Thread: Fuel Pump Whine

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Pump Whine

Haven't been on here in awhile... Any updates from BRP for fixing the fuel pump howling noise when temps are above approximately 80 degrees F? Thanks.
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My local dealer won’t admit there’s a problem, even though I have videos of my Rally making the noise. Said they can’t fix it if they can’t duplicate the problem. I bet they can find the issue when the warranty is up! I’m sick and tired of incompetence of some of these service departments. I’m also sick of waisting my time trying to find a competent shop. I’ll just probably just fix it myself. It’s a shame cause I really like my Ryker.

Spyder Garage

Fuel pump whine? Never heard of it. Is it a white or a red?
    Cueman, your thoughts about competence is justified. For over 40 years, I had a machine repair business and the work I saw done by others, even so-called factory trained techs was horrid. Worse, they charged much more than I did. Once I fixed a machine, no one else got to touch it but me, so I had a loyal following. I have learned that there a a lot of guys out who are dangerous with tools in their hands and that is why I do as much of my maintenance as I can.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTS SE6. I had the whine and it is very annoying. I finally got the dealer to replace the fuel pump after three trips and arguing. They claimed it was normal, but not all RTS had a whine. Finally replaced the fuel pump while under warranty and all has been quiet ever since.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    My local dealer won’t admit there’s a problem, even though I have videos of my Rally making the noise. Said they can’t fix it if they can’t duplicate the problem. I bet they can find the issue when the warranty is up! I’m sick and tired of incompetence of some of these service departments. I’m also sick of waisting my time trying to find a competent shop. I’ll just probably just fix it myself. It’s a shame cause I really like my Ryker.

Do a search...There was another person with Ryker fuel pump problems and he was able to replace it with an aftermarket pump for under $100.00...Came with a lifetime warranty...Easy fix...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here it is...

Well, Problem identified and solved. It was, in fact, a bad fuel pump. Can-Am only offers a full fuel pump assembly and that assembly is on back order. I disassembled my assembly and extracted the fuel pump and replaced it with the attached fuel pump and it fit perfectly and meets the specifications of the bike at 58 pounds per square inch. Life is once again good and I did not have to wait till November to get a back ordered fuel pump assembly from Can-Am. Fuel pump costs about $80.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version.

Name: 20190929_154334.jpg
    Views: 35
    Size: 45.3 KB
    ID: 176054

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...yker+fuel+pump

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Folks, all good information. To larryd, I read RykerUSA three times and it seems his situation was like running out of gas under higher speed acceleration and it was his tank fuel pump. Mine is more like spyderjuice’s whining noise, but his is a spyder and mine is Ryker Rally. I guess it could be both are fuel pump symptoms. Mine runs good, just makes that annoying whine. Maybe the whine is precursor to weak pump problem. cueman

Spyder Garage

finally there is a new service part for the whining fuel pump - did someone test it, if this really helps ??

https://www.carproblemzoo.com/tsb/ca...n-am-ryker.php
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats