Spyder Garage

Default Blueknight, You May Enjoy This

Curing a common problem. Soft Gas Spring on the trunk lid. Scale of 1 to 10, about 7.5.

Drilled gas spring to release remaining pressure. Drained fluid. Flushed to prevent oil contamination when soldering. Used an inexpensive Shrader valve. Prepped cylinder by sanding away paint. Prepped valve by machining away threads and adding a matching curve to mate with the cylinder. Cleaned and flushed again. Soldered fitting to cylinder. Serviced with 30 wt silicone oil. Required 1000 psi gas pressure. Lifts and supports like a new oem Gas Spring.

Honestly, buying new oem would be easier. Never found accurate info on inexpensive replacements.

If the sealhead does not fail, I can recharge the nitrogen as needed.

The coil spring is known to work too. Just tried this. Was not expensive, took about 30 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

How did you get the 1,000 psi gas pressure?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Curing a common problem. Soft Gas Spring on the trunk lid. Scale of 1 to 10, about 7.5.

Drilled gas spring to release remaining pressure. Drained fluid. Flushed to prevent oil contamination when soldering. Used an inexpensive Shrader valve. Prepped cylinder by sanding away paint. Prepped valve by machining away threads and adding a matching curve to mate with the cylinder. Cleaned and flushed again. Soldered fitting to cylinder. Serviced with 30 wt silicone oil. Required 1000 psi gas pressure. Lifts and supports like a new oem Gas Spring.

Honestly, buying new oem would be easier. Never found accurate info on inexpensive replacements.

If the sealhead does not fail, I can recharge the nitrogen as needed.

The coil spring is known to work too. Just tried this. Was not expensive, took about 30 minutes.
    I'm BLUEKNIGHT911, so if you are referring to me, I agree I Enjoy all knowledge …. I'm guessing what you did took about 2 hrs.+/- … when this type of strut failure became a topic here I suggested checking McMaster Carr for a re-placement, it was said that they didn't have a strut that would work ….. …. Well recently a few members here did the replacement with ……………………. a Mcmaster Carr strut …. amazing ..... I believe they paid $ 17 to $19 for them and had a choice of pressures depending on if you had a trunk rack or not ….. but thanks for thinking of me ……………..Mike ...………...I'm guessing that valve doesn't interfere with how it functions …...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    How did you get the 1,000 psi gas pressure?
    Nitrogen bottle. Same way we fill an aircraft strut.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm BLUEKNIGHT911, so if you are referring to me, I agree I Enjoy all knowledge …. I'm guessing what you did took about 2 hrs.+/- … when this type of strut failure became a topic here I suggested checking McMaster Carr for a re-placement, it was said that they didn't have a strut that would work ….. …. Well recently a few members here did the replacement with ……………………. a Mcmaster Carr strut …. amazing ..... I believe they paid $ 17 to $19 for them and had a choice of pressures depending on if you had a trunk rack or not ….. but thanks for thinking of me ……………..Mike ...………...I'm guessing that valve doesn't interfere with how it functions …...
    Actually, only took 30 minutes to do. Provided the seals never truly leak, I can pressurize this many times saving money each time. Certainly checks the frugal boxes here on Spyderlovers.

Spyder Garage

Ive got all the pn and costs for all the parts needed to add a 2nd gas spring to your trunk and also to put a replacement spring on your seat that is strong enuf to pop the seat up just by turning the key.these parts will definitely fit a 17 rtl plus I think most other Rt models.Just search on my profile for my old posts,there are several related to this.Website is listed so you can order online.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Ive got all the pn and costs for all the parts needed to add a 2nd gas spring to your trunk and also to put a replacement spring on your seat that is strong enuf to pop the seat up just by turning the key.these parts will definitely fit a 17 rtl plus I think most other Rt models.Just search on my profile for my old posts,there are several related to this.Website is listed so you can order online.

No doubt that is helpful info. For our Spyder though with the Corbin seat we do not run a Gas Spring to hold the seat up. Corbin provided a retractable metal bar that is simple and works ok.

As for the trunk gas spring, being able to recharge ours when needed rather than replacing is more economical and works fine. No doubt modification and recharging a gas spring is not for everyone.