Spyder Garage

Default Installation Frenzy - Wheels, Tires, Lights, Etc.

In a fit of unconstrained post-Christmas activity I spent the past two days installing magic mirror mounting hardware and LED headlights, first on my bride's 2012 RTL and then my 2015 RT-S. Then I swapped the OEM twelve spoke black wheels and Kenda tires on my RT-S for a pair of PPA Widow 15 chrome wheels and Vrederstein Quatrac 5 radials (very nice Christmas gifts). The new wheels add some bling to an all black machine, and I like that. It turned out to be a decent learning experience, and was actually rather enjoyable (translation - not too many bruises or too much inappropriate language).

I managed all the tasks on both Spyders without breaking or losing anything - except one headlight mounting bolt that slipped into the abyss behind the frunk. Unfortunately - or by evil BRP design - it didn't drop through to the floor so it remains wherever it is. A short break and trip to Lowe's solved the problem and both machines are ready to roll - with brighter headlights and non-fluttering mirrors. Excellent. The next minor chore involves replacing the worn out gas cylinder that once held up the saddle on my wife's RTL with a McMaster-Carr version, as soon as it arrives.

I should also mention the black wheels - in virtually new condition - are available should anyone be interested in them. I need to do a little research before I set a price, but the good news is that I kept the excellent shipping box the PPA wheels arrived in. They're an excellent choice for those who like the "dark" look.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

A good description of a DIY project or three. A great feeling of satisfaction when you're finished. Except for wonder where that screw landed. I've been there so often, have a selection of metric fasteners to save trips to the Ace Hardware.
    Give us a report on those Vredersteins after a bit. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    In a fit of unconstrained post-Christmas activity I spent the past two days installing magic mirror mounting hardware and LED headlights, first on my bride's 2012 RTL and then my 2015 RT-S. Then I swapped the OEM twelve spoke black wheels and Kenda tires on my RT-S for a pair of PPA Widow 15 chrome wheels and Vrederstein Quatrac 5 radials (very nice Christmas gifts). The new wheels add some bling to an all black machine, and I like that. It turned out to be a decent learning experience, and was actually rather enjoyable (translation - not too many bruises or too much inappropriate language).

I managed all the tasks on both Spyders without breaking or losing anything - except one headlight mounting bolt that slipped into the abyss behind the frunk. Unfortunately - or by evil BRP design - it didn't drop through to the floor so it remains wherever it is. A short break and trip to Lowe's solved the problem and both machines are ready to roll - with brighter headlights and non-fluttering mirrors. Excellent. The next minor chore involves replacing the worn out gas cylinder that once held up the saddle on my wife's RTL with a McMaster-Carr version, as soon as it arrives.

I should also mention the black wheels - in virtually new condition - are available should anyone be interested in them. I need to do a little research before I set a price, but the good news is that I kept the excellent shipping box the PPA wheels arrived in. They're an excellent choice for those who like the "dark" look.
    .... I like folks who can do for themselves … and I'm sure you have heard my mantra about PSI for auto tires front 17-18 rear 18 ….. excellent choice on the Q-5's ….. Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    A good description of a DIY project or three. A great feeling of satisfaction when you're finished. Except for wonder where that screw landed. I've been there so often, have a selection of metric fasteners to save trips to the Ace Hardware.
    Give us a report on those Vredersteins after a bit. Inquiring minds want to know.
    …. there are about 35 or so folks here who are currently using them, and loving them ( since I introduced them here about 6 mos. ago ) and only one person had an issue about fitment , I found that interesting because none of the other folks had an issue with the same size tire ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Many a good Spyder mechanic has lost a bolt or nut into the everlasting ether realm of the bike. Never to be found again. I have lost a pencil, a fairing mounting bolt, and a seat mounting bolt over the years, never to be found again.

When installing Seal floorboards, remember them, I lost a 20" mag flashlight. That one did not go into the Spyder though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

of the bike with the fancy new wheels?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Nice work! I plan to follow suit in the next few weeks!
    2019 RT-L , Blue/Black

Spyder Garage

Nice work indeed. I did the same thing with mine in November, went a little OCD on my trike. I still have three or four things to finish (yea right), but I really like the trike now. My wife and I are so happy to have something she can ride with me on. She is also an MC rider so its something she is looking forward to driving herself.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    of the bike with the fancy new wheels?
    Will post a photo or two when the rain stops and I can move my beloved Spyder outside without soaking it to the frame. A bit of sun today but cool and very windy. Oh yes, and she who must be obeyed convinced me it's time to pack up the Christmas decorations. Guess what we did?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Many a good Spyder mechanic has lost a bolt or nut into the everlasting ether realm of the bike. Never to be found again. I have lost a pencil, a fairing mounting bolt, and a seat mounting bolt over the years, never to be found again.

When installing Seal floorboards, remember them, I lost a 20" mag flashlight. That one did not go into the Spyder though.
    Hahaha.......that gave me a chuckle, AR. I too have lost something around the size of a 20” flashlight (an 18” shifter), when installing my Stebel air horn. That was two years ago, and it is still missing

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I neglected to mention that both SlingMod and Lamonster installation videos can be very helpful. Regardless from whom you decide to buy your next project, their videos are worth examining. In fact, when swapping the OEM headlight bulbs for LEDs, I had my laptop on the workbench throughout my "test case" (wife's 2012 RTL). It feels pretty good to successfully tackle projects without paying a dealer to do what I feel I can do myself. Net cost was a few bruises, a bit of foul language, and one bolt. Not bad at all considering labor rates are in just over $100 per hour in the greater San Antonio, Texas area.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

I can't imagine losing a twenty inch flashlight (torch for our Colonial friends). Like my father used to say, "It has to be somewhere." I never thought that was especially helpful.

I've decided if that bolt doesn't fall our on its own - and I'm not holding my breath - I'll go looking for it when I get around to ordering and installing a Baja Ron anti-sway bar and have to remove a bunch of panels and other pieces parts from the underside of the machine (Pierre's lengthy two-part video is a good guide for that project by the way) .

Spyder Garage

Ah, a citizen of the Rose City. I attended undergraduate school - many years ago - at Pacific University in Forest Grove, not far west of Portland. I probably wouldn't recognize either the town or campus now, or Portland for that matter. The last time I was there was in the early eighties, and that was almost 20 years after I graduated. Doesn't seem that long ago. And yes, it's a very satisfying feeling to finish projects successfully.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 Victory Cross Roads for over 9 years and it never once went into the shop. I did all my own servicing - it never needed a repair. I upgraded steering head bearings to tapered rollers, rebuilt the forks and did a lot more. I hope to do as much as I can with my Spyder. Hell, I'm only 83 - just a kid and my wrenches get lonely if I don't take them out and play with them. Yeah, I call it fun.
    No sir, you will not recognize Portland or the road from Forest Grove to Portland. Our city council has repealed many of the building codes that maintained the integrity and character of neighborhoods. Consequently, houses are being torn down and apartment buildings and town houses take their place. Developers will put in 3 houses where one once stood. Aaaargh!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I can't imagine losing a twenty inch flashlight (torch for our Colonial friends). Like my father used to say, "It has to be somewhere." I never thought that was especially helpful.

I've decided if that bolt doesn't fall our on its own - and I'm not holding my breath - I'll go looking for it when I get around to ordering and installing a Baja Ron anti-sway bar and have to remove a bunch of panels and other pieces parts from the underside of the machine (Pierre's lengthy two-part video is a good guide for that project by the way) .
    I am thinking it went out with the box and packing material from the Seal Floorboards. By the time I realized it was missing, the trash was long gone. My bad.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red