Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Which spec and year to buy

Hello!

I'm in the Northern Metro area of Atlanta, GA. Almost at the foothills of North GA mountains and the Appalachian Trail.

I don't own a Can-Am yet and looking to buy sometime this year. Currently an active motorcycle rider - Yamaha SuperTenere 1200cc. It's great for the North GA mountains and trails.
    But looking at Can-Am as an option to ride with the significantly better half as well as making it easier for her to ride on her own.

I will not buy a brand new one so looking at used.
    Would like some help and guidance as to which spec and years I should be looking at for best value for the money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

15 or newer

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

3 wheels is a lot different than 2 wheels when driving, but just as much fun I think if not more in some cases. If I were you look for anything 2014 and up F3L or RTL and the only reason I say the L is for storage on the F3 model. The 2014 and up has the 1330 engine and it gets better gas mileage and requires less maintenance. The older models are good but have the 998 engine that gets less mileage and needs more maintenance but sill a good machine other than that. My 2 cents the other models are very good also like the Rykers for one up local fun type ride. There are some other models that are not made any more that are ok also but can be hard to find parts for if you look for used stuff. Good Luck Shopping, Welcome to the forum.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

@fatboy Thanks! Any suggestions on the spec / features i should look for ?

@CopperSpyder: Thanks for the info.
    Rambler
    IBA# 58774 | Blog: PoshGoondas | Instagram: IG | YouTube: YT
    Current: 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
    Previous: 2009 FJR 1300AE | 2010 Triumph Speedmaster

Spyder Garage

It really depends on what you want. The 998 has been written off by many. And to be sure, the 1330 has advantages. But the 998 is no slouch and has its own positive qualities. The only model I would stay away from is the 2013 RT. Nothing inherently wrong with it. But it was a bit of a step-child and cobbled together on the fly because it was designed for the 1330. But that motor didn't quite make the production line in time.

The 2013 RS/RSS & ST got a very bad reputation because BRP tried to cut some very foolish corners that year. But the core vehicle is just as reliable as the earlier or later models. But you get the new and definitely improved frame and suspension geometry that came in 2013. And with the factory recall upgrades really bringing this model up to snuff, the 2013's can be a real bargain.

There are a few questions you need to decide the answers to before you move on a ride. Is price more important, or low mileage and later year model? One thing about Spyders. Well maintained, they will go a very long distance. Do you want to tour with lots of storage? Or cruise/sport with less storage but a cleaner look?

Whatever you get. Give it time. As the Spyder is a great machine. But takes a bit of getting used to for some.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-14-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

CopperSpyder and Bajaron have covered the waterfront very thoroughly. I agree wholeheartedly with CopperSpyder because I have owner experience only with the 2014 MY RT-S that I have ridden for almost 65K fun miles. Since you mention you would like your better half to be able to ride herself, IMO, you must bring her into the decision early on and let her test ride both the RT and F3 models. Although my bride rides very infrequently with me and because of my natural minimalist bent I tour quite light but would not swap my RT for an F3 under any circumstances, but have a number of friends and acquaintances who love F3 touring.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R4mbler View Post
    Hello!

I'm in the Northern Metro area of Atlanta, GA. Almost at the foothills of North GA mountains and the Appalachian Trail.

I don't own a Can-Am yet and looking to buy sometime this year. Currently an active motorcycle rider - Yamaha SuperTenere 1200cc. It's great for the North GA mountains and trails.
    But looking at Can-Am as an option to ride with the significantly better half as well as making it easier for her to ride on her own.

I will not buy a brand new one so looking at used.
    Would like some help and guidance as to which spec and years I should be looking at for best value for the money.

Glad to hear I’ll have another rider OTP North! If you want to try one without a salesman breathing down your neck you can rent one at Atlanta Adventure Rentals. Planning to rent one there for a moto trip in April. I am researching my options as well with a purchase planned for sometime in 2020. Recently sold a Triumph Explorer and have a little Honda CL 350 to keep me entertained until I buy something- not even sure I will be in the Can-Am camp when all is said and done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you two should get together and buy that pair of 2015s that listed today

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    Now that right there looks like a great deal.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Agreed- price is competitive but I just cant get into that RT look. The 2020’s looks are much improved- very F3 like....my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    Could very well be a +1 on this if that model appeals to you. I'm just not an RT guy. Nothing against them. But if I want to haul a lot of stuff. I go in a car. Again, nothing against those who do. More power to them. It's just me.

I would say it is going to be important for you to test drive as many as you can. But that can be a bit dicey, depending on your background! Because I can tell you FOR SURE! That if I had test ridden a Spyder before I purchased. I would NEVER have put my money down. Lamont made me buy one sight unseen. So really. All this BajaRon thing... Well, you can blame it on HIM! Actually, there are a lot of things you can blame on Lamont. But we don't have time for all of that here....
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-14-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Glad to hear I’ll have another rider OTP North! If you want to try one without a salesman breathing down your neck you can rent one at Atlanta Adventure Rentals. Planning to rent one there for a moto trip in April. I am researching my options as well with a purchase planned for sometime in 2020. Recently sold a Triumph Explorer and have a little Honda CL 350 to keep me entertained until I buy something- not even sure I will be in the Can-Am camp when all is said and done.
    Thanks for the rentals tip.
    Rambler

Spyder Garage

Which model would be better for a pillion rider ?
    Rambler

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A 14 to 17RT, or 15 to 17 F-3 …. The sig. other would enjoy the RT more than the F-3 ….. the RT has lots of storage …..Mike

Spyder Garage

Which model would be better for a pillion rider ?
    RTL without a doubt.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

RTL without a doubt.
    Yes, a definite on that...

Spyder Garage

F3 is more cruiser style - legs forward of body?
    RT is more a dual sport style - more upright sitting ?
    If that’s the case RT would be for me.

Are the big panniers removable ? I’m right now at liking an RT sitting with F3 looks
    Rambler

Spyder Garage

F3 is more cruiser style - legs forward of body? Yes
    RT is more a dual sport style - more upright sitting ? Yes
    If that’s the case RT would be for me.

Are the big panniers removable ? No they are not removable I’m right now at liking an RT sitting with F3 looks

The new 2020 RTL will look a lot like the F3 but with the up right seating. You can also look in the Spyder Garage above and see the different types models there lots of photos of SL members bikes.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 01-14-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

All advice given above is good. Whatever you do, make sure the missus comes along for the test ride. IMO...the RT rides a bit more cushy. I do like the F3L a lot for one up though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

While I tour light the bride has always been surprised at what I can haul home from Costco when she say, "Oh, on the way home from your ride, after you gas up bring home..." which on occasion has included a 40# bag of food for the canine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You are definitely going to have to try both before you buy. You sit differently on the RT and the F3. That's important. I was all set to buy an RT until I sat on it. My legs and hip could not handle the position it put me in and the foot pegs were in the wrong place for me - and they are not movable.
    Then I climbed aboard an F3 Limited and WOW, a perfect fit - for me, but not for all. The generous floor boards are movable fore and aft and the handlebars have some up and down adjustment. The only modification I need for comfort is to get it to my saddle customizer and have him tailor it to my butt and put heat in it. I do that to all my bikes, so this is no exception.
    I'm glad I went with the F3L for a number of reasons other than comfort. The cavernous top trunk swallows two FF helmets easily and it is much easier to service, as there is far less Tupperware to remove to preform easy tasks like checking the oil level. That was a big plus for me since I do my own maintenance. I like that the gas cap is at the top of the tank, instead of under the saddle. Have a dealer show you the difference between the two series, if their salespeople have the know how to do that.
    Whichever one you get, you are going to enter into a different, fun and enjoyable new world of transport. I got mine only last February and have absolutely no regrets leaving 67 years of two wheeling behind.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Only a newbie here but great advice from forum members before I purchased was "ride as many as you can".
    Good luck and have fun trying them out.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Looks like I’ll be doing a few weekend rentals of different models and see where they take me....
    Rambler

Spyder Garage

RTL without a doubt.
    Can't say I completely agree - the RTS is every bit as comfortable.

I'm with BajaRon, and I even test rode one. I rode a '10, and honestly, after coming off two wheels it was a HUGE adjustment. But, the wife wouldn't ride on the bike anymore, so the only option for use was three wheels or nothing. I was more comfy on the F3, but she preferred the passenger accomodations on the RT, so that's what we have. I ride mostly alone due to her health issues, but she rides a couple times a year.

Test ride, but read the "new rider" info here, it helped me a lot on my test ride.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Looks like I’ll be doing a few weekend rentals of different models and see where they take me....
    Yep- sit tight, rent a few and come late Spring the 2020s will be on the showroom floor and then there will be an explosion of used buying options. Some of the used pricing out there right now isn’t based in reality - that will change when the market gets flooded. We may even get lucky and other OEMs may join the fun.