Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I guess I am in an enviable position. Just put new "darkside" tires on the 14 in July. I should be good for another two to three years there.

Just got a new F3. Should be good for a couple years there.

By then, the testers will have tested and we will know plenty about the new Kenda Kanines. I am going to sit back and watch.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    So I want to take this as good news that will eliminate the hassle of getting a dealer to put on a car tire.

Questions I have, is Kenda known for making a decent tire of any type (if no it doesn't mean this one isn't good, just not a great indicator) and since it "looks" more car tire spec size does that meant dealers may be more forgiving about putting on a car tire that is rated for the rim than they are now?
    I know in the two wheeled world, you mention a Kenda, you get flogged. One friend of mine said, the only reason I would put a Kenda on my bike is maybe to move to the other side of the garage and take it back off and trash it.
    MrBill
    Las Cruces, NM
    Got Chile? Red or Green?
    2015 Spyder RT
    1980 Suzuki GS750ET, still scares me!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill5491 View Post
    I know in the two wheeled world, you mention a Kenda, you get flogged. One friend of mine said, the only reason I would put a Kenda on my bike is maybe to move to the other side of the garage and take it back off and trash it.
    Kenda does have a definite reputation.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Well I bought the Kanine rear tire since I was due to change mine out anyway. Just got it delivered today.
    Cool! Now you and I can both be the "dummies that bought that crappy new Kenda tire"....or we could be the "early adopters that finally found a nice Kenda replacement". Time will tell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Cool! Now you and I can both be the "dummies that bought that crappy new Kenda tire"....or we could be the "early adopters that finally found a nice Kenda replacement". Time will tell
    Dummies??? Heck no. We call them "beta testers."

I beta tested three different new entries for the Spyder line up. No problems here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gonna be good hearing about these new Kenda's. I read a lot here about they need huge improvement. mMaybe they are getteing the msg, if so, seems the price is right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Dummies??? Heck no. We call them "Un-paid beta testers."

I beta tested three different new entries for the Spyder line up. No problems here.
    Fixed it for you AR! You missed one very important word! (Well, compound word, anyway. )
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Call us Dummies or UN-Paid Beta testers. I am good with it either way. The tire sure does look good. Guess this riding year we will know for sure. For some reason it looks bigger but its probably me.

It does say for Special Motorcycle use only on the sidewall. Guess its a disclaimer not to install it on a automobile.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Call us Dummies or UN-Paid Beta testers. I am good with it either way. The tire sure does look good. Guess this riding year we will know for sure. For some reason it looks bigger but its probably me.

It does say for Special Motorcycle use only on the sidewall. Guess its a disclaimer not to install it on a automobile.
    You are correct DO NOT USE ON ANY AUTO - period ….. To me their dis-claimer is dis-maying ….. it leads me to think the new Kanine isn't going to be much , if any better than the old Crapenda's …. I hope this isn't the case …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have been following this thread with interest because I was a victim of poor Kenda tires. I am skeptical. If Kenda had confidence in the "new" tire, why then, is it not good enough for automobile use? After all, the Spyders wheels are configured the same as automobile wheels. Looks to me like a case of "rebranding" SOS to try to overcome a poor reputation. Maybe they have improved some. But why not just go with a stronger, better quality tire and not worry about it. Especially when better tires can be had for less money..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing that Kenda is being forced to upgrade the tire and mark is as "Motorcycle Use" in order to capture more of the secondary market as best they can.
    Look how many of us have -----EAGERLY----------gone to other brand tires as absolutely soon as possible.
    And don't forget the Slingshot crowd.
    Still, a competing tire, even if it's Kenda can only be a good thing.
    We still have the other alternatives.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

In an earlier thread I got "corrected" by a legal beagle grammar police about using the term "Test Pilot" in reference to tires. Even with all the education, this person couldn't make the connection between determining the envelope at your own peril and accepting what has been (marginally) engineered. As with any new item installed on our Spyders that affects drive-ability, approach the extremes with great caution and expect the unexpected.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I look at it this way , we have been testing all the car and motorcycle tires on the Spyder for a while now , that have been mentioned for some time now.

So its either this tire will be great, marginal , bad .

I just wanted to try something new that had the size tire that was designed for the Spyder.

Kenda has released the Kanine KR20, the first and only aftermarket replacement tire designed specifically for the Can-Am Spyder. The high-performance pattern of the Kenda Kanine reduces the rolling resistance while maintaining maximum lateral traction, and is engineered with increased siping to evacuate standing water for excellent wet weather performance. The result is a Can-Am Spyder tire that provides higher mileage than stock while offering better handling than passenger car replacements. The Kanine KR20 is mc-spec, DOT, and E-Mark approved.

So for now I will have to wait till Spring , it will give me time to have it removed and reinstalled .

Flame on!

Spyder Garage

I look at it this way , we have been testing all the car and motorcycle tires on the Spyder for a while now , that have been mentioned for some time now.

So its either this tire will be great, marginal , bad .

I just wanted to try something new that had the size tire that was designed for the Spyder.

Kenda has released the Kanine KR20, the first and only aftermarket replacement tire designed specifically for the Can-Am Spyder. The high-performance pattern of the Kenda Kanine reduces the rolling resistance while maintaining maximum lateral traction, and is engineered with increased siping to evacuate standing water for excellent wet weather performance. The result is a Can-Am Spyder tire that provides higher mileage than stock while offering better handling than passenger car replacements. The Kanine KR20 is mc-spec, DOT, and E-Mark approved.

So for now I will have to wait till Spring , it will give me time to have it removed and reinstalled .

Flame on!
    I only bought it to see if we could get another 5-page long tire thread.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOL, that should not be too difficult, wonder if they will be on the 2020RTL, bet not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    LOL, that should not be too difficult, wonder if they will be on the 2020RTL, bet not.
    They are not on the 2020 RT. Same ole Kenda that have been used since 2013

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'm guessing that Kenda is being forced to upgrade the tire and mark is as "Motorcycle Use" in order to capture more of the secondary market as best they can.
    I've said before, I'll say it again. It's to comply with Federal tire regulations. I'm guessing that for some reason they believe designing the tire for the weight of the Spyder has advantages over one designed for the weight of small cars.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I only bought it to see if we could get another 5-page long tire thread.

Spyder Garage

I would think Kenda will discontinue making the old tire. Then when BRP's old tire stock runs out the new tire will be on at the factory. Can only hope.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I am skeptical. I believe that generally you get what you pay for. Stock Kenda costs $174. These new better Kenda Kanine tires are $100. They claim more mileage and more traction. How is this possible when the tires are so much cheaper? I could understand from a different manufacturer but the same manufacturer and 60% cheaper...I am going to wait and see before installing them....I hope they are as good as I have read...love to pay less for better.

Spyder Garage

Kenda is also the stock tire for the Polaris Slingshot. A quick reading of some Slingshot boards shows they're not especially happy with Kenda either. Maybe that's partly why Kenda is upgrading its product -- trying to keep what market they've got.

And oddly enough, I just noticed that Tirerack.com will sell aftermarket tires for the Slingshot. But not the Spyder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMindi View Post
    I am skeptical. I believe that generally you get what you pay for. Stock Kenda costs $174. These new better Kenda Kanine tires are $100. They claim more mileage and more traction. How is this possible when the tires are so much cheaper?
    Maybe they were way overpriced in the first place compared to similar products. Could have been a cost penalty BRP had to pay for development (which couldn't have been much) and to get a guarantee for continued supply for a low volume product. Keep in mind there were no market guarantees when the Spyder was introduced in 2007.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Maybe they were way overpriced in the first place compared to similar products.
    I had a chat with my dealership's manager about his tire policy. When I pointed out that a General Altimax cost only $80 compared to $180 for a rear Kenda, and lasts longer, he said that the price per tire and estimated tread life for Kendas was not out of line with premium tires for regular bikes.

So, in his mind, they were priced about right for the overall motorcycle market. That they are overpriced and short-lived as compared to regular car tires just doesn't register.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Kenda is also the stock tire for the Polaris Slingshot. A quick reading of some Slingshot boards shows they're not especially happy with Kenda either. Maybe that's partly why Kenda is upgrading its product -- trying to keep what market they've got.

And oddly enough, I just noticed that Tirerack.com will sell aftermarket tires for the Slingshot. But not the Spyder.
    In this world of Litigation, when someone tells a seller that they intend to use the sellers product in a non-approved manner, why are people upset when that seller balks. If they were the seller they would do exactly the same thing. …. Discount Tire has done the same thing with the Kumho Ecsta tire.....As far as Tire Rack goes … they will find out that the Slingshot is a listed as a Motorcycle and then won't sell to those people either, even tho the Slingshot wheels are " J " rims and REQUIRE a " J " bead tire.... If you think most of these salespeople are Tire Genus's - they are not. ….rant over ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I've said before, I'll say it again. It's to comply with Federal tire regulations. I'm guessing that for some reason they believe designing the tire for the weight of the Spyder has advantages over one designed for the weight of small cars.
    And they would be EXACTLY Right! If Kenda would only build a Quality Tire! Here we have a Great idea! Suffering from Terrible Execution!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMindi View Post
    I am skeptical. I believe that generally you get what you pay for. Stock Kenda costs $174. These new better Kenda Kanine tires are $100. They claim more mileage and more traction. How is this possible when the tires are so much cheaper? I could understand from a different manufacturer but the same manufacturer and 60% cheaper...I am going to wait and see before installing them....I hope they are as good as I have read...love to pay less for better.
    I used to get these same comments about the Custom Ignition Wire and Spark Plug set I have for the 998 V-Twin Rotax Spyder. They are less expensive than the OEM wire set and people would want to know how a cheaper product could be better than the more expensive manufacture's, as I claimed they were. I always told them the same thing. 'I can double the price if it will make you feel better!'. Sometimes price is based upon actual cost to deliver the product to the customer. Sometimes price has little to do with quality and much to do with what the seller can wring out of the customer. When you have a very limited supply product (like an only source tire), you can charge much more than the item would otherwise be worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I had a chat with my dealership's manager about his tire policy. When I pointed out that a General Altimax cost only $80 compared to $180 for a rear Kenda, and lasts longer, he said that the price per tire and estimated tread life for Kendas was not out of line with premium tires for regular bikes.

So, in his mind, they were priced about right for the overall motorcycle market. That they are overpriced and short-lived as compared to regular car tires just doesn't register.
    Believe me. That dealership manager is not getting paid to have your irrefutable logic register.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-27-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...