Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RTL Tri-Axis handlebar install question

I'm in the middle of installing Tri-Axis handlebars. Following Finless Bob's videos - tremendous help and more clear than the BRP instructions. Got to the last step of removal and I'm stuck. The center bar aluminum casting has the GPS wire harness running through a hole in the middle but the mount will not fit through the hole and the harness is hardwired to it. Traced the harness down the right side of bike looking for a connector to disconnect and pull through the casting hole. The harness disappears toward the rear without a way to disconnect. Anyone figured out this issue on their's? BTW, Finless Bob's video doesn't address this as he didn't have the GPS.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster48 View Post
    I'm in the middle of installing Tri-Axis handlebars. Following Finless Bob's videos - tremendous help and more clear than the BRP instructions. Got to the last step of removal and I'm stuck. The center bar aluminum casting has the GPS wire harness running through a hole in the middle but the mount will not fit through the hole and the harness is hardwired to it. Traced the harness down the right side of bike looking for a connector to disconnect and pull through the casting hole. The harness disappears toward the rear without a way to disconnect. Anyone figured out this issue on their's? BTW, Finless Bob's video doesn't address this as he didn't have the GPS.

Thanks
    Mr. Rickster48,

I had Tri-Axis bars installed at the dealer, but I installed my harness and mount for the Garmin 595. I'm not too sure about what you're asking as you said you're in the removal phase. A couple of possibly helpful hints about my installation. The harness runs down through the steering head of the Ti-Axis and pops out on the right side. I had to remove the right headlight bucket to get it routed. It then runs down the right side of the Spyder to the rear of the gas tank (On my 2018 RTL) where it plugs into the switched power hookup. I had to remove all the side plastic to access this. The one really bad thing is the OEM Garmin harness (at least for the 595) has an enormous splitter right in the middle. It is where the wires all separate out for distribution. It will just barely fit through the passage in the steering head, and you need to pull the wires through one at a time to get them through. But they do fit.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It should disconnect behind the gas tank. Well that's were mine was on the 14 model year. You may have to release the pins from the connector to get thru the handlebar area. Be careful those harnesses damage easy.

Spyder Garage

It connects on the right side of the fuel tank toward the rear.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been under the weather the last 4 days and finally got back out to the workshop yesterday. Pulled the right side panel off the bike and traced the GPS harness back to the connector at the rear of the fuel tank, as you said. Not as bad as I was expecting. Thanks for the help!

Rick