Spyder Garage

Default Thoughts from Dual Model Owners: Ryker and.....

As I conduct research for my next ride I cant seem to shake the thought of accessorizing a Ryker Rally into a legit multi day tourer when needed. I envision the need for a trike for my weekend 2-3 hour rides in the Georgia mountains and quarterly regional multi day trips. Somewhere in all of that are the occasional rideS down FS roads. I like the versatility of the Ryker but don’t want to return to the feel of a Dualsport. I’m getting older and comfort is rising to the top of prime purchase considerations. Interested in opinions of folks who own the Ryker and another Spyder or have extensive experience with both platforms. Some questions:

Ryker Shaft Drive
    1. Reliability?
    2. Smoothness or Blacklash?
    3. How does it compare to your belt drive Spyder?

Ergos
    1. Average frame- 5’11“/32” inseam- will I be comfortable for 2-3 hr stretches?
    2. Those Can-am seats don’t look comfortable- any aftermarket options proven to be better?

CVT
    1. Are the revs at highway speeds extreme or annoying?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Good subject for discussion.

Since Ryker has only been out a year, reliability issues may still be up for discussion.

I have had several shaft drive motorcycles. None of those presented problems for me.

Seats: OEM seats from Can-Am have always been an issue for me. I have replaced six out of six on Spyders within the first 1000 miles. I am guessing Ryker is no different.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ryker Shaft Drive
    1. Reliability? So far after 4000 miles its been fine.
    2. Smoothness or Blacklash? Mine does clunk a bit on deacceleration but doesn't seem to be a big deal.
    3. How does it compare to your belt drive Spyder? For me the drive shaft is smoother (except occasional clunk). I do get belt vibration on my RS and I find it annoying as hell. I'd say the Ryker overall is a smoother machine than my RS

Ergos
    1. Average frame- 5’11“/32” inseam- will I be comfortable for 2-3 hr stretches? I'm 5-10, same inseam. I don't have a problem with comfort per say but...I wish the ryker seat has about 2" taller. The softness is fine...I just wish it sat up a little higher. So, much so I'm going to have a custom seat made to do this.
    2. Those Can-am seats don’t look comfortable- any aftermarket options proven to be better?. Stock seat seem fine to me. Just need to be higher. That said overall my RS rides A LOT better than my Rally. Smooth pavement is a non issue but when the pavement gets rough, cracked, potholes, etc the Ryker suspension isn't as nice as the RS.

CVT
    1. Are the revs at highway speeds extreme or annoying? For me no. For others yes. My RS rev's higher than the Ryker. Reving in the 5K-7K range doesn't bother me at all. In fact I like it.

Spyder Garage

You ask good questions but the only correct answers will come from you.

We have both a Spyder F3L and A Ryker. The Ryker is my wife's ride. I enjoy both but to address the smoothness I would say the F3 is hands down more smooth than a Ryker from the standpoint of ride and handlebar feedback. I have no opinion about the belt vs shaft as they are both good drive lines and do nothing objectionable. I do not notice driveline lash in either.

Your questions lead me to think you are looking for a touring bike or at least a sport tourer. The Ryker "ain't" it. Sure you can travel long distances on it. Sure you can rig it to carry your load but it is really more of a sport or bar hopper type of machine. It isn't the best tool for that job.

Go to a dealer and ride one to make your own decision.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Good subject for discussion.

Since Ryker has only been out a year, reliability issues may still be up for discussion.

I have had several shaft drive motorcycles. None of those presented problems for me.

Seats: OEM seats from Can-Am have always been an issue for me. I have replaced six out of six on Spyders within the first 1000 miles. I am guessing Ryker is no different.
    I agree with you- my last bike a Triumph Explorer with a shaft and I really like the performance and maintenance free aspect of it which I think is a positive consideration for the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Ryker Shaft Drive
    1. Reliability? So far after 4000 miles its been fine.
    2. Smoothness or Blacklash? Mine does clunk a bit on deacceleration but doesn't seem to be a big deal.
    3. How does it compare to your belt drive Spyder? For me the drive shaft is smoother (except occasional clunk). I do get belt vibration on my RS and I find it annoying as hell. I'd say the Ryker overall is a smoother machine than my RS

Ergos
    1. Average frame- 5’11“/32” inseam- will I be comfortable for 2-3 hr stretches? I'm 5-10, same inseam. I don't have a problem with comfort per say but...I wish the ryker seat has about 2" taller. The softness is fine...I just wish it sat up a little higher. So, much so I'm going to have a custom seat made to do this.
    2. Those Can-am seats don’t look comfortable- any aftermarket options proven to be better?. Stock seat seem fine to me. Just need to be higher. That said overall my RS rides A LOT better than my Rally. Smooth pavement is a non issue but when the pavement gets rough, cracked, potholes, etc the Ryker suspension isn't as nice as the RS.

CVT
    1. Are the revs at highway speeds extreme or annoying? For me no. For others yes. My RS rev's higher than the Ryker. Reving in the 5K-7K range doesn't bother me at all. In fact I like it.
    Awesome detail- thanks! The Ryker is a curiosity for me; I want to dislike it but I can’t. I’m going to have to rent one along with the F3S and T. If I could indulge with a final question. The Ryker was a clean sheet design; do you feel the fit and finish/engineering is a step up vs current Spyder production models?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post
    You ask good questions but the only correct answers will come from you.

We have both a Spyder F3L and A Ryker. The Ryker is my wife's ride. I enjoy both but to address the smoothness I would say the F3 is hands down more smooth than a Ryker from the standpoint of ride and handlebar feedback. I have no opinion about the belt vs shaft as they are both good drive lines and do nothing objectionable. I do not notice driveline lash in either.

Your questions lead me to think you are looking for a touring bike or at least a sport tourer. The Ryker "ain't" it. Sure you can travel long distances on it. Sure you can rig it to carry your load but it is really more of a sport or bar hopper type of machine. It isn't the best tool for that job.

Go to a dealer and ride one to make your own decision.

You nailed me! I love Sport Tourers vs. full tilt Luxo rides. My plan is to rent at least a couple of models to get a hands on impression. Just from keeping up with this forum I knew there are some lucky folks housing multiple models and their thoughts (from experience over an extended period of time) would be invaluable to my evaluations.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Awesome detail- thanks! The Ryker is a curiosity for me; I want to dislike it but I can’t. I’m going to have to rent one along with the F3S and T. If I could indulge with a final question. The Ryker was a clean sheet design; do you feel the fit and finish/engineering is a step up vs current Spyder production models?
    Well, its a new model but mechanically its a parts bin machine if you ask me. The engine, drive train, etc all exist on other BRP products (have for years) so the clean sheet is the chassis and styling in my opinion. I think the engineering is on par with the other Spyder models. Maybe more so because it had to be designed to be a less expensive model. This typically means less parts and that typically means one part serving multiple functions. But it's a less expensive line than the Spyder line so you are going to have a lower level overall machine. Get what you pay for. When I say lower level I don't think mechanically the Ryker will be any less reliable than the Spyder. I don't think the "engineering" quality is any less. Really both the Ryker and Spyder have LOTS of plastic so I'm not even sure there is a big difference in fit and finish The Spyder is painted plastic which looks nicer and is easier to clean but its still plastic panel everything. The Ryker is physically smaller, less comfy, less creature comforts (cruise, gps, storage), etc. That's what sets it apart the most (in my opinion) from the Spyder. That said, also owning an RS and demoed an F3 a couple times......I find the Ryker waaay more fun to ride than either of them.

Its more of a bare bones bike than the Spyder. My typical ride is 100-200 miles. I've done 450 miles (in an 8 hour day) on the Ryker and was fine. Would I drive it across country. Sure, wouldn't hesitate. Is it made for that. Not really.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMO the worst thing about Can Am is the service department. They can be a pain. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    IMO the worst thing about Can Am is the service department. They can be a pain. cueman
    There all multi brand dealers by me so I don’t if there is such a thing as a “ Can Am” dealer. There seems to be a general dissatisfaction with dealers on the forum is there a general dislike of Can Am at these multi brand operations? I bought a KTM once from a multi brand dealer- what a pain that always was with only 1-2 techs qualified to work on the them.

Spyder Garage

Best way to judge is your butt in the seat on a test drive. "Touring" on any bike is relative, if you pack light, you can travel just fine. I road Old Yami Maxims in my 20's, camped in a pup tent, slept in a bedroll roll, and made it coast to coast on more than 3 occasion, 2 changes of clothes, and the wind at my back, and in my youth, the YMCA facilities and hostels or small inns were more than enough for me, nothing beat a REd Roof in a Thunder storm.........Now that I am older, and I have medical needs, I require trunk space and some comforts. But I would take my RSS anywhere, I have roughly over 160 liters of storage with all my bags, and I would ride it all day. Everyone needs a break from the seat every 150 miles or so, so range is not an issue, but I do have a 3 liter can I keep in the frunk. I ride an RSS, but we are shopping the Ryker. My wife wants the RSS, and I will be riding the Ryker, and I am going from Colorado, to Texas, to the Great NW and Seattle area, and part way down the PCH this year. Hopefully on a Ryker Rally. But I dont have an issue on the RSS at all. Oh, I have a test ride of the Ryker and the new RT scheduled for March, and I cant wait.....

I am turning back east before I hit California. Sorry, the lane splitting freaks me out in that state, if you have ever been in stalled LA traffic with Lane Splitters, they really can get in the way, and I used to generally support the theory. I would rather avoid California overall, the gas is too expensive, and I dont want to cross Death Valley in the summer.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

after 40.000 miles with an GS/RS and a Spyder RT we use the Ryker since 10.000 miles, its more sporty and much easier to handle here in the Alps, still not a single problem ..
    (all together this costs where nearly the same as an used F3 ..)
    I love most the new gearbox and the shaftdrive - for us its a super lightweight adventure touring "Spyder" ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQsis3FES4&t=58s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    Best way to judge is your butt in the seat on a test drive. "Touring" on any bike is relative, if you pack light, you can travel just fine. I road Old Yami Maxims in my 20's, camped in a pup tent, slept in a bedroll roll, and made it coast to coast on more than 3 occasion, 2 changes of clothes, and the wind at my back, and in my youth, the YMCA facilities and hostels or small inns were more than enough for me, nothing beat a REd Roof in a Thunder storm.........Now that I am older, and I have medical needs, I require trunk space and some comforts. But I would take my RSS anywhere, I have roughly over 160 liters of storage with all my bags, and I would ride it all day. Everyone needs a break from the seat every 150 miles or so, so range is not an issue, but I do have a 3 liter can I keep in the frunk. I ride an RSS, but we are shopping the Ryker. My wife wants the RSS, and I will be riding the Ryker, and I am going from Colorado, to Texas, to the Great NW and Seattle area, and part way down the PCH this year. Hopefully on a Ryker Rally. But I dont have an issue on the RSS at all. Oh, I have a test ride of the Ryker and the new RT scheduled for March, and I cant wait.....

I am turning back east before I hit California. Sorry, the lane splitting freaks me out in that state, if you have ever been in stalled LA traffic with Lane Splitters, they really can get in the way, and I used to generally support the theory. I would rather avoid California overall, the gas is too expensive, and I dont want to cross Death Valley in the summer.
    Sounds like you have a great trip in store for you and your wife! I like the looks of the RSS. Post your thoughts after your test ride- you’ll beat me to it before my April ride. I’m either renting an F3 or Ryker Ofer that- haven’t decided yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    after 40.000 miles with an GS/RS and a Spyder RT we use the Ryker since 10.000 miles, its more sporty and much easier to handle here in the Alps, still not a single problem ..
    (all together this costs where nearly the same as an used F3 ..)
    I love most the new gearbox and the shaftdrive - for us its a super lightweight adventure touring "Spyder" ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQsis3FES4&t=58s

Good to hear the Ryker performs well in the touring role. Ive watched a few of your vids- it was helpful to see your speed and the corresponding engine/CVT sound. Is there enough surplus watts to add heated grips and maybe a heated gear port?