Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Question Installing Baja Ron Sway Bar

I am slowly getting used to my new 2019 F3L, but I still find it squirrely. I don't know if I will ever get comfortable with those off camber turns. They really tighten me up and there sure seem to be a lot more of them than I remember on my motorcycle rides. Anyway, from the comments on this forum, the new sway bar should help.

I have the sway bar, but am not sure of my ability to get it installed. The dealer has quoted me 3 hours of labor (at $120/hour) to install it. That seems like 2-3 times what it should take for someone with experience and the proper tools. At that price, I would really like to install it myself. I have done quite a bit of wrenching in my day but age and arthritis have significantly reduced my strength and flexibility. I think I should be able to handle it, but am not completely certain. The instructions seem straightforward, but I know from experience that can be deceiving. I have found a video for replacing it on the RT, but have been unable to find any videos for the F3.

Lifting the front end makes me nervous. I have a floor jack and jack stands as well as a scissor jack from my car, but it is unclear where to place them on the axle. I don't want to bend or break anything. Is there anything especially tricky about this replacement that I should know about? How about anything that would be particularly difficult for someone with limited mobility?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:'...

Spyder Garage

I jacked mine on e side at a time, I used the A arm, and went up 6 inches, set, the jack stand, then I did the other side. I had chocks on the front and back edge of the rear tire to stop the rolling. I then jacked each side up to 12 inches and set the jack stands. Make sure the E brake is set too. Once you are up in the air, it goes fast, I think 3 hours is a gross over estimate in time on the job, I did mine with manual jacks, not a lift like at the dealer, in 1.5 hours. My very first job on the Can Am.

I have the older RSS, but the concepts are the same, remove the old links and bar, hand the new bar, and install the links, its VERY straightforward....I was sure to have my Harbor Frieght 3/8 inch torque wrench handy, I wanted to be sure being it was a front end that I did not OVER torque and cause damage, and I would not have to lift the trike again.

The longest part of the job was getting it in the air, thats why I was a little surprised at the 3 hour bid, a trained mech can do this in an hour EASILY using a lift and the power tools.

It's easy peasy, jump on in, and it made a HUGE difference in that Lean Yaw I felt in cornering. Mine is flat in the turns and much more stable in the twisty road conditions I live in since adding my Baja Ron Bar and End Links. I personally feel the PLASTIC end links Can Am uses are the issue.... have fun with it, and its a big ride improvement.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

I put my jacks under where the front shock meets the A arm, and left enough room to set my jack stand near there as close to the tire as possible. Lift 6 inches at a time is my recommendation. I am sure I caused the issue that caused my trike to slip by jacking it in the air 16 inches at a time. Do it in stages, its much safer, especially if you have light jack stands. And BE SURE TO CHOCK THE FRONT AND BACK SIDE OF THE REAR TIRE EVEN IF YOU SET THE BRAKE...Safety first.

Spyder Garage

And three hours...ouch, I did not allow that kind of bidding when I owned my shop.....I did my Dodge Darts Sway Bar in less time....thats punitive IMHO.

Spyder Garage

I have the smallest Craftsmen 2.5 ton Auto Floor Jack I bought for work on the dart. OHHH, this was dumb of me. Harbor Freight sells a pair of SOLID RUBBER Oil changing ramps that sell for 45 dollars. If you look in the back of any Rider Magazine, there will be a Harbor Freight ad with a 20 percent Coupon. If can save you 15 bucks off those ramps. They work PERFECTLY on the Can Am. I did not find out that they worked until I did my oil change, and they did an awesome job. I knew I was forgetting something. I good reliable and safe lifting method for 30 bucks if you have a Harbor Freight near by. They will ship as well.

Spyder Garage

Guess I'm kinda lucky, as the local shop quoted me $125 for install. I'm generally a DIY kind of guy, but thinking I'm going the shop route on this as I'll have them follow with a laser alignment for another $125. I'm also fortunate enough that I trust the local dealer

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you are new to spydering - so am I. I was all hot to get a swaybar for the same reasons you state, but the more time and miles I got under my belt, the more proficient I became. I'm at the 700 mile mark and only recently got in tune with riding my F3L. Now I am putting off the swaybar and car tires until I am really riding more aggressively, then I will know the difference. So give yourself time.
    I too thought the bike was squirelly, but after taking the advice of those on this forum, all is good and under control. Yeah, those left handers can be spooky alright, but after a while, you'll overcome that. The MAIN thing is to be very loose on the bars - loose arms and open hands. The power steering is very sensitive to any inputs.
    The F3 (according to many on this forum) is the sport car, while the RT is the Buick. Many F3 owners never install a sway bar and I may be one of them. My advice is to accumulate 1,000 miles at least, then decide to put it on. Maybe you'll cross paths with another F3 owner who will help to install it. If that time comes that I want one, I'm 83 and will do it myself. I do not trust others with tools and my stuff.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The F3 is the easiest sway bar install of any model since the 2013's came out. A shop that knows what they are doing can get one of these bar kits swapped out in about 30 minutes. What that dealership was telling you is one of 2 things. 1- They had no idea what they were doing. or 2- That they didn't want to do the work. But if they did. They were going to make a killing on it.

Lifting the front is the most difficult part of the process. It only needs to be that high for the actual old bar out, new bar in process. Probably 5 minutes. Everything else that needs to be done before and after this bar swap step can be done at a much lower height.

I am not saying you should or should not do the work yourself. You know your abilities. I am saying that if you take your time and work safely. You will probably find the job easier than you imagine. Most people do this install in 1.5 hours or less. If you have any questions you can always get me at fyredad@hotmail.com, or call me at 423-552-3720. We both want this to go as smoothly as possible!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-19-2020 at 09:38 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

To the OP, I know you're in CA but where is the stealership hiding the gun?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am thinking about doing mine this spring. In order to get it in the air, I am looking at pulling it up on some ramps that will be resting on the rear of my truck (the rear will be lowered in order to keep the angle down). Then I will tie it off, set the brakes, block the tires, and go to work. This seems to be the quickest and easiest way to get access without jacking the bike up.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

We install these for 1/2 hour labor. Its just not a difficult job on a lift with the right tools.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My plastic end links were bent and distorted when I removed them, I truly feel they would have failed over time. To me just knowing the plastic is not on that set up is VERY comforting, I think thats a horrible design flaw.

And after reviewing my methods, it did not need to come up as high as I had it. I was doing the bar and links, the oil, all my performance mods, the exhaust, checking the drive belt, etc....so my RS-S was in the air on stands for most of the months of November and December waiting for parts. But to do the bar, 6 or so inches would have sufficed.

Spyder Garage

At JCTHORNE, I think when my shop was up, I might have quoted the hour, and billed for a half hour, it really was straight forward after I lifted it, what 8 bolts?

I would come to your shop by the way, you seem to have fair estimates. Its getting hard to find these days. I love working on my stuff, but there are things I will have done for sure, I am getting older.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    My plastic end links were bent and distorted when I removed them, I truly feel they would have failed over time. To me just knowing the plastic is not on that set up is VERY comforting, I think thats a horrible design flaw.

And after reviewing my methods, it did not need to come up as high as I had it. I was doing the bar and links, the oil, all my performance mods, the exhaust, checking the drive belt, etc....so my RS-S was in the air on stands for most of the months of November and December waiting for parts. But to do the bar, 6 or so inches would have sufficed.
    Wow, that sounds great. So, from this, it sounds like you could pull the bike up on a set of car ramps and get the job done. Looks like I have another project for when it warms a little.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

@ troop, 125 for the job, and 125 for the alignement, I would do that for sure, I need to get mine alignment done, I think I am good, but want to be sure....I thought my Dodge Dart was aligned until I had the tires done, boy was I wrong.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    I am slowly getting used to my new 2019 F3L, but I still find it squirrely. I don't know if I will ever get comfortable with those off camber turns. They really tighten me up and there sure seem to be a lot more of them than I remember on my motorcycle rides. Anyway, from the comments on this forum, the new sway bar should help.

I have the sway bar, but am not sure of my ability to get it installed. The dealer has quoted me 3 hours of labor (at $120/hour) to install it. That seems like 2-3 times what it should take for someone with experience and the proper tools. At that price, I would really like to install it myself. I have done quite a bit of wrenching in my day but age and arthritis have significantly reduced my strength and flexibility. I think I should be able to handle it, but am not completely certain. The instructions seem straightforward, but I know from experience that can be deceiving. I have found a video for replacing it on the RT, but have been unable to find any videos for the F3.

Lifting the front end makes me nervous. I have a floor jack and jack stands as well as a scissor jack from my car, but it is unclear where to place them on the axle. I don't want to bend or break anything. Is there anything especially tricky about this replacement that I should know about? How about anything that would be particularly difficult for someone with limited mobility?

Thanks for any help.
    Where are you located in CA? If you are willing to ride to me, I will install it for you. If you want to do it yourself & safely, dig a little trench and roll the bike over it. It’s a lot easier and safer vs lifting it 2 feet in the air.
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

When I had my 2015 RTS, I changed out the swaybar, I had to lift the Spyder pretty high in order to get the old swaybar out and get the new bar in. So just getting your Spyder rolled up on some car ramps is not high enough. Maybe I'm wrong about the F3 but I think you also have to get the F3 pretty high to get the swaybar out and the new one in. I have not done the swaybar mod to my F3 Limited so I'm not sure. But I'm thinking I had my RTS about 18 inches to 2 feet high when I replaced the swaybar. Maybe others who have done the swap on the F3 will chime in.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

TO THOSE WHO HAVE HAD AN RT AND A F3.......
    I am a member of a large Spyder club and I'm getting confusing information from others. Some say they when they had their RT, the handling improved a lot when adding a sway bar. But they felt their F3 comes with a stronger sway bar and doesn't need that improvement, just changing to metal links from the OEM plastic ones helps.
    What say you??
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

However, I am impressed with BajaRon's Stuff, I even did the wire kit, and I noticed the difference there too. Not knocking his bar at all.....

Spyder Garage

Plus he shipped fast, and has great service....always a plus in my book. If he had more for my trike, I would buy it.

Spyder Garage

@blacklightning and Ex-Rocket, I just checked my set up, and I have the trike on my HF ramps for the LaMonster Hwy Bars and I am going to wrap it later. Hell its snowed again, so more project time I guess. Anyway, I checked and I have plenty of room to do the bar change if needed (I already did it), BUT...I have an RSS, not the F3....I have about 16 inches of clearance on the bottom though and can move around pretty freely on my ramps.

At RICZ, honestly, I have to wonder if the Bar End change would have fixed the issues. The stock bar looks just fine, no chips or stress spots in the powder coating and its straight and true, I suppose I could magna-flux it quick to check for stress cracks, but I intend to sell the stock sway bar, not the links though, I already tossed those. I think if you did the end links only, you are likely fixing the issue, you can always pick up the bar later if needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    At RICZ, honestly, I have to wonder if the Bar End change would have fixed the issues. The stock bar looks just fine, no chips or stress spots in the powder coating and its straight and true, I suppose I could magna-flux it quick to check for stress cracks, but I intend to sell the stock sway bar, not the links though, I already tossed those. I think if you did the end links only, you are likely fixing the issue, you can always pick up the bar later if needed.
    I don't think you understood my question. Here's what I need to know.....
    + Is the OEM F3 swaybar beefier (stronger, heavier) than the OEM RT swaybar?
    + If it is, will replacing the OEM plastic links with metal links (keeping the OEM swaybar) offer a noticeable improvement in the handling?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    + If it is, will replacing the OEM plastic links with metal links (keeping the OEM swaybar) offer a noticeable improvement in the handling?

f I remember correctly when the F3 first came out there was some people looking for take off RT bars to put on their F3's because they were a heavier construction. Once BajaRon came out with his bar that quieted down. I think I am remembering right.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    f I remember correctly when the F3 first came out there was some people looking for take off RT bars to put on their F3's because they were a heavier construction. Once BajaRon came out with his bar that quieted down. I think I am remembering right.
    Oh your not as old as you think you are because I remember the same thing. People with the RT's were buying BajaRon's swaybar and then people with F3's were installing the stock RT swaybars

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    All very good questions. Here is a general idea of what you can expect. There are variables like weight loading and riding style. The heavier you are loaded and or the more spirited you ride, the more you will appreciate an upgraded sway bar. But you don't have to ride like a wild person or be loaded to the gills to love the bar either.

The plastic links will stretch on one side and compress on the other while turning. The greater the lean, the more of this effect you will get. This action absorbs some of the energy transfer that the sway bar is trying to accomplish. I do not know of another vehicle on the planet that uses a non-rigid sway bar link. Though to BRP's credit. In most cases, on a stock sway bar, these plastic links do seem to hold up well enough. Replacing these links with a rigid part allows the sway bar to operate at peak efficiency and most notice an improvement in handling. But the main reason I require that my link set be installed with every bar kit is that my bars tend to break the OEM BRP links. So my links not only make the bar more efficient, they make it safe. And we can all get behind that.

One interesting note about this is that the parts list for the new 2020 RT shows that BRP is still using the same plastic link set as every other Spyder ever made.

The RT is a heavier vehicle than the F3. Sits higher, has more storage/weight capacity, and commonly has a passenger and maybe even a trailer in tow. All of which makes it want to lean and dive more than the f3. So, the need is greater and it rightly comes with a heavier sway bar than the F3. Putting the stock RT bar on an F3 will give you a fair amount of improvement. However, my F3 sway bar is significantly stronger than the OEM RT bar. Many F3 riders have gone from the stock RT bar (with or without rigid links) to my F3 bar kit. In every case that has been reported back to me (and I do get a great deal of feedback). Owners have been impressed with the improvement over the stock RT bar.

Though I have never heard it put quite this way. The appraisal by Peter Aawen is accurate.

The fact is, the newer Spyders handle pretty well right out of the box. Many tell me that they are happy with the way their F3 or RT handles. And how they see no need to install an upgraded sway bar. When people tell me this, I always ask them; 'Have you ridden an F3 or RT with my sway bar kit installed?'. In every case, they tell me, 'No.'

It is not uncommon for a potential customer to call saying that they don't think they need my bar kit. But that they've read or heard so much about it. Or that their friends are telling them that they need it, that they are going to finally jump in and get one. Some say; 'Against my better judgement.' I always tell these customers the same thing. 'If you don't want to do this, don't! It's your ride. Don't let others tell you how to do your thing.' But they almost always buy the bar kit anyway. And it's like clockwork! I get a call or and email or see a post here where they say something like; 'I wish I'd done this a long time ago. Didn't know what I was missing.'

I understand that all of this sounds self serving. That's why I don't always jump in on these conversations. Those who have installed my bar kit are honest and accurate about the statements they make so I don't feel the need. To me, it's just a great deal of fun to have stumbled upon something that makes so many people so happy. I don't have to hype or push. Just lay out the facts and let the customer decide. To me, that's just the way it should be.

I enjoy riding. And I love my Spyder. I know most of you feel the same way or you wouldn't be here. That's what it is all about.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-23-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...