Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Size for towing ryker

I am hoping I can purchase a ryker rally soon. I have found one that is about 3.5 hours away being sold by a private seller. Its currently quite cold here in ohio so riding it back is not ideal. A buddy offered me use of his 5x8 flat open trailer. (60”x96”) and the dimensions of the ryker are 92.6″ L x 59.41″ W x 41.81″ H So in theory it would work but just barely.

Anyone ever use a 5x8 trailer to tow a ryker? Or should I just rent a bigger one to be safe?

Spyder Garage

I have trailered a Honda Rancher on my Harbor Freight trailer (4X8 deck?) with room to spare on each side so I'm pretty sure a 5X8 trailer would have the room for you.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I am hoping I can purchase a ryker rally soon. I have found one that is about 3.5 hours away being sold by a private seller. Its currently quite cold here in ohio so riding it back is not ideal. A buddy offered me use of his 5x8 flat open trailer. (60”x96”) and the dimensions of the ryker are 92.6″ L x 59.41″ W x 41.81″ H So in theory it would work but just barely.

Anyone ever use a 5x8 trailer to tow a ryker? Or should I just rent a bigger one to be safe?
    You said open - how tall are the side rails ???? … Is the 5ft. wide measurement the INSIDE, this is critical …. most enclosed trailers lose 8 to 12 inches because they don't account for the RAMP ….if the rails arn't two tall, you could use 2 ft. pieces of 2 x 6 ( two or three each side ) to get the edges of the fenders above the side rails

Spyder Garage

Can also try backing it on. That way you only have to watch the sides for a short distance instead of the entire length of the trailer. Then put a blanket or something between the fenders and the side rails.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

I suppose sometimes the most obvious answer is the best answer... I should just measure the trailer. I just wanted to see what others have done.

Spyder Garage

Don't make sesame mistake I did. I went to pick up my Ryker on 5x8 utility trailer with the ramp and my Ryker didn't fit. I couldn't even back it up. Opening between the rails were 2" to small. I even try taking the fender off didn't work. Went to local Uhaul try to rent their 6 x 10 trailer that didn't work either. Ramp opening on Uhaul trailer was 5' so Ryker didn't fit. Only way 5x8 will work if it is flatbed style without any side rails. Good luck

Spyder Garage

I would really try to borrow/rent/buy one that's 6x10.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback12 View Post
    Only way 5x8 will work if it is flatbed style without any side rails. Good luck
    I agree with the above statement. If you have side rails on a 5'x8' trailer, there will be no wiggle room and could possibly cause damage. If it is a flat trailer, then you can do it, just be careful.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Update to the thread:

Yes 5x8 with side rails wont work. Uhaul has a 6x12 trailer with a ramp but that wont work either. The opening at the top of the ramp is actually only 58” even if the trailer is 6” wide that opening is too narrow. Uhaul does have 6x12 utility trailer but it doesnt have a ramp so I would either have to borrow or buy ramps as I am just not going to use plywood.

I did put a feeler out to my local ryker/spyder facebook group and someone responded that Tractor supply has a 6x10 trailer with a ramp they rent and they used it to get their ryker and it worked just fine.