Spyder Garage

Default Sena SMH10 Grief

I got a set of Sena SMH10 intercoms a few moths ago. I have had nothing but grief when trying to listen to music with my wife in the back. I have followed the instructions TO THE LETTER. I have reset the unit to factory settings. Even Sena is trying to figure out what to do. The problem...I have the VOX disabled both on the devise manager and on the units themselves, both VOX and VOX intercom (I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be, but that is how it is listed) . When I play music from my phone, it does great, until I actually start moving on the Spyder. At almost any speed, VOX breaks and the intercom comes on. Bye bye music. Push the jog dial and the music comes back on for a short period of time (sometimes seconds), and then, back to intercom. Anybody want to buy a set of SMH10 intercoms?

Spyder Garage

Are you sure your VOX is turned off on both sets? Do you have the latest update?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    Are you sure your VOX is turned off on both sets? Do you have the latest update?
    Latest update, turned off both sets, turned off on devise manager. Even Sena can't figure out the problem.

Spyder Garage

Very strange.

When we got our 20s setup, it did similar to what you mention. At first I suspected wind noise, turned out it was the exhaust tone triggered the intercom on.

Solution was as you described, disabling voice activated intercom.

SENAs can be finicky until you sort them out. You say you have latest firmware updates. I forget why or exactly what I needed to do a couple times with ours. SENA was a bit clueless, but someone here had me do possibly a master reset on each unit, then one latest firmware upgrade, or something like that. Seems SENA does not say this in their info, but that worked well for us. All the best sorting it out.

Spyder Garage

Have you disabled all voice activated functions on each SMH10 by following the instructions on pg 21 of the SMH10 User's Guide?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Man, that just seems counter-productive to have to disable a useful feature to have another one work! FWIW, my wingman and I use the Cardo Packtalk Slim JBL units without ANY issues... I can have music AND the voice controls & intercom all working together in harmony without having to disable anything! My voice is damaged and I had to turn up the VOX volume to make it easier for me and my wingman had to turn his down some but other than that it was plug and play....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Was thinking about your VOX issue. Did you make sure your mics’ are facing the proper direction? The hole in the mic (under the foam) is supposed to go towards your mouth. If it’s facing the wrong direction I can see the wind causing issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    Was thinking about your VOX issue. Did you make sure your mics’ are facing the proper direction? The hole in the mic (under the foam) is supposed to go towards your mouth. If it’s facing the wrong direction I can see the wind causing issues.
    Absolutely. I am a pilot and have been using headsets and mics since I was 18, in the Army. As to all the above ideas, thank you. I can assure you that everyone of them has been done. Going to do a master reset again, and download the firmware again. We'll see what happens.

Spyder Garage

There was a guy a couple months ago that had issues with his SENA I worked with him a bit trying to figure it out. It ended up being a missed step of the procedures as outlined in the manual.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Absolutely. I am a pilot and have been using headsets and mics since I was 18, in the Army. As to all the above ideas, thank you. I can assure you that everyone of them has been done. Going to do a master reset again, and download the firmware again. We'll see what happens.
    Did master reset, fault reset, downloaded the latest firmware, 5.1.2, again, cleared all the pairings on both units, reloaded the firmware and paired one of the units with the phone. We'll see what happens now.

Spyder Garage

Did master reset, fault reset, downloaded the latest firmware, 5.1.2, again, cleared all the pairings on both units, reloaded the firmware and paired one of the units with the phone. We'll see what happens now.
    Fingers crossed

Spyder Garage

YIPPEE!! Took the Spyder out today (super cold for Florida, wasn't even 60 degrees). Everything worked the way it was supposed to. I think that perhaps there was a bug in the firmware that they finally corrected within the past few days.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S