Spyder Garage

Default Should I do or NOT do the canisterectomy to my 2008 Spyder with 350km on board?

Hello,

So BRP said to do the mod with the purge hose and leave the canister on the bike. I have read on this forum it is better to do the canisterectomy, BUT I do not like the idea to leave the final hose in the back of the bike above the exhaust pipe. If I do it I will put the hose in front of the bike, above max fuel level and then go with it towards down someware.

So is better with the canister or without?

Sergiu(low
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'This is How to:'...

Spyder Garage

I routed the vent hose to the rear and have had zero issues. I have never had any liquid fuel come out of the end of the vent hose. I'd say hundreds have done it this way as well. Also without issues. Unless you've got fuel pouring out of the vent hose (which means something is very wrong), you will not have issues either. The alternative is to run the vent hose past the hot engine and put any venting fumes in front of you.

If you are getting fumes from your canister now. It means that there is raw, liquid fuel in there. Unless you need to have that canister in place to pass inspection (and to do that it probably needs to be functional as well). The better way to go is to just remove it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-16-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu1 View Post
    Hello,

So BRP said to do the mod with the purge hose and leave the canister on the bike. I have read on this forum it is better to do the canisterectomy, BUT I do not like the idea to leave the final hose in the back of the bike above the exhaust pipe. If I do it I will put the hose in front of the bike, above max fuel level and then go with it towards down someware.

So is better with the canister or without?

Sergiu(low
    I had an 08 and an 11 V-twin spyders….. Go to my Albums and see how I did it ( pics with explanation ) without re-moving the cannister , very easy and it remains functional, with No possibility of becoming contaminated ….. good luck … Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You don't say which model or year Spyder you have. Removing the canister on later models is usually not necessary.

I routed the vent hose to the rear and have had zero issues. I have never had any liquid fuel come out of the end of the vent hose. I'd say hundreds have done it this way as well. Also without issues. Unless you've got fuel pouring out of the vent hose (which means something is very wrong), you will not have issues either. The alternative is to run the vent hose past the hot engine and put any venting fumes in front of you.

If you are getting fumes from your canister now. It means that there is raw, liquid fuel in there. Unless you need to have that canister in place to pass inspection (and to do that it probably needs to be functional as well). The better way to go is to just remove it.
    Ron He has a 2008 GS, he is new and just got the bike his first Spyder.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Ron He has a 2008 GS, he is new and just got the bike his first Spyder.
    Yes, I know. Brain damage or old age. I edited my post but too late.

Spyder Garage

Yes I am new on bike, but I have experience with engines...on water where is much worst if something happens with the fuel rail...I have build my stage 3 Yamy SHO engine.

Anyway thx all of you for ideas, I need some help in one more issue, the DPS. BRP said to go to the dealer to change it asap even if the ski is only 366km now (2008), free of charge !

All of you with 2008-2009 have done same thing? Did you changed the DPS? With or without software update?

Sergiu

Spyder Garage

Yes I am new on bike, but I have experience with engines...on water where is much worst if something happens with the fuel rail...I have build my stage 3 Yamy SHO engine.

Anyway thx all of you for ideas, I need some help in one more issue, the DPS. BRP said to go to the dealer to change it asap even if the ski is only 366km now (2008), free of charge !

All of you with 2008-2009 have done same thing? Did you changed the DPS? With or without software update?

Sergiu
    I had an 08 GS and it was re-placed under warranty …… if you can do the same - do it …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Sergiu
    I would highly doubt that BRP will warranty a 2008 DPS. But I would certainly try. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

You can change out the DPS yourself. But you'll need BUDS to re-set the Steering Angle Sensor.

Spyder Garage

If you can take it out, take it out, reduces your weight, and small amounts add up....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Removed mine on my 2012 RT... vented it above right light above wheel... now doesn't smell of fuel after a ride!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would highly doubt that BRP will warranty a 2008 DPS. But I would certainly try. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

You can change out the DPS yourself. But you'll need BUDS to re-set the Steering Angle Sensor.
    Well BRP will cover the DPS change, this is the mail from them:

-----Original Message-----
    From: noreply@salesforce.com [mailto:noreply@salesforce.com] On Behalf Of E2CASEBRP
    Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 1:47 PM
    To: OVANEZ Sergiu CONSULTANT RADCOM
    Subject: RE: Product Information [ ]

Helo Sergiu,

Thank you for providing the VIN.

As there is an unclaimed safety recall we strongly suggest that you book an appointment with one of our authorized dealerships.

Based on your provided location I found the following dealership listed below.

EURONAUTICA INTERNATIONAL
    E-mail: office@euronautica.ro
    phone: 021.209.47.55

ATVRom Bucharestst
    E-mail: mircea@atvrom.ro
    phone: 0730.730.726 / 0723.604.204

Furthermore, as your vehicle is still registered in the system to the previous owner, we would like to carry out the system registration for you. All we need is a copy or scan of your purchase contract and some information from you.

Please note that both signatures (buyer and seller) and the VIN number must be visible on the document. The following information is required:

- Full name of the new owner
    - Current address, phone number and e-mail address

If you have any other questions related to this or anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a good day,

Marko Drexler
    Customer Service Representative

So I called the Romanian dealer and they will do it free of charge !

Sergiu

Spyder Garage

Well BRP will cover the DPS change, this is the mail from them:

-----Original Message-----
    From: noreply@salesforce.com [mailto:noreply@salesforce.com] On Behalf Of E2CASEBRP
    Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 1:47 PM
    To: OVANEZ Sergiu CONSULTANT RADCOM
    Subject: RE: Product Information [ ]

Helo Sergiu,

Thank you for providing the VIN.

As there is an unclaimed safety recall we strongly suggest that you book an appointment with one of our authorized dealerships.

Based on your provided location I found the following dealership listed below.

EURONAUTICA INTERNATIONAL
    E-mail: office@euronautica.ro
    phone: 021.209.47.55

ATVRom Bucharestst
    E-mail: mircea@atvrom.ro
    phone: 0730.730.726 / 0723.604.204

Furthermore, as your vehicle is still registered in the system to the previous owner, we would like to carry out the system registration for you. All we need is a copy or scan of your purchase contract and some information from you.

Please note that both signatures (buyer and seller) and the VIN number must be visible on the document. The following information is required:

- Full name of the new owner
    - Current address, phone number and e-mail address

If you have any other questions related to this or anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a good day,

Marko Drexler
    Customer Service Representative

So I called the Romanian dealer and they will do it free of charge !

Sergiu
    …………….Wow you got Lucky …..glad to hear it …… Mike