Spyder Garage

Default What's the purpose of "SpyderLover Rider Map Discussions"?

I recently noticed a new category below the Off Topic near the bottom of the main page. It's called, "SpyderLover-Rider-Map-Discussions", but there is no explanation of it's purpose or how to make use of it. I can only guess that it is to make it easy to share your location with others or something similar. Can someone more knowledgeable of the site change bring me up to speed here?

I am a member of a Facebook page called North American Biker Rescue that has a "pinned" map showing locations of all who are ready and willing to provide help in emergency situations to get down or stranded bikers off the road and to safety. It is a great idea and service that is totally free to anyone requesting assistance in a bad situation. If this new category is intended to do that or just be a social networking thing, it would be nice to see some explanation.

thanks
    old & slow.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ap-Discussions
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2023 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I found this when I drilled down.

"The map system will add an info post for your pin in this forum."

Apparently if you do a post in there it will show a map with a pin and you can add your info.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I recently noticed a new category below the Off Topic near the bottom of the main page. It's called, "SpyderLover-Rider-Map-Discussions", but there is no explanation of it's purpose or how to make use of it. I can only guess that it is to make it easy to share your location with others or something similar. Can someone more knowledgeable of the site change bring me up to speed here?

I am a member of a Facebook page called North American Biker Rescue that has a "pinned" map showing locations of all who are ready and willing to provide help in emergency situations to get down or stranded bikers off the road and to safety. It is a great idea and service that is totally free to anyone requesting assistance in a bad situation. If this new category is intended to do that or just be a social networking thing, it would be nice to see some explanation.

thanks
    old & slow.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ap-Discussions
    Good Morning TX,

At the top of the main forum page, on the line where the " gallery" is, the map function is located. I started a new thread that has some of the info you asked about. If you put yourself on the map ----- I'll kknow where Fritch, Tx is.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Good Morning TX,

At the top of the main forum page, on the line where the " gallery" is, the map function is located. I started a new thread that has some of the info you asked about. If you put yourself on the map ----- I'll kknow where Fritch, Tx is.
    OK, I right clicked and it added a marker, but it is about 15 miles south of Fritch. Is there a way to correct that or is it now written in stone?

This whole location thing here could be made good use of like the NABR Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs/ ) in that people could add info on what rescue services they are willing to provide fellow Spyder Ryders in an emergency situation. Some of the things listed on the FB page are trailer available, distance willing to travel to help, tools available, lift, shop, short term storage; even housing or local motel info. It's a great resource where they have gotten what they call a "Chrome Alert" from someone needing assistance and provided free aid within an hour or two. Of course having 32,000 members helps them cover most of the US and a modest portion of other countries. They don't seem to have any problem with three wheel inclined folks being a part of their network if anyone wants to join or just check them out to see if we would want to attempt something similar here.

At the very least I can see where this could provide a like minded person to visit with when passing through various areas of the country.

I LIKE IT!

Spyder Garage

Glad you like it. If you had zoomed ( with the + / - symbols at the lower right ) you can get down to street level. As I said earlier------ I didn't really want to give out my exact address ( or even a few hundred ft.) on a map that anybody can see. The whole TMI thing ya know. Northern Texas----- that's cool.
    Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

so is there a way to correct it? I don't want it to show exact location but at least in the city.

Spyder Garage

so is there a way to correct it? I don't want it to show exact location but at least in the city.

I don't know BUT would like to know. Ask Anthony G

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did you try clicking on the remove marker or edit marker on your map?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

To address cruisinTX, I was able to zoom down to where I put my pin on the east side of my village, and its a small one...lol, rather than the side of town that I am on.

I did notice that when I pin is created, a new post is created too? Perhaps the person who set that up can correct that? The new posts are getting slammed with Map Pin Posts.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Did you try clicking on the remove marker or edit marker on your map?

I don't see those options anywhere, and didn't want to right click again and screw something up before someone with better knowledge can see this and have time to respond.

Spyder Garage

I don't see those options anywhere, and didn't want to right click again and screw something up before someone with better knowledge can see this and have time to respond.
    Let me see if I can move it to your Dairy Queen.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Sent you a PM. It did not go well. I'll add my info to see if I can figure it our.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Sent you a PM. It did not go well. I'll add my info to see if I can figure it our.
    hehehe, cyber gremlins I suppose. I just tried again and got a pin close enough (center of town)but it shows me as 2 not 1. OH WELL.

Spyder Garage

I didn't see any way to delete a erroneous pin so I just moved them to the middle of a local lake.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

As vbulletin 4 is a relic to say the least, there isnt much out there in terms of developed apps or apps that are updated for that matter.

This is about the only map program working that fits what was requested, it does have issues.

1. Its making multiple posts for a user when they submit a pin to the map, i cant reproduce that issue myself, if someone can elaborate on what they're doing to cause that, i may be able to fix it?

2. Editing a pin location, well there is an issue with that right now that needs to be resolved before i can enable it for all to use.

If you need a pin moved, give me a link & new coordinates in a PM & ill move it.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    As vbulletin 4 is a relic to say the least, there isnt much out there in terms of developed apps or apps that are updated for that matter.

This is about the only map program working that fits what was requested, it does have issues.

1. Its making multiple posts for a user when they submit a pin to the map, i cant reproduce that issue myself, if someone can elaborate on what they're doing to cause that, i may be able to fix it?

2. Editing a pin location, well there is an issue with that right now that needs to be resolved before i can enable it for all to use.

If you need a pin moved, give me a link & new coordinates in a PM & ill move it.
    I looked at mine again some time after reporting it was showing up as two of me. It now appears someone corrected it and has it in a location pretty close to where I attempted to drop it.

On to something I mentioned in another thread; that would be the thought of using this whole map location thing as a means of providing aid to fellow Spyder Ryders in emergency situations. The Facebook page North American Biker Rescue (NABR) has been doing just that for a few years now with great success. Folks list their location and what services or facilities they are willing to provide to help others in need after mechanical problems, accidents, stranded by unexpected weather conditions, etc. While the NABR page is open to all including three-wheelers, it might be easier to use here if we have our own map and network. One of the reasons for the success of NABR is the sheer number of members; now at over 30,000.

I think they use Zee maps, but I am far from being a computer/internet guru, so a visit over there by someone here with better skills might go a long way to understanding if it would be useful here.

Food for thought?

Spyder Garage

Link me to it so i can see what you're talking about?

Also, unless users are populating that info into the map or whatever is used, then it may not be something to add here.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Ok i found it.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=16...QSaShsHmUPoAdM

According to the group post, this is basically just a map of users like the one used here, its a list of all their users from the group, the user cant even edit the pin (like here for now).

I dont see a list of rescues either from the map or in the group?

Added Note: From the title, its really just saying if you put your pin on this map, you are willing to help a biker out.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Ok i found it.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=16...QSaShsHmUPoAdM

According to the group post, this is basically just a map of users like the one used here, its a list of all their users from the group, the user cant even edit the pin (like here for now).

I dont see a list of rescues either from the map or in the group?

Added Note: From the title, its really just saying if you put your pin on this map, you are willing to help a biker out.
    Correct, but clicking on the pin associated with a name will show you what services that member has and is willing to provide. There is not a lot of activity right now because it is winter and not a lot of riding going on. I follow the page pretty closely in the heavier riding seasons in the event I have time to help orchestrate a Chrome Alert. That's where anyone can take the reigns and start tagging people near a location where someone has announced a need for assistance (Chrome Alert). There have been many instances where help was provided within an hour or two; others where it proved very difficult to find someone at their computer or phone and it took longer. Like the opening of the page says; it about bikers helping bikers. It's all free and amazingly effective.

Spyder Garage

Yes, thats the case here, the info in the popup of a clicked pin can be used the same way they use it.

The majority of their pins show no info on them, its what the user ads to their pin when they make it or edit it after i get that issue resolved.

I'd gladly base ours off that same concept, its not an issue to rename the map & its purpose on the site.

You guys come up with some ideas & post the ideas up.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Even if we don't do it here, I would encourage everyone to at least visit and sign up on the NABR Facebook page. There is no cost and great potential for getting free assistance in a time when it may be needed most.

Spyder Garage

As i said, if users want to apply it here, then there is no issue with it.

If the SL user base wants to give some feedback on this, please do so.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

I realise it's been three years since I started this thread, so I visited the SpyderRyders map and there does not seem to be a very wide network there. That said, here is what I just shared on a motorcycle page I frequently visit in the hopes of adding to the nearly 51,000 members there. I am now a moderator for that Facebook page and have recently approved a couple of folks who indicated they ride Spyders.

I did a quick search to make sure I had not already put this in a thread of its own. I did find several threads where I mentioned the North American Biker rescue (NABR) Facebook page but had not put it in a separate thread. I am now a moderator on that page and would like to encourage everyone who has and uses Facebook regularly to join the group. It was set up by Jerry Lyver as a means of providing assistance to bikers who are stranded on the side of the road for what-ever reason in order to get them safely off the road and back to their travels whether it be a long ride or simply their daily commute. The main focus is the safety aspect, so someone is not stranded without help.

While the name of the page is North American Biker Rescue, it has grown to a world-wide effort with nearly 51,000 members ready and willing to help a fellow biker absolutely free of charge. We have seen downed bikes and bikers picked up and brought to safety in as little as an hour after their first request for help. This is made possible with the use of a member map that any member can access to locate other active members near the location of the one in need. They then begin tagging those members through the Facebook methods to ask if they can assist. This continues until at least one person indicates they are on the way to provide assistance. It's a very good system that has helped thousands of people get to safety and sometimes even all the way home or to a shop to help them further on their journey.

All that said, I'd like to see more Spyder Ryders who use Facebook to join. You will only have to answer three questions to sign up initially. Then once you are a member provide in a sticky thread your general location (but not your entire address for privacy) just city, state or province, and country and what services you are able to provide. There is not a membership fee, but it is a private group, and we try to actively weed out trolls and decline memberships for those who cannot seem to understand the first three questions.

So, if you are interested in joining one of the largest groups of bikers helping bikers, go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs
    to join North American Biker Rescue and then take it a step further to join the NABR Family Friendly Lounge https://www.facebook.com/groups/101979256856899 for general chit chat about almost anything you want to discuss save for politics or religion. We do keep a close eye on trolls and discussions that get too heated and deal with them quickly. The sister site was set up to keep the main page clear of clutter that might interfere with a rescue, and it works very well. There is an emphasis on Family Friendly. There is also another sister site for more adult conversations for those who feel the need to have that in their lives.

If you are not a fan or user of Facebook, that's fine but something that really does not need to be discussed here.

admin: If these links are not allowed, we can take them out and have those interested contact me via private message for them or they can simply type the page titles in the search box on Facebook.

Thanks
    cruisinTx

I'm submitting this all again in order for more people to take advantage of one of the largest and most successful groups of bikers helping bikers in the event they may need this free service at some point in the future.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2023 at 10:56 PM. Reason: removed colour for ease of reading by all... & exposed hidden URL's iaw Forum policy

Spyder Garage

I have been a member for several years. It would be nice to see more SL members on NABR.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze