Spyder Garage

Default Brembos on pre 2013 SpyderRT

This idea came to me while reading another post on repairing a caliper or getting a used one off of Ebay. Has anyone tried to replace the 2010-2012 RT calipers with Brembo unites from a later RT? I see that you can get them fairly reasonable from Ebay.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I think you would find it a daunting task. Though the Brembo's are a worthy improvement over the systems on 2008-2012's. Those still do a good job overall.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Besides bolt patterns unlikely to match, or rotor disk & the ABS programming, all would require major understanding & probably a massive undertaking.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you want to swap over to the Brembo calipers, there's a good chance you'd also need to fit the matching master cylinder, or you might get odd results..... and you may also hafta re-programme the ABS & VSS to suit changes brought about by the Brembo braking system too!

So it's probably not quite as straighforward a swap as you might think.... But then again, anything is do-able, given the will plus enough time & money!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Curious, what was the earlier brand brakes, Nissin? If so, they are no slouch.

Spyder Garage

You can probably get rebuild kits for the older brakes. Not so the Brembos - it's replace the whole caliper. very annoying.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Curious, what was the earlier brand brakes, Nissin? If so, they are no slouch.
    It is my understanding that the original calipers were of a BRP in house design produced in China. They are unique.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron is correct, they are BRP's own, and yes they are Chinese. I have already put EBC disks and pads on the front and EBC pads on the rear. My brakes are good but I would like better.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The quickest and easiest way to upgrade your brakes? Trade in your 2012 for a new RT!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I think of that all the time but finances are not in a position to go that route. Besides I only have 53,000+ miles on my 2012.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When BRP went to Brembo front brakes they also went to 15" front wheels to clear the calibers...

Spyder Garage

Regarding the manufacturer of pre 2013 brakes. Years ago I did the research and found the manufacturer and posted all the info here on Spyderlovers. Unfortunately the owner of the thread that I posted to appears to have deleted it. I did not record the info anywhere else and my memory sucks. Not going to do that again. On my 2009, cast into the front brake caliper is the logo for the company that makes them. I found the company by that and it was a US based company. They also manufactured brakes for a lot of OE powersport manufacturers based on the info on their website. Does not tell me where they are made. Just by who.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You can switch out the calipers if you wish. The nanny and the ABS controls won't care, as long as you don't mess with the ABS sensors. Those are separate from the calipers and not a part of it. As stated above you 'could' run into some feel and control issues related to the master cylinder and the fluid flow rates. The biggest problem you'd have is the dimentionality of the calipers. Set back, bolt patterns, etc. All of those problems could be overcome if you want, but it could be a lot of work and a lot of trial and error.

Older V-Strom owners switched front brake calipers for years to improve braking and feel, since the original calipers were garbage. (I was one of them.)

Braking is science, but not rocket science going to Mars and back.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    You can switch out the calipers if you wish. The nanny and the ABS controls won't care, as long as you don't mess with the ABS sensors. Those are separate from the calipers and not a part of it. As stated above you 'could' run into some feel and control issues related to the master cylinder and the fluid flow rates. The biggest problem you'd have is the dimentionality of the calipers. Set back, bolt patterns, etc. All of those problems could be overcome if you want, but it could be a lot of work and a lot of trial and error.

Older V-Strom owners switched front brake calipers for years to improve braking and feel, since the original calipers were garbage. (I was one of them.)

Braking is science, but not rocket science going to Mars and back.
    And we used to do this with our Ventures as well. Of course these didn't have ABS or a nanny but the bolt pattern, position, and fluid flow were all considerations. I had not even thought about the sensors being separate from the calipers, but of course they are.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI