Spyder Garage

Default 2019 Can-am spyder RT limited belt tensioner position?

I have almost 3000 miles on my spyder. I have noticed the vibration on hills and high speed runs on the highway. My question is one about the position of these belt tensioners. I may be overthinking it but here is my take on the placement. When I am accelerating up a grade or running two up or fast, my belt should be most tensioned on the top between the drive sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket. I believe the vibration is coming from the bottom slack in the belt. Why are we putting the tensioner on the top section of belt and not the bottom portion? The harmonic vibration should be coming from the loose area of the belt. OK, I know, I think way outside the box so please give me your opinion or enlighten me to your knowledge to this matter?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Prefix: this is a "How do I?" not a "This is How To Do!"

Spyder Garage

As it was explained to me when I had the same question, stop thinking of the belt like a chain drive. It is very tight, and under certain loads it will vibrate like a guitar string (on top). When I bought my Spyder it had a very harsh vibration at around 70 MPH almost all the time at most throttle settings. A bunch of good advice from some of the very helpful folks on here led me to 2 things. Finding the minimum belt tension for the RT models and a vibration dampener. I lowered my belt tension to the absolute minimum standard, and that got rid of so much vibration that I removed the belt vibration dampener after reading of some failures causing belt damage. I'd investigate my belt tension first, then get a dampener later based on what happens when you get the right tension on your belt.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

First time I had my new 19 RTL up to 82 MPH I thought the world was coming to an end. At 80 or 84 everything was fine. After about 2,000 miles the vibration point had slowly dropped to 78 MPH. After 3,000 miles it's almost nonexistent.

I was ready, after I first felt it, to install something but decided to wait. Not sure I will be doing anything to it now.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

CC you're thinking is correct. I made my own dampener pulley bracket and attached it to run on the bottom side - end of vibes at all speeds.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got the BRP tensioner with Lamonster wheel/bearing. Installed it on top where it's designed to be and no more vibration. Nice smooth ride now.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see that "Jim@SmoothSpyder" (a forum sponsor) also offers a top mount belt tensioner...Just wondering if anyone that is using Jim's could report back on their results???

I have his bottom mounted one for several years with NO problems...It is a VERY well made professional unit...

larryd

Spyder Garage

The bottom mount worked well for 85% on the RT's, the other 15% would still have some residual vibration which the top mount would eliminate. The bottom mount didn't work too well on the on the earlier F3's with the larger rear sprocket, but the top mount
    eliminated 95-100% of the vibes so I went to the top of the belt for all the new models of tensioners. Same components but the bracket is now stainless steel.

Spyder Garage

Where is the best place to buy a SmoothSpyder tensioner?
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

Probably from SmoothSpyder link right on the home page
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    The bottom mount worked well for 85% on the RT's, the other 15% would still have some residual vibration which the top mount would eliminate. The bottom mount didn't work too well on the on the earlier F3's with the larger rear sprocket, but the top mount
    eliminated 95-100% of the vibes so I went to the top of the belt for all the new models of tensioners. Same components but the bracket is now stainless steel.
    On my ride home with my 2020 RT I had it up to 65 and didn't notice any vibes. In case it becomes an issue will your tensioner fit the 2020's?