Spyder Garage

Default Did you consider a Piaggio MP3 before getting a Spyder?

I must admit I know very little about the Piaggio MP3, but just looking at it online made me think that it would be worth trying one out. As a 3 wheeler it looks like it offers stability similar to the Spyder, although the shorter separation of the two front wheels likely makes it not quite as stable. Its a lot lighter yet should still be able to handle highway speeds. And the cost is about half of what a new RT would be. I was wondering if anyone here looked at this unusual scooter before deciding to buy a Spyder, and what contributed to that decision.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

The only one who can answer that question is you. Go check one out and make a choice. I had one for a short time. A very short time. It was top heavy, handled like crap, and didn't do anything particularly well. I was much happier with my T-Max scooter. I'll take my Spyder RT over the MP3 any day.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Piaggio used to be mentioned a lot on this site. Not so much these days. Not as satisfying a ride as the Spyder offerings seemed to be the general consensus.

In this case, going to the search engine and typing in piaggio will give you a variety of what you are looking for. The first mention of Piaggio MP3 was January of 2021.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-25-2023 at 02:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just seeing online (only )thought it more a scooter(interesting), having seen Spyder at couple rallies definitely inspired more happy thoughts & motivation. & then course the demo unit discount came across, after injuries & other delays.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 01-25-2023 at 02:52 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If this is a deal-breaker for you, be aware that you CAN drop a Piaggio MP3. I watched it happen to my friend's MP3 when she tossed someone the keys to take it for a ride.

Also it doesn't have a reverse gear or reverse motor.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

I'd only seen them in videos not in person, but that short front foot print made me think they would not be something I'd like. I'm perfectly with my RT.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

The three wheel version of Rosemary's baby.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

There can be no comparison between these two vehicles. One is a scooter and the other is a trike motorcycle.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

i thought about it a lot but I didn't think they were available in the US when I was ready to buy. I am very happy with my Spyder and have never looked back.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No. No.

Spyder Garage

Piaggio Scooter... took one for a ride, didn't get around the block before I had a very strong suspicion it'd be a resounding NO, but had it for the day so put about 150 miles on it.... My first impressions were very much right!!

Recently took a Yamaha Niken GT for a ride tho, still haven't really made up my mind about that one... cos if I swapped I'd hafta miss out on a lot of things the Spyder excels at (but not those 'apparently purposefully designed' flaws in the Spyder's tires & engineering execution! ) So still thinking, but maybe there juuuust might possibly be a Niken GT addition to the fleet in my future, rather than a Spyder alternative?! Not a Piaggio tho!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone do a search for Piaggio dealers?

Spyder Garage

I had an MP3-500 a few bikes back. It is not like a trike.
    The MP3 is a tilting scooter. It leans like any 2-wheeler but can be locked upright when stopped (or going very slow. Think coming to stop). It handles exactly like any 2-wheeled machine but adds 50% more footprint up front. The 500 had no problem cruising at 90 mph all day. I did a 7 day trip to Tenn. and it was very solid in the mountain twisties. It amusing to watch people see you pull up the a stoplight without putting your feet down (takes practice to time the tilt-lock.)
    MP3-500 on Dragon 2011.jpg
    Doing the Tail of the Dragon.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 01-26-2023 at 10:56 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Anyone do a search for Piaggio dealers?
    Piaggio has horrible coverage in the USA. Only 1 dealer in NJ and most states have none. I used to go to New Haven, Ct for service due to poor rep of the NJ crew.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    If this is a deal-breaker for you, be aware that you CAN drop a Piaggio MP3. I watched it happen to my friend's MP3 when she tossed someone the keys to take it for a ride.

Also it doesn't have a reverse gear or reverse motor.
    The new ones have a reverse gear, cruise control, and rear facing radar to warn you of a vehicle rapidly approaching in adjacent lanes.

I am very happy with my 2021 RT, but there is a Piaggio dealer not too far from me and I might have tried the MP3 if I had even heard of this model when I decided to trade in my Goldwing. It does offer two distinct advantages over the Spyder. It leans, and while leaning is not the be all and end all of motorcycling, it is an enjoyable part of riding a two wheeler. And it is half the price. Right now I have my Spyder, and a Honda 149cc scooter for when I feel the need for a two wheel experience. But that scooter is not capable of highway riding, and I might well consider the MP3 as a replacement for the scooter if the stock market continues to recover.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    As a 3 wheeler it looks like it offers stability similar to the Spyder, although the shorter separation of the two front wheels likely makes it not quite as stable. Its a lot lighter yet should still be able to handle highway speeds. And the cost is about half of what a new RT would be. I was wondering if anyone here looked at this unusual scooter before deciding to buy a Spyder, and what contributed to that decision.
    I owned one for a couple of years. They are fun to ride but offer none of the stability of a Spyder. They are exactly the same as a motorcycle except when parking. The complexity, extra weight, and expense to maintain are just not worth it to me.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I must admit I know very little about the Piaggio MP3, but just looking at it online made me think that it would be worth trying one out. As a 3 wheeler it looks like it offers stability similar to the Spyder, although the shorter separation of the two front wheels likely makes it not quite as stable. Its a lot lighter yet should still be able to handle highway speeds. And the cost is about half of what a new RT would be. I was wondering if anyone here looked at this unusual scooter before deciding to buy a Spyder, and what contributed to that decision.
    IMHO, either get a 2-wheeler or a REAL honest-to-goodness trike.

This Piaggio seems to sit in the middle ........ which to me is a compromise. IOW, it doesn't do one particular thing really well.

Good luck !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No Never the Piaggio is more of a toy when compared to the CanAm Spyders ( that is all models)

Spyder Garage

Give it a good test ride; I think you'll like it. They offer a bit more stability than 2 wheelers. Rode with a group of scooter riders (mostly 400 and 650 Burgmans) for several years and one of our best riders rode the MP3. All of these "scooters" easily handle interstate speeds.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

They make an amazing and beautiful airplane. The trike is top heavy and is also not particularly reliable I have been told even short term. Truth be told there is not any thing on the market I have found better than any generation Spyder.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Yes. Then I rode one. ☹️
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black