Thread: Salty Roads

Spyder Garage

Default Salty Roads

Have any of you taken rides when there is salt on the roads.They use that brine solution around here that leaves stripes on the road,but its gonna be 65 deg tomorrow and Im itchin to ride.Wondering what it might do to the wheels and frame .I remember how it screwed up the back wheel of my GW and was pitted forever after a winter ride to Daytona.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

If the roads are dry and the salt is dried on the roads you are fine. I would simply jack the bike up on a lift and spray the frame down and you are good to go. I put 400 plus miles on mine over christmas and I am in PA, NY and OHIO. I won’t take it into NY but right now PA and ohio we use a lot more brine than you guys have in the snow belt area. If the roads are wet, I won’t go out, or you’re asking for the salt to get in every crevice possible. Guys do it with sleds all the time but why beat them up. Dry go for it, wet NOPE!

Spyder Garage

A good wash once a week if you are winter riding so remove your brines and salts will suffice, just be sure to do extensive rust inspections each spring and clean up any little "cancer" bits that start, you will be okay. I know one rider that Flex sealed his bottom side as he rides year round in Minnesota, he even has studded tires....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    A good wash once a week if you are winter riding so remove your brines and salts will suffice, just be sure to do extensive rust inspections each spring and clean up any little "cancer" bits that start, you will be okay. I know one rider that Flex sealed his bottom side as he rides year round in Minnesota, he even has studded tires....
    That just brings up some horrible visions...………….

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Studded tires? Yesteryear I would have seriously considered that but today I don't think so. At temps below 30 I don't flex as well as I used to. I could probably get on my spyder and go somewhere, but when I got there I likely wouldn't be able to get off of it. LOL

Spyder Garage

Not my gig. i am in that time of year where I run it long enough to get the mail, and do some shopping, warm it up good, but I really dont ride from Dec through January, and I like car heaters just fine....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

The old rule of thumb here in Wisconsin, where there are 2 seasons, road construction and salt, one would not ride a motorcycle on the road until after the first serious rainstorm.
    I always cringe when I see a $30,000 Harley out on the first warm day in April.
    There are so many nooks and crannies on a bike ( and Spyder) that I do not believe that either can be properly cleaned from salt.
    On a Spyder you would have to remove most of the body panels to get close.
    I purchased my Spyder this past summer and had decided to not ride this winter until that first rain.
    However, after giving it some thought, I decided that since I am 68 years old and have some physical issues ( If I didn't I wouldn't have a Spyder) I have a limited amount of riding years left.
    I am going to ride when it's above 40 degrees.
    I have a heated jacket liner.

Let it rust.

Another issue is the salt and sand are very slippery.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Have any of you taken rides when there is salt on the roads.They use that brine solution around here that leaves stripes on the road,but its gonna be 65 deg tomorrow and Im itchin to ride.Wondering what it might do to the wheels and frame .I remember how it screwed up the back wheel of my GW and was pitted forever after a winter ride to Daytona.
    The salt will get everywhere. Even on a dry day the salt dust will get everywhere just like normal road dust does. Salt is hygroscopic so if you don't get every trace off (impossible) it will become damp and active. All the fasteners will lose their plating as will the brake rods and levers, the unprotected aluminium rear wheel adjustment blocks, the cast iron rear wheel spacers, the abs inductor discs, the front suspension joints...you get the picture?
    We did this on our first spyder and it took a lot of rectifying...well, it never got back to original because Spyders just aren't built to cope with winter weather.

However, get down to the auto motor factors and buy yourself a few aerosol cans of under body wax treatment. Saturate everything with the exception of the brake discs - then give it another coat or two. It will still suffer a little but you can then get out winter riding and double your riding season. There's some beautiful days to be had during the winter and if you've got a heated seat too, all the better.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

I do not ride my spyder from Oct. to April here in VT. My spyder is in hibernation from Oct.to April, due to insurance purposes.

I am usually on the the sleds from Dec. to March, than back on the spyder in April.

The snow, salt, brine that is used on the roads here in Vt. would rust the parts of the spyder. I paid a lot for the spyder.

To me it is not worth taking the spyder out in the winter.

Don't do it!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    The salt will get everywhere. Even on a dry day the salt dust will get everywhere just like normal road dust does. Salt is hygroscopic so if you don't get every trace off (impossible) it will become damp and active. All the fasteners will lose their plating as will the brake rods and levers, the unprotected aluminium rear wheel adjustment blocks, the cast iron rear wheel spacers, the abs inductor discs, the front suspension joints...you get the picture?
    We did this on our first spyder and it took a lot of rectifying...well, it never got back to original because Spyders just aren't built to cope with winter weather.

However, get down to the auto motor factors and buy yourself a few aerosol cans of under body wax treatment. Saturate everything with the exception of the brake discs - then give it another coat or two. It will still suffer a little but you can then get out winter riding and double your riding season. There's some beautiful days to be had during the winter and if you've got a heated seat too, all the better.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I read an article that said salt brine is many times more corrosive than rock salt. My bike sleeps from November to first spring hard rain.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I ride, Rode a little over a hundred miles today, but I live in Florida.
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Leave it parked. Here in southern WI they use both rock salt and the brine. Wet or dry, that crap is gonna get in every nook and cranny it possibly can. To me it's just not worth it. Now, if I had a nice big warm shop with a good drain and a good way to completely wash it after a ride, I MIGHT consider it. But the chances of getting ALL of the salt out of ALL of those spaces are pretty slim. That brine is as bad as, and probably worse than the rock salt....I hate it, and it is so over-used around here.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I strongly dis-agree, even if you pressure washed it ( which is a Bad idea for many reasons ) you aren't likely to get it all off.... as others have said, is it worth it ???? …. not to me ….. good luck tho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Cant resist ,Im heading out for the day and will check it over and wash it tomorrow.Thanks to all who responded.
    :

Spyder Garage

He traded in that one for a F3 Daytona, and you can find corrosion on it everywhere. I think the dealer will be using it as a shop Spyder, or selling it for really cheap.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 12tree View Post
    The old rule of thumb here in Wisconsin, where there are 2 seasons, road construction and salt, one would not ride a motorcycle on the road until after the first serious rainstorm.
    I always cringe when I see a $30,000 Harley out on the first warm day in April.
    There are so many nooks and crannies on a bike ( and Spyder) that I do not believe that either can be properly cleaned from salt.
    On a Spyder you would have to remove most of the body panels to get close.
    I purchased my Spyder this past summer and had decided to not ride this winter until that first rain.
    However, after giving it some thought, I decided that since I am 68 years old and have some physical issues ( If I didn't I wouldn't have a Spyder) I have a limited amount of riding years left.
    I am going to ride when it's above 40 degrees.
    I have a heated jacket liner.

Let it rust.

Another issue is the salt and sand are very slippery.
    I road my Harley Road King one winter and the amount of damage from the chemicals used on MN roads was very costly.
    Driving down the hwy on a dry warm day you could see the cloud of dust in the air from the dry chemical. That's got to go everywhere, so I no longer ride until the rain washes it off the road - no matter how tempting a day.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Just got back from my 268 mile ride and I think I got lucky bc there was hardly any salt on any of the roads.Bike has just the normal black dust it usually gets on it.Ill wash it anyway.
    :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Don't do it!!! But if you do, wash , wash ,wash!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Way back in the olden days after a day out 4wheelin' in the mud i'd slip an oscillating sprinkler under the Jeep and let it run for about 3 hours. Then drive it up a long set of nearby stairs to shake off the loosened mud, then put sprinkler back under. But I still always got a face full of dried mud whenever I had to get under that bitch.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black