Spyder Garage

Default Turbo 900 ACE swap on a ryker

So my gf has a sweet 900 ryker. A lot of custom stuff done to it. I myself have a 180HP Yamaha R1. Been thinking of selling it and getting a newer faster R1. But then I thought how sweet it would be to get a rally and maybe a turbo or a pro charger on the ryker so it would be faster. Also all my crouch rocket buddies would be jealous lol. I read where the snow mobile 900 has different heads and etc from being turbo. I知 just wondering about a whole motor swap OR run a 6PSI turbo in the current motor. I知 thinking some people issue would be traction. Which when I did a turbo on my slingshot I ran into a little. Anyways. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd look for a wrecked 900 Ace Turbo sled. Buy it and swap the motor and required electronics into the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    So my gf has a sweet 900 ryker. A lot of custom stuff done to it. I myself have a 180HP Yamaha R1. Been thinking of selling it and getting a newer faster R1. But then I thought how sweet it would be to get a rally and maybe a turbo or a pro charger on the ryker so it would be faster. Also all my crouch rocket buddies would be jealous lol. I read where the snow mobile 900 has different heads and etc from being turbo. I知 just wondering about a whole motor swap OR run a 6PSI turbo in the current motor. I知 thinking some people issue would be traction. Which when I did a turbo on my slingshot I ran into a little. Anyways. Thoughts?
    My Rally struggles for traction now as it is and I ride it easily. I could easily burn the tire off if I wanted to. I couldn't imagine even needing a turbo....but that's just my 2 cents

Spyder Garage

Have to agree with Markubis - more hp is always appreciated, BUT it does no good if you can't put it to the ground!
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Hmm. Maybe a stickier tire?

Spyder Garage

While the Turbo ACE 900's might LOOK the same & even use some of the same bolt-on bits, I've been told by more than one of BRP's go-to performance gurus that the block & internals are actually a lot stronger..... so simply fitting a turbo to your existing 'non-turbo 900 ACE motor' might not be such a great idea!!

It'd be nice to see someone do it tho... Sorry.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Have all the power you want if you can't hook it up what good is it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had a Supercharger on my VROD. Yes, the tire would spin, but if you rode it right, it was crazy fast. I reached out to Garret, the turbo people. They are looking into it. I went to the dealer and priced out the parts; $3000 or so, new. A wrecked one is a great idea! Go for it!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I’m saying wonder if the snowmobile turbo 900 would fit right up in the ryker. Like dimensions and all the same motor and all just stronger internals?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    I’m saying wonder if the snowmobile turbo 900 would fit right up in the ryker. Like dimensions and all the same motor and all just stringer internals?
    My guess is yes. The only difference is some internals. The exterior envelope of the 900 ace and 900 ace turbo is the same......except for the turbo of course. My guess is the airbox area on the Ryker would require some reworking.

Spyder Garage

With the recent topics about drive belts, could that be the weakest link if you did obtain more rear grip?

So often, regardless of the vehicle, increased power many times finds the next drivetrain item that requires upgrading. Just not sure if that could be done in a Ryker.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    With the recent topics about drive belts, could that be the weakest link if you did obtain more rear grip?

So often, regardless of the vehicle, increased power many times finds the next drivetrain item that requires upgrading. Just not sure if that could be done in a Ryker.
    I don't think the belt or CVT would be an issue with the turbo. The Ryker Belt is the same one used on the 850 Ski-Doo 2 stroke which is rated for about 160HP and also used on the 900 Ace Turbo Ski-Doo sleds. CVT is the same as well, except maybe weight size or spring rate, but those differences wouldn't effect strength or reliability. They would just change RPM and power curve. BRP has already done the engineering work with the 900 Ace turbo, belt, cvt, electronics, etc in the sleds and quads. That's why I say its a no brainer they would offer this package in a Ryker from the factory at some point. It costs them nothing and they can charge more for it.

Its really no different than the 600 and 900 engines in the current Rykers. BRP can sell the Rykers so cheap because mechanically they are parts bin machines for the most part. The engines, drive train, etc, etc already exist on their other products.