Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Magic Mirror Question #8,317,429

Sorry to post yet another MM question, but I searched A BUNCH of other MM-related post and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

I got my MM from LaMonster about a week ago. However, I noticed that instead of 6 white plastic washers (the ones that are between the bolt head and the magnet), they only sent me 5. I called them and they are going to send me a few to complete my install.

Great customer service !!

In any case, I noticed that a few just installed the magnets on the lower mounting points, but left the original (non-magnetic) mount on the top. So here's my questions:

(1) If I do it this way, does the mirror exhibit ANY amount of movement (no matter how minute) when mounted ??

(2) If I went ahead and mounted the top magnet, what's the best way in dealing with that one Torx screw that holds that upper panel ?? I'd like the mirrors to be as flushed to the body as possible, and I'm imagining that if I mount the magnet on the top mount, it'll form a little gap.

and

(3) Which provides a sturdier/stronger mount ?? Using 2 magnets on the bottom or using all 3 ??

Just wondering what you all have done. Thanks in advance....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Usually the inst. will tell you to not use that washer. I took it off and ground a flat on it for clearance and reinstalled it. I believe most who use top oem post are afraid that mag's won't hold and that is insurance. I have 7000mi on my mm's and no prob's whatever!

Spyder Garage

p.s. I do inform the tech if I take it to dealer so he knows to hang on to em!

Spyder Garage

I used all three on my Wife's RT and have had no issues at all and we have even been on some pretty rough back roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Sorry to post yet another MM question, but I searched A BUNCH of other MM-related post and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

I got my MM from LaMonster about a week ago. However, I noticed that instead of 6 white plastic washers (the ones that are between the bolt head and the magnet), they only sent me 5. I called them and they are going to send me a few to complete my install.

In any case, I noticed that a few just installed the magnets on the lower mounting points, but left the original (non-magnetic) mount on the top. So here's my questions:

(1) If I do it this way, does the mirror exhibit ANY amount of movement (no matter how minute) when mounted ??

(2) If I went ahead and mounted the top magnet, what's the best way in dealing with that one Torx screw that holds that upper panel ?? I'd like the mirrors to be as flushed to the body as possible, and I'm imagining that if I mount the magnet on the top mount, it'll form a little gap.

and

(3) Which provides a sturdier/stronger mount ?? Using 2 magnets on the bottom or using all 3 ??

The sets I installed on our two Spyders came from another manufacturer and retailer and aren't technically Magic Mirrors. It may be somewhat like the fact that all tissue isn't Kleenex even though most folks simply say Kleenex. The ones I chose have larger magnets and I replaced all the original clips with the three magnets. My instructions tell me to remove the upper Torx screw and save it for the moment I lose one during some future project. The magnets are 1.5 inches in diameter, large enough to retain the upper part of the panel snugly.

At 80 mph (oh, did I say that our loud?) they're rock steady - no vibration at all (a vast improvement) and no indication that they might part company from the rest of the machine. I can't address not using the washer or keeping top OEM retaining clip; I followed the instructions that came with mine and am completely satisfied. Good luck with whatever you decide - it will be an improvement in either case I believe.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back when MM first introduced His, I had been researching doing the same thing ….. I wanted my mirror frames to be as close to the body panels as possible …. the mirror assembly only weighs 2 lb. 9.2 oz. - so after a lot of testing I contacted a Magnet supplier and had some made to my specs … I used 50n neobendium that are epoxied into an iron case. … the casing actually increases the strength of the magnet and prevents it from being destroyed if it breaks … since the pieces are permanently in the case the magnet remains fully functional ( actually it increases slightly in strength ) .... When I was searching for suitable magnets, I discovered that magnets that had 7mm holes ( to match the OEM bolts ) were much thicker than I wanted … so the supplier agreed to have 7mm holes created in the thinner magnets when they were made...... the final product allows the mirror housing to actually fit Closer than the OEM ones do.. … I learned way back in life some things work and don't need to be changed … this applies to the mirror connections, the problem wasn't the upper OEM attachment, it was the two " dumb spring clips. So I only replaced those two clips. …. the mirror comes off ( and then on ) the way BRP advises to do it.... and that upper plastic disk holds the mirror body firmly in place …. I wanted a " fail-safe " lanyard that would prevent the mirrors from breaking even if you hit a tree ( at less than 20mph ) I created a 20ga. metal clip that will slide between the body panels at the upper Torx bolt and has a 4in. length of 300lb. test fishing line. The line is placed under the plastic disk and screwed down. … if I need to remove that lanyard , all I have to do is loosen the Torx bolt and slide the metal clip out ….easy - peasy …. I inadvertently hit a RR tie at 20-25 mph and my fender slapped my tires but the mirrors never moved …… Mike

Spyder Garage

I installed MM after the first time I did any work on my RT Limited. Big lesson learned.

I've had no issues with shaking at any speed (0-95 mph).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    p.s. I do inform the tech if I take it to dealer so he knows to hang on to em!
    To be safe take your mirrors home with you. Or if you are trusting, wrap them up and put them in the frunk. There's no telling who will actually be working on your spyder. The last (and only) service tech to work on my spyder told me to take them off and keep them. He said he didn't need them. You don't want to hear this when you go to pick up your beloved ride.
    "Oops sorry I broke your mirror. It wasn't attached like I thought it was. Hope you can fix it, wasn't my fault."

Spyder Garage

I did the standard install on all three (removing the washer on the top screw), but I did add a high strength fishing leader as a tether just in case. No problems and very happy about not having to "hit" the mirror to break it loose.

Spyder Garage

3 mags and the tether. Works soooo much better the BRP silly design.

Lou---- should have gone skiing today---- it was good. Not great.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have MM installed on my spyder.

Take a look at "My Albums" for pictures of the install.

I used the 3 magnets that came with the MM.

The mirrors do not move, I go 70 mph on the highway.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Put all 3 on mine... Sits at 85uk miles per hour on the motorway and they don't move.. !

Spyder Garage

I bought the set with that uses two magnets on each side and the top post that came with the Spyder. No gap, no shaking.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I took the washer out, and just took a wire tie and went around the wire connector for the light in the mirror, used that for my tether! It would take a lot to knock one off!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had the MM on my 13 RTL. Put all three on. Actually my has them on her !4 RT also. Loved them, Rode from Las Vegas to Valdosta, Georgia and back, they never moved. We traveled the speed limit all the way. Another time when I was with my son (he was riding his BMW 1600) and I won't saw where or when my 13 RTL speedometer read well north 100, and the mirrors did not move.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post

and

After fitting my MM's to my 2017 RTL:
    • There was less vibration in the mirrors, something that had annoyed me for a while
    • The MM's also are so strong I can push the RTL along via the mirrors
    • I used all 3 magnets
    • Mounting them didnt change the position, the magnets + washers equated to about the same thickness as the OEM mounts.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

2 magnets, left the factory top clip. No problems, no shaking, rock solid
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    I bought the set with that uses two magnets on each side and the top post that came with the Spyder. No gap, no shaking.
    Is this a cheaper set? I would be interested in more details on this set. Where do you get it? Thanks!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Is this a cheaper set? I would be interested in more details on this set. Where do you get it? Thanks!

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/magic-mirrors/

Lamonster used to sell two magnet sets. Regardless, I would have just used two of the pairs and kept the top pin in place.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I installed the mirrors per instructions, 3 magnets. Been a while back. I like that phrase used in a post earlier, above 100. Very familiar with that term. That is, some of my friends use it. Rock solid mirrors and even after I had a set of concave, wide angle mirrors installed on top of the original. That is a Tricled thing. And I don't use a lanyrd. The guy who invented them said no lanyard was needed, so... There is no such thing about an RT that is 'cheap'. Pay the freight. I paid 24K new and have never even considered that word. It is a minor thing paying the asking price for the greatest thing ever invented for the RT. but, as they say in Valcourt, chacan a son gout.