Spyder Garage

Default Off road with a Ryker

I think I should have attached some photos from last weekend on my Ryker. I rode for 50 miles on very, very muddy fire roads. It was 6 inches thick at times. Any cars I saw were stuck, so it was me and a bunch of Jeeps! I goes well in the rough stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is really great data. I am very interested in the Ryker Rally for some Off road stuff. I live in Western Colorado near the four corners, and we have TONS of back roads here that I would not recommend for my current Spyder, or a 2WD machine. They go for hundreds of miles, and there is NO CELL SERVICE. So seeing some data on the Ryker off road capabilities is very encouraging. Hoping to retire and pass down my 97 BMW Funduro, but not ready to give up trail riding yet (and I mean the established back roads, I don't MX ride anymore, torn shoulder wont allow it.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    I think I should have attached some photos from last weekend on my Ryker. I rode for 50 miles on very, very muddy fire roads. It was 6 inches thick at times. Any cars I saw were stuck, so it was me and a bunch of Jeeps! I goes well in the rough stuff!
    Glad to see someone else riding their Rally in it's element!
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Nice!

Spyder Garage

I’ve been trying to write off the Ryker as a model choice for purchase then there you go doing what I love to do....The Ryker is back in my brain.

Spyder Garage

The mud was so deep at times the front end was pushing it like a dozer! I never got stuck, but I darn sure didn’t ride slow, lol. Fast and loose

Spyder Garage

but maybe the rear fender of the 900 STD is better for roads like this ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVt...x9V7J-lFUeLFrE
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Any issues with engine temperature? The radiator looks pretty caked with mud. Same question to poli,
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

No problem but the fan does come on pretty often for a few seconds. But the front end is rarely that caked up, I believe it's just the fact that I am rarely going over about 18 mph.

Spyder Garage

Hey Triumphcycleman, your Ryker looks pretty much the same as my RT does for most of our winter!! Yours too, Poli!

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    but maybe the rear fender of the 900 STD is better for roads like this ??

Chris, many Adventure bikes &/or bikes designed & intended for use on muddy surfaces get those smaller fenders mainly because a close fitting full fender is far more prone to filling up with mud very quickly and while that can sap a lot of power & be bloody hard to clean out (often requiring the wheel removal!) it can also sometimes even jam the wheel up so much that it stops the wheel from turning!! And when it's the driven wheel, that's really not a good thing for any type of driveline!! Do you really need to ask me how I know this?!

So personally, I reckon the small rear fender is the far better choice to stick with on a Ryker Rally, especially if you ever intend on ryding your Rally on surfaces that are a bit muddy!
    But if you're going to spend the bulk of your time on sealed surfaces....
    Still, your machine, your choice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-18-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Wow

Can’t tell is that the Ryker Rally. Were you in Rally mode? How easy was it to clean up?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyjfrancis View Post
    Can’t tell is that the Ryker Rally. Were you in Rally mode? How easy was it to clean up?
    Mine is a Rally and yes, if you hit mud or deep sand you will need rally mode. If not, once your back tire starts slipping the VSS kicks in and brings you to a stop pretty quick. I usually ride dirt roads in eco mode but switch to rally if I see mud or sand. This allows you to keep up enough speed to get through and is actually a lot of fun sliding around a little. Washing is no problem, just a regular hose nozzle on jet pattern. One thing I have noticed is the color panels clean good but the matte black plastic on the rest of the bike tends to stain some. It's not a big deal to me because I treat my Rally as a dual sport bike. Only run into two problems so far riding the way I do. Got stuck once riding in an area I definitely should not have been (my bad) and riding for a long ways in mud -- see my thread "VSS Fault" which turned out to be no real issue. The Rally is a blast ridden this way! So hit the dirt and enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for that information. It was helpful.

Spyder Garage

Here in northern Wyoming, we have tens of thousands of miles of gravel and dirt roads that go to some incredibly cool places, so it's a real point in the Ryker's favor that it can handle light-to-moderate offroad work. Just have to figure out how to mount some fishing rod holders and a gun case...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoahMercy View Post
    Here in northern Wyoming, we have tens of thousands of miles of gravel and dirt roads that go to some incredibly cool places, so it's a real point in the Ryker's favor that it can handle light-to-moderate offroad work. Just have to figure out how to mount some fishing rod holders and a gun case...
    Buy the accessory Linq plate and then by the "holders" Linq accessories from the ATV, ski-doo, Ryker, etc.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...cessories.html
    https://www.ski-doo.com/shop/Accesso...nq_system.html
    https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/e..._accessor.html