Spyder Garage

Default Any Cardo Packtalk Bold issues?

I have a 2016 RT Limited with the CB harness added. My buddy has the same year bike and CB harness. We also ride a lot with a 2018 Goldwing that uses the Sena 20s EVO headset as well as CB. CB has worked well for us over the years especially since my buddy and I bought the J&M Corp 801 series headsets for our Spyders. Far better than any other wired setup out there.

Fast forward, my Spyder buddy is awaiting delivery of a 2020 RT Limited which doesn't have the CB harness anymore. My Goldwing buddy isn't enamored with his Sena 20s EVO. Helmet speakers suck so he uses earbuds.

Since we are now having to switch to Bluetooth, we've been researching for the best headsets to use. None of us use the bike speakers, everything plays through helmet speakers or earbuds; phone, GPS and CB.

The more I look at it, it seems the Cardo Packtalk Bold with the JBL helmet speakers seem to check the boxes needed but it seems like the majority on the forum prefer the Sena.

Anybody that presently use the Cardo Packtalk have any issues with them? I know they are higher priced than some of the others but anything that reduces the frustration factor while riding is money well spent.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I use the Cardo Packtalk Bold with the JBL speakers. They have worked great for us and have had no issues with them. We connect them to our phones with no issues. The only thing my wife has noticed is the phone tends to disconnect / reconnect multiple times to the Cardo when she has the phone in her pocket. When it is in the holder on the handle bars it does not seem to happen. That is the only thing we have noticed. We like them.

Spyder Garage

We have the Freedom4 from Cardo, they are great. We also are thinking about the PackTalk, since they will re-connect and daisy chain. Please post your experience if you get them! They are pricey, so I'd like to see how other fair

Spyder Garage

We also have the Freedom4 great sound from the JBL speakers , only problem can't figure out how to send music to both driver and passenger and use intercom at same time .

Spyder Garage

My wife and I communicate through our Sena's. We replaced the cheap speakers the Sena's came with and life has been grand since.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think you have hit on the right combination. They work great for us, and the ability to have other riders join in without having to pair them up every time will be great for you. The JBls really make a difference. The only issue we have is the controls are a bit clunky with two buttons that need to be used to turn off and on.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

We use the cardo pack talk for the last two years. They have worked great for us. No CB but they do really well bike to bike within a half a mile line of sight. The DMC mode is excellent. I have looked at Bluetooth adaptors for handheld CB units, but haven’t bought one because the Bluetooth only supports two simultaneous connections which I use that for my GPS and phone.

Spyder Garage

Packtalk Slim JBL here and we absolutely LOVE them. Very low profile and bigger buttons which are hardly used because the voice commands are AWESOME!!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have the freedom 2 for my wife and myself. It works well with the standard speakers (though limited to only 2 riders). Bought the extra mounting / speaker set for each of us so we can easily swap the units between our 3/4-full face helmets as needed. The Cardo units seem to score above the Sena units now.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    My wife and I communicate through our Sena's. We replaced the cheap speakers the Sena's came with and life has been grand since.
    What speakers did you replace the Sena ones with? I would very much like to do the same thing.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ripped off the pieces that go around the ear. They fit in the helmet ear holes pretty well. You can use any speakers like those.
    You'll also need:

Sena adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The JBL speakers from Cardo should work with your Cena.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Well, I guess it's time to take the plunge. It seems the Packtalk Bold checks the boxes needed. I came over from owning a Wing for several years with a great sound system and CB. The migration to the Spyder has been a bit of a learning curve because the infotainment portion of the Wing, clear audio, great readable screen for GPS, and no-problems CB is far superior to the Spyder. Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyder and what it can do but there are always tradeoffs when changing machines.

I hope the Bold does what it is supposed to do. If so, I think I'll be happy.

Spyder Garage

FYI, the Cardo does not work well with iPhones. Everything worked with Android, but not my iPhone X, so we went back to Sena’s within 2 months.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    FYI, the Cardo does not work well with iPhones. Everything worked with Android, but not my iPhone X, so we went back to Sena’s within 2 months.
    Not true... My wingman has a iPhone X and uses a Packtalk Slim JBL without issue... Maybe you needed to upgrade the firmware....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

My wife has no issues with her iPhone X nor I with iPhone 8

Spyder Garage

I have an iphone 8.

Hope it works!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

i love my pack talk bold no issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Not true... My wingman has a iPhone X and uses a Packtalk Slim JBL without issue... Maybe you needed to upgrade the firmware....
    Sorry, it is true. For the Freecom 4, maybe not for the Packtalk, which is a different product and one I've never tried so I can't comment on it.

I also tried the Freecom 4+ and found many of the advertised features do not work with the iPhone, all newest and latest firmware updates. I called the Cardo tech assistance line and they told me that they will not ever be fully functional with Apple products because Apple doesn't share their programming information. All Android products are open source, so they will integrate as advertised.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I installed the PackTalk Slim as well as two of my buddies I ride quite a bit with. One buddy and myself have 2016 RTLs with CB installed and one rides a 2018 GW that has CB installed and used Sena 20s EVO in his helmet. All of us have iPhone 8 or higher.

OMG!!!! The DMC mesh communication is just flat out awesome. Clarity is great - like you're having a conversation in one's living room. After tweaking the mic position inside my Shoei helmet the Cardo voice command and Siri commands are 98.5% reliable, meaning I virtually never have to repeat myself giving commands. Your hands never have to leave the handlebars. My Goldwing buddy was very pleased promptly sold his and his wife's Sena units and replaced both with the PT Slim. He can communicate with us and also tie in to his CB to talk with other CB riders without any additional hardware.

Communication distance is probably 500-800 yards apart but double that with DMC mesh if three or more riders tied in the the group because you're daisy chained together. And it's self healing so if one person gets completely out of range, when he gets back within distance the communication is back as it was.

The other great thing is the upgraded JBL speakers are good enough to shed the earphones I needed with the Spyder infotainment system to hear well. My phone and the Garmin 660 are both tied to the PT Slim and can hear music from my phone and directions from the GPS very well.

I'm a happy camper now!

Spyder Garage

We are new to packtalk bold an on our first outing riding 2up I had a real problem with echo from the passenger. I have a Neotec 2 with a boom mike, passenger has Arai full face with their wired mike