Spyder Garage

Default electric motor cycling in front/under handlebars

What is problem? Power steering?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

The electric motors in the front are: cooling fans, windshield, steering, and ABS. The only ones that will cycle without you feeling something strange would be the fans. It is normal for them to cycle.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

At a guess, even though not the location you mention, if you have air ride rear suspension, it is likely the compressor.

Spyder Garage

When is the motor cycling? Is is while you are going very slow or stopped in city traffic? Is it when you are riding at moderate speeds?

Does it do it only while moving, or does it do it while stopped most of the time?

Has it ever done that before it gets up to normal operating temperature?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Fuel pump when you turn key on?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    When is the motor cycling? Is is while you are going very slow or stopped in city traffic?YES Is it when you are riding at moderate speeds?NO

Does it do it only while moving YES, or does it do it while stopped most of the time NO?

Has it ever done that before it gets up to normal operating temperature?
    Usually while moving slowly, hot or cold engine, It's not the radiator fans and not the air bag pump.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

On the bottom of the shaft that connects to the handlebars, there is a steering assist motor. It operates to make steering easier while going at very slow speeds. It is directly under the handlebars on the lower end of the steering shaft. It would not operate while stopped or while going at higher speeds. It would only come on while moving.

Spyder Garage

On the bottom of the shaft that connects to the handlebars, there is a steering assist motor. It operates to make steering easier while going at very slow speeds. It is directly under the handlebars on the lower end of the steering shaft. It would not operate while stopped or while going at higher speeds. It would only come on while moving.
    Thanks Gwolf. Can it usually be heard? Is it hard to get at it? Is it hydraulic? Since I can hear it is it about to quit? Is there something that can be done to fix it besides replacing it? I just checked the price of the power steering unit,,, $1036.99 . Holy Crap Batman!! if it stops working I guess I'll hafta start working out at the gym and put lotsa air in the tires so that I can still steer it.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Thanks Gwolf. Can it usually be heard? Is it hard to get at it? Is it hydraulic? Since I can hear it is it about to quit? Is there something that can be done to fix it besides replacing it?
    I don't know. I don't notice mine coming on, but I got a 2019 that only has a little over 7,000 miles on it. They are pretty expensive. Not sure how hard it is to get at. Most likely have to strip most of the front end. The shaft comes down from the handlebars and would be in front of the engine. I am not even sure that would be what is making the noise. I was just going by when it makes noise and when it doesn't.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...23db5/steering

That parts picture will expand to huge size.

Should be part #118 in the diagram. Might be able to turn the wheels all the way to one side and see it from down low behind the wheel. I don't know know on your model. If you can see it, put a light on it and look for anything leaking or that looks loose on it.

It is not hydraulic. It is electric motor to give steering assist at parking lot speeds. It might cycle off and on if you rode slow in a quiet place and turned the bars back and forth some.

Spyder Garage

I don't know. I don't notice mine coming on, but I got a 2019 that only has a little over 7,000 miles on it. They are pretty expensive. Not sure how hard it is to get at. Most likely have to strip most of the front end. The shaft comes down from the handlebars and would be in front of the engine. I am not even sure that would be what is making the noise. I was just going by when it makes noise and when it doesn't.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...23db5/steering

That parts picture will expand to huge size.

Should be part #118 in the diagram. Might be able to turn the wheels all the way to one side and see it from down low behind the wheel. I don't know know on your model. If you can see it, put a light on it and look for anything leaking or that looks loose on it.

It is not hydraulic. It is electric motor to give steering assist at parking lot speeds. It might cycle off and on if you rode slow in a quiet place and turned the bars back and forth some.
    Gwolf, thank you for your help. I'm sure that is what's making the low growling sound at slow speeds. I might be able to get in/under there to find out what its problem is sometime this winter.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

I've been looking at the exploded view of the steering section at Cheap Cycle Parts and perusing some older posts about the DPS unit. Someone mentioned that a bad battery or connection might be a culprit. Since my battery is probably 5 yrs old and has been giving me low voltage readings, I decided to order a new battery anyway. Also on the diagram I noticed a part that is labeled "Sensor Sleave", that looks like it could be made of brass or copper with a boss on top so that it won't fall thru the hole it sits in. It costs $1.99. I'm thinking that if the sleave is worn due to stupid/dirty engineering location it could cause the connected sensor to relay bad input to the computer and or the motor. I might hafta get under there sooner that I'd like, but I'll wait until new battery arrives and see if the DPS still acts up. What ya'll think? Yes, I know that I have too much time on my hands and I tend to over-think stuff but I don't like giving up and doing things the easy way. And "Management" works long hours to provide money for my damn toys, but she loves me something fierce and I love her just as much. She's awesome.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

Maybe to help diagnose the DPS you could go to a large smooth parking lot and drive straight forward with a centered steering. If you still hear it then it may not be the DPS, or the DPS is malfunctioning. I can't hear this noise on my RTL. Maybe hooking it up to BUDs will tell the tale.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I've been looking at the exploded view of the steering section at Cheap Cycle Parts and perusing some older posts about the DPS unit. Someone mentioned that a bad battery or connection might be a culprit. Since my battery is probably 5 yrs old and has been giving me low voltage readings, I decided to order a new battery anyway. Also on the diagram I noticed a part that is labeled "Sensor Sleave", that looks like it could be made of brass or copper with a boss on top so that it won't fall thru the hole it sits in..
    I guess I haven't studied the DPS parts diagram really close so that's a new one on me. My understanding is that everything related to the DPS unit is all contained inside the DPS unit and none of it is repairable, except maybe by the DPS manufacturer. It's also a pain to replace. When the one was replaced in my 2013 RT (that was a common failure back then) the shop guys had the lady service writer come out and finagle it out. Her smaller fingers made it easier to get out; not easy, just easier! AFAIK there are no rebuilt DPS units available. You might find a good one from a m/c salvage yard. According to the service manual you must reset things with BUDS after you change it out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I've never seen one torn apart, nor seen a detailed parts diagram of the DPS, but I don't think the DPS motor is an electric motor in the usual sense of the term. I don't believe it assists steering by turning many revolutions but rather makes a partial turn and applies a turning torque ala a stalled regular electric motor. It's conceivable to me that instead of applying a constant current to the DPS stator, if that is what it has, the controller is applying an intermittent current. That could cause a hum or vibration. If that is the case your only choice is to live with it or replace it.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Ok guys, thanks all of your replies/help, but I'm gonna put this problem solving on hold until the weather warms up at least 50 degrees. If anyone knows what company actually manufactures this damn thing let me know and I'll try a little industrial espionage to figure it out. Thanks again everyone.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires