Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster "catch can" revisited . . . . .

I noticed oil seeping from around the joint between the upper and lower airbox halves, and this was right at the 2K mile mark on my SM-5. It was time to add the Lamonster airbox modification, which because of the photos, was an easy fix. Even though there was probably not more than three or so ounces of oil in the airbox, it made quite a mess. I can see where, if not taken care of, it could drip down the sides of the airbox and onto the exhaust. Probably wouldn't start a fire, but I'm sure it would make some smoke!

I performed a similar modification on my Buell XB 12 when I installed the American Sportbike airbox. The catch can was made of billet aluminum, anodized black, and although mounted where it could be seen, blended in perfectly and looked like a factory installation. Sometimes when emptying it, there would be a watery oil. Glad I did this mod.
    Last edited by opticat; 07-25-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: SM not SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by opticat View Post
    I noticed oil seeping from around the joint between the upper and lower airbox halves, and this was right at the 2K mile mark on my SM-5. It was time to add the Lamonster airbox modification, which because of the photos, was an easy fix. Even though there was probably not more than three or so ounces of oil in the airbox, it made quite a mess. I can see where, if not taken care of, it could drip down the sides of the airbox and onto the exhaust. Probably wouldn't start a fire, but I'm sure it would make some smoke!

I performed a similar modification on my Buell XB 12 when I installed the American Sportbike airbox. The catch can was made of billet aluminum, anodized black, and although mounted where it could be seen, blended in perfectly and looked like a factory installation. Sometimes when emptying it, there would be a watery oil. Glad I did this mod.
    did same runs better and no oil in air filter thanks Lamonster was easy to do .....

Spyder Garage

Just checked mine last night, and this was after a 300 mile ride.
    Thanks for the tip Lamont.
    Attached Images Attached Images

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

I just did the same mod, but haven't had a chance to ryde yet due to the weather. It sure was a pain cleaning all that oil out of the air box! I went ahead and installed the Green filter while I had the tupperware off.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

I don't want to take credit for an old idea. This type of catch can has been used for years, I just applied it to the Spyder. Glad it's working for you all too.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to give you credit anyway because you were the one who provided the info to me!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamont you are the man, even it was used before on other bikes you were the first to find a way around the problem so in my book you deserve the credit. I do have one little problem, I seem to be getting some oil in the new filter as I checked it last night and when I first set it up the filter was white and now it is a shade of gray and I smell oil wonder what I did wrong as I used all the same parts you did.

Spyder Garage

I am going to buy the stuff tonight to do this considering I had to take the airbox out to do the spark plugs last night. Seemed like a good time to do it. I had a considerable amount of oil in my airbox.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have a problem, my breather filter is full with oil to the point it is dripping what have I done wrong help please and it seem that I have a lot more oil in mine with less miles than what I have seen some of you have posted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    Have a problem, my breather filter is full with oil to the point it is dripping what have I done wrong help please and it seem that I have a lot more oil in mine with less miles than what I have seen some of you have posted.
    How about a few pictures of your setup. Somebody may notice a problem by seeing how it's hooked up. Hard to tell what might be wrong by just hearing that the oil is saturating the filter.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

You need to use the real course open cell type of foam. I picked some up from a place that sells rubber hose and fittings. This stuff is supposed to be fuel proof. I cut some off and let it soak in oil for week or two and it looked fine. I've had it in for around 5000km now and checked it. Its still in the pipe and looks the same as the day I put it in there. Ball point pen gives an idea of scale.
    Andrew Gaze
    2008 Full Moon SM5 PE#979

I am one very happy owner

Spyder Garage

I'd like to do this just to be on the safe side but I'm about as technically talented as Tool Time Tim. If I buy the items needed, can someone help me install them at the Gatlinburg event?

If so, what do I need to get?
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    I'd like to do this just to be on the safe side but I'm about as technically talented as Tool Time Tim. If I buy the items needed, can someone help me install them at the Gatlinburg event?

If so, what do I need to get?
    I'll help you if no else helps you out first.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    How about a few pictures of your setup. Somebody may notice a problem by seeing how it's hooked up. Hard to tell what might be wrong by just hearing that the oil is saturating the filter.
    Found out my digital camera is not working so when I can get one to use I will post photos, in the mean time I removes it and clean it all out and replaced the filter with a new one and I went over Lamount instruction again and don't know where I went wrong. The only thing I can think of is maybe I have it backwards where the line from the engine is coming in should be on the other side.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    . The only thing I can think of is maybe I have it backwards where the line from the engine is coming in should be on the other side.
    The line coming in from the engine, goes to the side that dumps into the center of the catch bowl. Be sure to plug or seal off the hole in the air box where the line from the engine was. Hope this helps.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    The line coming in from the engine, goes to the side that dumps into the center of the catch bowl. Be sure to plug or seal off the hole in the air box where the line from the engine was. Hope this helps.
    That is how I have it, maybe I should try the other way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I'll help you if no else helps you out first.
    Thanks SG. I still need someone to tell me what I need? Or should I just get it there?
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post

Why does it make a difference which way you have the lines coming in and why not follow the arrow? I also notices after looking at a few photos posted of some other catch can that the pipe that I have in the middle of mine if much longer as compare to the one I see in the photos, I have since cut mine as well and also when I re did it I decided to follow the arrow before I posted my problem and now see that I should not. So far I have put only about 50 miles and there is very little oil in the can so I have no idea if it is fix or not, I sure do not want to spend $11.99 every few hundred miles to replace the filter because I can't get this right and it keeps getting soaked with oil.

Spyder Garage

hi ....nice mod im from sweden and i whant to do the same on my bike what is the mod you have put on is it
    Water precipitators or is it a oil separators that we have on air compressors? sorry my bad englich

Spyder Garage

Default Air Box oil catch

Here are some other alternatives. Plastic catch is easily emptied.

Spyder Garage

So does Lamonster sell a catch can kit with directions for dumies?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

hi planning to fit mine shortly see yours vents to atmosphere , any issues doing this ?? how did you seal air box??

cheers deon

pls email me .ddtoit@amplats.co.za

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddtoit View Post
    hi planning to fit mine shortly see yours vents to atmosphere , any issues doing this ?? how did you seal air box??

cheers deon

pls email me .ddtoit@amplats.co.za
    Though Lamont's 'Catch-Can' works well, it is more complicated and expensive than necessary to get the job done. I also requires maintenance.

Early on Lamont and I (and others) did a fair amount of experimentation in this area. A lot of different ideas and designed cropped up. Most of them worked. Some better than others.

If you check out this link (below) it depicts what I think is the best way to go. Simple, inexpensive and virtually maintenance free. Parts are readily available. I can send you a chunk of open cell foam if needed. I also like the fact that it returns the oil to the crank case instead of collecting it in a can to be drained away.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ight=catch-can

If you do a true catch can as in Lamont's example. You will need to put some kind of filtration (air filter) where it vents to the atmosphere to prevent contaminants entering the system.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-22-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thks im happy with info i will vent to atmosphere via crankcase filter and seal off airbox . Makes sense thks

Cheers

Spyder Garage

I don’t see one!
    2008 SM5 , Black/purple