Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Securing Your Spyder

When it's not in your garage, and you want to secure it where you've parked it, how do you do it?

My disc lock for the Goldwing will not work on the Spyder because the shank of the lock is too thick to pass through the holes in the Spyder's discs. There is no handlebar lock (that I've found) nor can you lock it in gear to keep the rear wheel from spinning. Seems that someone could just push it around wherever they want.

How do you secured your Spyder?

Thanks,
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post

Thanks,
    Good insurance.... well, that is no help for you... excuse my nasty comment.

Guess I never worry about it. Has steering lock, but I don't even worry about that. Guess I'm just too layed back...

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

There is a handle bar lock. Turn the bars completely to either side and turn the key to the right, WITHOUT pushing it down.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    There is a handle bar lock. Turn the bars completely to either side and turn the key to the right, WITHOUT pushing it down.

This is what works for me - always lock wheels when I leave my any place but home.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wbbrn1952 View Post
    This is what works for me - always lock wheels when I leave my any place but home.

Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

handlebar lock:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lock wheels prevents the easy rollaway and if you have to leave it overnight in a hotel lot, an XL motorcycle cover will easily disguise whats under it and prevent curiosity seekers and nosey lookers from touching. Real thieves will get around most any security device.

Spyder Garage

Looks like I need to read my owners manual better! Thanks for the handlebar lock information.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

HA! I just saw that I'm still having problems with my left and right after all these years!!!

Spyder Garage

I have the Talon alarm, but rarely end up using it. Will use it at motels/hotels .

Spyder Garage

I lock the steering and leave it in first gear. You can't take it out of gear without starting it with the key. When I was in Burbank I also put a cover on it while it was parked outside overnight. I'm more concerned about people climbing all over it than stealing it. Also, insurance helps too. Or an alarm system... which doesn't always work because most people just find them annoying.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Smile spydergirl

spydergirl that is so true how many times have you heard the security alarm go off at a store and they tell you "go ahead it's ok" same with car alarms.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Actually, it's to the left.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I lock the steering and leave it in first gear. You can't take it out of gear without starting it with the key....
    Hmmm... SM? I sure can. Just verified it again.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I lock the steering and leave it in first gear. You can't take it out of gear without starting it with the key.
    Yes you can take it out of gear without the key

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Using Low Jack and Talon.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Wherever we ride all our bikes are usually w/in eyesight so they are not really unsecured. I tried locking the bars but it's a pain to unlock - feel like I gotta fiddle w/ it. So I just put it in 1st, no parking break, take the key and walk away. And if anyone decides to mess with it, they have to deal w/ me, HDX or Roaddog. We are not nice when messed with

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Pistol Permit 2 Rotties

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not left my Spyder outside over night yet but I have one of these alarm disk lock (http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Xena_Disc_Lock_Alarm_XN10--636247.html) and a good chain lock that I will use as well and of course the cover. The only problem I have with the BRP outside cover is I have a taller wind shield and the cover does not go all the way down over the front wheels like it did and this I don't like as one said if you cover it no one will know what it is but for me the cover is short about a foot.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

At the BRP 2009 Rally I left the bike unattended overnight and HATED IT! I called the hotel security office only to find they didn't handle/own the parking. WTF? Using a cover was the best I could do to almost feel safe. Keeping them off is all I could ask for. So, for over night or all day, a cover is my best weapon.
    VERY HAPPY OWNER OF Spyder PE #1133 w/ Leo Vince, High Flow Filter , Red caliper trim(whoopty doo), BRP sport rack/backrest, BRP saddle bags, BRP comfort seat, Honda RC51, Buell XB9R, Garmin 660, Tackyon XC action cam, Nolan N103 W/ N-Com kit(never use it...)

Spyder Garage

Default MOTORCYCLE LOCK AND CHAIN (keptonite)

I use a motorcycle lock and chain (Keptonite) this chain and lock is no joke. They are strong and heavy and, I don't leave home without them. I will take a pic in the morning and post. You can buy them from any good dealer. I also use a BRP out door cover. You will like it and feel safe using it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    When it's not in your garage, and you want to secure it where you've parked it, how do you do it?

My disc lock for the Goldwing will not work on the Spyder because the shank of the lock is too thick to pass through the holes in the Spyder's discs. There is no handlebar lock (that I've found) nor can you lock it in gear to keep the rear wheel from spinning. Seems that someone could just push it around wherever they want.

Thanks,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

steering lock and talon alarm work for me.

Spyder Garage

Default Disk brake lock

I use the disk brake lock I bought from The Spyder dealership in Key Largo Florida, it is small enough to fit the Spyder and cost about $20.00, they will ship.It is very heavy duty special steel with 2 keys,if you lost the key, I do not think you could cut it off, so carry the spare in a safe place.

Spyder Garage

I don't really secure my spyder I guess. I leave it in gear, lock my handlebars and cover my seat, and take my key. That is the best I usually do and I park in downtown, Flint, MI every night until Midnight. For the past year and a half, never had any problems so that is what I will continue to do.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I have the Talon alarm, but rarely end up using it. Will use it at motels/hotels .
    Yup, love my Talon alarm's prox sensor. Handle bar lock is sufficent most of the time but I do carry a disk lock when needed (you just need to find one that will fit).
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS