Spyder Garage

Default New Gas Strut for the RT Saddle

My very small rainy day task today was replacing the "hold up the saddle" gas strut on my wife's 2012 RTL. As suggested by one of our forum members (terrible at remembering names) I ordered a McMaster-Carr Item 9416K17 gas spring, 15.63" extended length, 40lbs force, and two M6 snap-on ball socket end fittings.

Even with fumbling around and being distracted by several other shiny objects in the garage the entire task took roughly four minutes (after finding something to hold the saddle up while I poked around). The indication that the stock strut was waaaay past its prime was (and still is) that when held vertically the shaft slowly sunk into the piston all on its own. Now when the key is turned to the saddle release position the seat springs open and stays firmly in the raised position. Worth the cost in my humble opinion.

If I keep reading all the great fixes and improvements on this forum I'm likely to go broke! Oh wait, there are worse things, yes, no?
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I did this a couple of years ago on my 2012 RTL. It is so nice to release the seat catch and have the seat just pop up. Congrats on the Spyder Improvement project.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    My very small rainy day task today was replacing the "hold up the saddle" gas strut on my wife's 2012 RTL. As suggested by one of our forum members (terrible at remembering names) I ordered a McMaster-Carr Item 9416K17 gas spring, 15.63" extended length, 40lbs force, and two M6 snap-on ball socket end fittings.

Even with fumbling around and being distracted by several other shiny objects in the garage the entire task took roughly four minutes (after finding something to hold the saddle up while I poked around). The indication that the stock strut was waaaay past its prime was (and still is) that when held vertically the shaft slowly sunk into the piston all on its own. Now when the key is turned to the saddle release position the seat springs open and stays firmly in the raised position. Worth the cost in my humble opinion.

If I keep reading all the great fixes and improvements on this forum I'm likely to go broke! Oh wait, there are worse things, yes, no?
    ...your welcome …. I didn't have the part numbers, just said McMaster Carr had the struts needed to get the job done. For whatever weight you wanted ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

I used this off of Ebay; Back Glass Lift Support Sachs SG359011 fits 84-90 Ford Bronco II. About $18-20 to your door. Doesn't lift the seat by itself with a full sheepskin and driver backrest, but you have to push it down firmly to close it.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Is that McMaster/Carr part # the same for 2014- 2017 RT?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I used this off of Ebay; Back Glass Lift Support Sachs SG359011 fits 84-90 Ford Bronco II. About $18-20 to your door. Doesn't lift the seat by itself with a full sheepskin and driver backrest, but you have to push it down firmly to close it.
    I think that's the one I used. Won't lift, but will hold up, the seat with my large back seat luggage sitting on it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sachs SG359011

Sold also at rock auto for around $9.00

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Sachs SG359011

Sold also at rock auto for around $9.00
    Darn! Wish I'd a known that before buying. What was shipping from RockAuto? Probably less than $20 total, I bet.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Is that McMaster/Carr part # the same for 2014- 2017 RT?
    The 2012 and 2015 OEM struts appear the same. The first one I installed on our 2012 RTL and yesterday after finishing the installation I ordered one for my 2015 RT-S so I'll should be able to confirm or not when it arrives next week. My bet is they're the same.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Darn! Wish I'd a known that before buying. What was shipping from RockAuto? Probably less than $20 total, I bet.
    Something like 8:10 for the strut and cant remember the ship cost at the time.. Holds up my Ultimate seat very well !

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'm gonna order one. Does anyone know the part # for the rear box. Management HAD to buy a luggage rack at the 2019 Green Country Spyder Rally and if anything gets loaded on it an extra strut is gonna be necessary, I think.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black