Spyder Garage

Default Trouble with RT shifting

I have a 2015 RT with 26K miles. While riding it recently the engine started to cut out. When I stopped at the stop light I didn't think I was going to get it shifted out of second gear. I finally was able to up shift to third and again it wouldn't shift for quit some time. It started working perfect then. I was told it was low on oil by the dealer. I went through the routine of checking the oil and did add some.
    I took it into my local dealer and since it was close to the 28K scheduled maintenance had them perform the service. After picking it up I got 2 miles and it all started again. I know it wasn't low on oil since since they just changed it and had installed new spark plugs fuel filter and other items checked as part of the scheduled maintenance. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? Anyone have their transmissions replaced? I would appreciate your learned responses.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did you look for any codes? And just because the dealer changed the oil didn't mean they got it full. All ways check your oil per the manual (hot after a ride with in about 1 min. of turning the bike off) You do have a SE6 correct?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

No codes were displayed. The oil I added was dealer recommended.

Spyder Garage

You access Active Codes by pushing the Mode, Set and Turn Signal buttons all at the same time and with the key on, and you will see the code, If the code is no longer active you will get a blank screen. Usually the best time to do this is right after you have the problem and before you turn the key off. Once you turn the key off only a BUDs system can see the codes that are set. So when the dealer did the service did they change the transmission filter? SE6 or SM6?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Yes, they changed the transmission filter. Not sure what oil they used but dealer has 3 dealerships hopefully he used what was recommended. Thanks for your replies I just feel at they mercy. Don't like to start out on a ride with an unreliable machine.

Spyder Garage

Well there are a few things it could be. Next time it happens look for codes like I said above. SE6 or SM6 makes a difference. two things it might be there is a shaft on the left side that gos down to the shift lever that come lose some time, there is also shift actuators that go bad and can set codes. Of course low oil, plugged filter.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

get the codes if you can,the gear selector switch on the bars can go sticky or the gear selector on the g/box.the codes will help a lot, good luck

Spyder Garage

Copper Spyder You have asked the question three times if he's got the SE or SM model and he hasn't helped you out and answered that question!! If he was to answer that would you be able to help him out more?? Just trying to helpa Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl