Thread: 2-Up Question

Spyder Garage

Spyder 2-Up Question

At some point I would like to convert my 2019 F3 Base Model to a 2-Up rider. Does any know if anyone sells a complete kit for a base model.
    This is what I think I would need.
    1- Passenger rear seat (currently i have a storage compartment)
    2- Passenger foot pegs
    3- Passengers grab rails or arm rest (preferable)
    4- 2-Up rear shock
    5- passenger backrest
    6- Driver backrest
    I'm I missing anything else?
    From the looks of it, might be very expensive but trying to get the safest/best products for conversion. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

I would upgrade to the F3T or limited. Would be a much more comfortable ride for the passenger.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Yea, I have the OEM rear seat with grab rails and it is okay for giving local rides but any longer rides would probably not be a lot of fun for the passenger. It would also depend on the size of the passenger as well. A petite person probably would not be bad though. I echo the recommendation of getting into the F3T or F3L if you were going to be doing a lot of 2-up riding. My wife and I have our own rides, that way I get to drive too

I can't think of anything your missing but I usually do not ride 2-up.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamguy View Post
    At some point I would like to convert my 2019 F3 Base Model to a 2-Up rider. Does any know if anyone sells a complete kit for a base model.
    This is what I think I would need.
    1- Passenger rear seat (currently i have a storage compartment)
    2- Passenger foot pegs
    3- Passengers grab rails or arm rest (preferable)
    4- 2-Up rear shock
    5- passenger backrest
    6- Driver backrest
    I'm I missing anything else?
    From the looks of it, might be very expensive but trying to get the safest/best products for conversion. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Arcamguy
    That list looks right should be able to do it for less then 2000 for parts. After that you will need to get boots, gloves, jacket, helmet and blue tooth head sets so you can hear your passanger tell you to slow down.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I would upgrade to the F3T or limited. Would be a much more comfortable ride for the passenger.
    Not to mention cheaper in the long run...…

Spyder Garage

IMHO, you'd be far better off to go and find yourself a good, used (maybe an unsold) F3 Ltd., anywhere from 2017 on up. Then you'd have exactly what you want from the get-go, on the proper platform.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I ride 99% of the time two up on my F3S.

Mostly one day rides (100mi to 300mi) and one or two long touring trips (+1300mi), and the F3S is just perfect for me.

I'll drive it almost all year as cruiser and put the cases only for a longer ride or for touring.

Have SHAD side cases and SHAD topcase, that gives me a 34.3 gals of volume cargo (vs 36.5 gals for the F3LTD).
    Good thing is that I can carry two helmets just on the side cases (which btw you can't on the F3T/F3LTD, you'll need the topcase), so I can leave the topcase at home if I won't need the extra storage.

You'll have definitely to upgrade the rear shock, stock one is really weak and will bounce and bottom when fully loaded.
    The two-up shock is OK, but if you can get a after-market one which is adjustable that would be the best setup.
    Mine is, and I just add 10 clicks on mine when riding two-up.

Have the passenger backrest for the wife, which is great as I can remove it just with a push for my few solo rides.
    Also have the blue ridge windscreen which you might want to add to the list if your considering touring.

About comfort, no complains from me or the wife. It's been good enough for long tours in Europe.

So if you're not after the audio system or the fancy dashboard, converting the base F3 does make sense.

That said accessories for Spyder are not cheap, but you might reduce the cost of the list if you can get from other fellows who are selling at a good price.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

I'm not all that familiar with the F3 models, but I have converted other bikes for touring by accessorizing them, and in my opinion, you'd be better off selling your base model and buy the two up touring model.
    You'll wind up with more comfort, more features and you won't have to work so hard, probably for the same money.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I fail to see how a stock F3T would give you a more comfortable ride than F3. Essentially same seat, maybe slightly better shock and same riding position.All you would need is a stock rear seat which you should find used for cheap, same goes for passenger footpegs. Passenger backrest and after market rear shock. Driver backrest I would say it's optional. I like it when i ride by myself but take it off when two up riding. If you are not in a rush you should be able to do the conversion for less than 1K which i think would be far cheaper and less hassle than changing bikes. Most of us over spend by thousands for that two-up trip that never happens . Dont over think it dont over spend.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Well said donhy.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

20190504_124739 (2).jpg Here's my conversion of a F3s to 2up. The back box is one of those cheap $86 cases off of ebay which will hold up good if well supported underneath.
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mully View Post
    20190504_124739 (2).jpg Here's my conversion of a F3s to 2up. The back box is one of those cheap $86 cases off of ebay which will hold up good if well supported underneath.
    Very nice!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey