Spyder Garage

Default Engine temperature question

Trying to find out whether ryker has a temperature sensor/valve which keeps engine temperature in optimum zone. Problem: engine temperature doesn't increase during the ride in cold conditions. If I will stop and keeps it for 1-2 mins turned on, temp is going up showing that it is wormed up. However once I will start driving fast (above 30 mph) temperature immediately goes down. I can basically see that temperature bars showing it until I will see just 1 "point" on the screen. No idea whether it is normal or not.
    I thought it should be like on the car: temp is going up and stays flat until the end of the journey.

Could you please check your rykers engine temperature?

Spyder Garage

How far down does the temp go? Some cooling on cold days is expected. At speed it may keep the coolant at the low end of the thermostat range making your gauge read lower than you are accustomed to. Small motors are more susceptible to larger swings in coolant temperature because they don't have the mass to maintain a more stable condition. Also, being an all aluminum engine adds to this tendency. Not a problem.

However, if your temps are showing really low, it could be that your thermostat is sticking open. This is not good.

The last, and least probable, is that your gauge is not accurate or has an intermittent issue. Not likely with the symptoms you are having. But something to consider if the 1st 2 don't answer the question.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-11-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your outside temperature is say 0 to 12 degree C it will not heat up If you keep moving at speed only when you stop will it go up.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If I'm not moving temperature is going up until mid of the gauge (5 point if remember correctly) than fan is kicking in. If I will start moving faster than 30 mph in cold conditions (5-10C) temperature will be falling until 2 points on the gauge, finally at a speed 70+ mph after 2-3 mins driving it looks like there is only 1 point or even no, like it was cold.
    I thought it might be a thermostat problem as Ron mentioned, however decided to ask others as I have only 500 miles on mine.

Spyder Garage

My temperature gauge goes up to half way and stays there regardless of outside temperature or mph.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by njfishfan View Post
    My temperature gauge goes up to half way and stays there regardless of outside temperature or mph.
    Same here. Half way and stays.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

It was my expectations too, it should goes up and stays there.
    Looks like I have a thermostat problem...

Is it safe to drive with that problem?

I'm going to visit my dealer only in 2 months.