't raise the bike too high to use your feet to assist with the wheel lift, especially if using Kenda Canine tires. As an aside, if you ever put any lubricant on the wheel studs (or any bolt for that matter) you must reduce the torque by the proper amount based on the lubricant used. So coupling Vredestein tires with Amsoil lubricant on the threads you may have to use negative torque to get the appropriate clamping force!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    . Added note- Don't raise the bike too high to use your feet to assist with the wheel lift, especially if using Kenda Canine tires. As an aside, if you ever put any lubricant on the wheel studs (or any bolt for that matter) you must reduce the torque by the proper amount based on the lubricant used. So coupling Vredestein tires with Amsoil lubricant on the threads you may have to use negative torque to get the appropriate clamping force!
    Just use helium instead of air for the pressure and let them float into place.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thinking of giving these a try. Will give Kenda one more try.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since I took a snow day on Thursday. I am going to tackle installing the new Kanine on my rear wheel. Will be removing the Arachnoid tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK. Got my snow day Kanine Tire mounted today. Now have to remove wheel from bike yet and reinstall.

Took a few pictures.

Kanine Tire

Kanine Tire.jpg
    Kanine Tire 1.jpg
    Kanine Tire 2.jpg

Old Vee Rubber Tire
    Old Tire Vee Rubber.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    OK. Got my snow day Kanine Tire mounted today. Now have to remove wheel from bike yet and reinstall.

Took a few pictures.

Old Vee Rubber Tire
    Old Tire Vee Rubber.jpg
    How did you mount the tire without first removing the wheel?
    2014 RTL Platinum