Spyder Garage

Red face Will an ST-S SM5 suit?

Hi everybody-I am new to this forum and I don't have a Spyder yet. I have kind of started looking for one now since I can no longer ride 2 wheels. I see a 2014 ST-S SM5 for sale at a dealer in Tucson. Pretty low miles-8692. Since I don't know much of anything about them, any suggestions would be soooo much appreciated. I have ridden the Spyder at a demo ride during AZ bike week a while ago and I understand the handling, etc. The one for sale is the smaller engine. I am looking to see if there is one up here in Phoenix I could sit on to see if it would work for me. Some of the models I sat on in the showroom would not work.
    Key points for me is I am only 5 feet tall (in my MC boots) so where the foot controls are is key and my reach. I know there are risers/pullbacks available but, again, for all of them?
    Another question, and I don't know if you can answer it, but does anybody know of good dealers in Arizona? This might not be allowed to ask, and I apologize if it isn't but I am a new kid here.
    Thank you all very, very much for any info you can give me.

SKWRL-formerly known as Squirrel Killer with Star Touring & Riding (I ran over squirrels on my mc for some reason-kept running out in front of me)

Spyder Garage

You might want to look at the Ryker. Might be just the ticket for you. A new one might be in the ballpark of a used Spyder. Don't know how pricing goes there in AZ.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hello and welcome to the SL site.
    I ride a 2013 STS SM5. Its a great bike for me. I ride solo. Have almost 20K miles with no major problems.
    The 998 engine has plenty of power and likes to Rev above 5K.
    The 2014 model has improved side panels that are needed to reduce heat.
    The ST seating position is more vertical that the GS/RS models, vertical is better for touring.
    Search the ST folder and you will find plenty of hints and tips.
    Cheers, David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Depending on why you are leaving two wheels might play into what you want to look for. The Ryker is not a super comfy ride IMHO for long hauls - but you have an iron butt then maybe . We started with an STS-LTD (radio, GPS, etc.) and it was decently comfy with stock seat. However when my wife - 5' nothing - drove a 2016 RT that was it. The super wide BRP comfort seat makes an all day ride very enjoyable. However you can easily get an aftermarket seat later if wish for the ST. Either ST or RT will be fine for you fitment-wise. The ST you will lean a bit forward, and the RT you sit straight up. You can get handlebars that are adjustable - but search around first, not sure what they run or availability is for the ST. With tri-axis handle bars on the ST you basically will feel like an RT sitting position. If you like the manual shift that will keep the price lower. My wife prefers the 1330cc as you roll on the throttle a lot more to move, for her it is easier. For me I like the 998cc because high RPMs and super fast response (more fun in the twisties) - I have two 2008 GS's. I am the President of a local Spyder Riders of America chapter here in Virginia, and we like to encourage prospective buyers to meet up at a lunch to check out the different bikes for comfort, options, etc. I have taught several people how to ride on my GS's. I'd recommend looking up on FaceBook for local Spyder groups and ask to join one or two, say that you will be buying one and would like to meet up somewhere on their next ride. Usually Spyder Ryders are happy to discuss all things Spyder and help you out. Our group has no problem letting you ride around a parking lot to get the feel of the different models. I have seen some rides on TV in Arizona, looks like beautiful country out there! Be sure to ride both the 998cc and a 1330cc if you can, there is a lot of difference. The 1330cc has torque all day and can probably climb trees, where the 998cc is quick off the start and super responsive. Also, you might want to post a pic or link to bikes you are interested in along with asking price and get some feedback here. A friend of ours just bought a 2014 STS-S with under 5000 miles on it for around $9K. RT's are around 2-3K more. Don't rule out an older RS either, some have added saddlebags, handle bar risers, etc. already installed. Those can be found $7K - $9K range, a little more if they are fully tweaked out. Risers are very popular for the older RS models (998cc); and I believe Tri-axis kits can be had for ST and RT, though I haven't seen many RT's with modified or aftermarket bars, they reach back very well. You should consider what you need - some storage for weekend trips? Stereo? etc. I have a trailer for our RT (1330cc) and you don't even know it's there (tons of torque). It's a small lightweight Harbor Freight thing since we only use it once a year or so, not paying thousands for a pretty BRP trailer We use it for week+ trips (usually to Spyderfest somewhere to back all the stuff we buy!). Otherwise the RT has tons of storage more than enough for a weekend trip. An STS with saddlebags would have plenty too. Hopefully we will you posting your new ryde soon! Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

Wow, that was a super informative post. All of these posts are so helpful to me. I will take ALL suggestions seriously. I have found through the years that most people are willing to share their expriences and knowledge. I know I sure did. Anything to help a fellow rider out. The Ryker is not what I am looking for at my age now. When I was younger, it would have been great fun! I am off 2 wheels because of a bad fall on a corner and it takes me too long to heal now at age 62, but I don't want to give up riding at all so....I want a Spyder that will allow me to keep up with my husband on his Goldwing on longish trips. I am a long hauler, member of the first all women's IronButt completion so at my age, now I want comfort. My husband will also want to be able to ride it occasionally too. I checked on your forums and evidently, on Spyderlovers there is not an active Arizona group so I will pursue other avenues for that. I have always had Yamahas and Hondas because of their incredible reliability so I am hoping to find a Spyder that I can trust also. It also seems to me that Spyders out here are pretty expensive and hard to find. I shall keep on and yes, when I get one, I will definitely post it here. Thank you again!

Spyder Garage

Good idea to talk with Joe & Ann Squared away https://www.spyderlovers.com/spyders....php?zoneid=32. they great people, usually busy but probably have better working knowledge of the Arizona dealers
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Update??

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKWRL View Post
    Wow, that was a super informative post. All of these posts are so helpful to me. I will take ALL suggestions seriously. I have found through the years that most people are willing to share their expriences and knowledge. I know I sure did. Anything to help a fellow rider out. The Ryker is not what I am looking for at my age now. When I was younger, it would have been great fun! I am off 2 wheels because of a bad fall on a corner and it takes me too long to heal now at age 62, but I don't want to give up riding at all so....I want a Spyder that will allow me to keep up with my husband on his Goldwing on longish trips. I am a long hauler, member of the first all women's IronButt completion so at my age, now I want comfort. My husband will also want to be able to ride it occasionally too. I checked on your forums and evidently, on Spyderlovers there is not an active Arizona group so I will pursue other avenues for that. I have always had Yamahas and Hondas because of their incredible reliability so I am hoping to find a Spyder that I can trust also. It also seems to me that Spyders out here are pretty expensive and hard to find. I shall keep on and yes, when I get one, I will definitely post it here. Thank you again!
    Hello, While the ST is a great machine and may very well fill your needs. From how you describe your riding experience and desires ,
    I would recommend a F3-T, F3L or the RT for increased comfort and Goldwing compatibility.
    Check out your options. IMotorsport is one of our sponsors and they deliver for free.
    You can get a lot of ideas on cycletrader.
    I ride a 2008 GS with 102 K and while its been a great machine, At 62 I'm ready to move up to more comfort of the F3 limited or the new 2020 RT.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift