Spyder Garage

Default My First 1000 Miles On The F3L

Stats: 2019 F3 Limited, Chrome Edition, Phoenix Orange
    All stock...with the following farkles and set up.

Farkles: Can-Am Driving Lights, BRP Signature Light.

Set up: U-fit...for me based on chart. Short reach handlebars and brake rods at position #2. It worked great. The new F3 fits me like a glove.

I purchased the bike from iMotorsports. The deal was good. Set up was on the money. All promises were kept. Free delivery when they said, missed it by 30 minutes: . Arrived with a full tank of gas.

Yesterday, I crossed 1000 miles. I did not drive it for only three days since I got it. Weather was a bit to cold, to windy (over 40 mph), or raining.

F3 has performed above my expectations. It turns out I am liking it a tad better than my beloved RT-S. Linda is a very happy camper. She now has a 1330. Handling is wonderful on the F3. No glitches or issues. My only complaint is that I do not like the skinny brake pedal. I am shortly going to replace it with a wider one.

I have done a couple things so far. The OEM seat was replaced at 700 miles. I purchased the BRP Cannonball seat. It is comparable to the BRP Comfort seat, which I have had on three other Spyders.

The butt no longer gets sore at 50 miles. Cannonball has more padding and is a bit wider than OEM. A good alternative if you do not want to spend $1K. 150 miles and 4 hours in the saddle today, no problems.

My gas mileage (first checked yesterday at 1000 miles) was 32 mpg. For me, a bit disappointing, since I am used to at least high 30's on the other 1330. I am using 87 octane gas, and it contains 10% ethanol. So far, I think the F3 is peppier than the RT. I am running it above 3500 rpm for most of my driving though. It averages 4000. I like third gear for under 50 mph. That "might" be one of the issues. Going to experiment a bit further with rpm and octane. The jury is out.

I have added two riding companions to our . Burt and Ernie the muppets are now our passengers. The story is in another thread.

I am currently going to run out the OEM Kenda tires until they need replacement. I will then move to the "dark side." I am not going to add any suspension components at this time. Planning on doing most of our riding one up, since we both have . Am very pleased with the ride on both.

The OEM windshield is a keeper for now. I am not feeling any wind buffeting. We will see how it does in the rain.

When I get to the three thousand miles, I plan to take it to Lamonster for the initial oil change service.

A couple more farkles...so far. I want a lighted bumpskid, some additional rear lighting, the wider brake pad, and a rear trunk rack (chrome) of course. Also going to get a set of hopnel soft luggage. They have these for about $25 apiece. $100 for a set of four is a good deal, imo.

That is the plan so far. It is a great ride, I am happy with the F3, and have no buyers remorse.

There are current pictures in my F3 album. When the final farkles go on, I will post additional pictures to the album.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=4997

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-08-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the report.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

AR
    Clear and concise report ,, thanks.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations and super nice ride!
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

good report. thanks for the update. glad you are enjoying your F3 as much as i am.

Spyder Garage

I didn't care for the small brake pedal either, so I removed it to see what I can do about it. The solution was simple! It's secured with two studs and corresponding nuts. I moved the pedal outboard, securing it in the outer hole with the inner stud. For cosmetic's sake, I filled the empty hole with a black bolt and nut. It works perfectly for me. A no cost fix.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m happy you’re enjoying the change in ryde. Pretty much my experience as to handling and performance when I made the switch a couple of years ago. Having gone over 40+K miles it just keeps getting better. Continue to enjoy your new ryde my friend.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Glad that the F3 Limited is working out for you. I also came from a RTS owner to the F3 Limited and I love mine too.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

RE: Gas Mileage

Tried the last full gas tank running the rpms a little closer to 3500 instead of closer to 4000. Result...went from 32 to 37 miles per gallon.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Too bad that you did not get a bright color so folks can see you better LOL��
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: Gas Mileage

Tried the last full gas tank running the rpms a little closer to 3500 instead of closer to 4000. Result...went from 32 to 37 miles per gallon.
    Somehow BRP designed the 1330 engine to operate within a certain RPM window to get optimum mileage …. when you deviate from that mileage suffers …. also for some reason it appears to have a rather lengthy break-in mileage ….. some here get 40 + mpg's regularly …… good luck … Mike

Spyder Garage

Call me in 2 weeks. We have a surprise for you! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Somehow BRP designed the 1330 engine to operate within a certain RPM window to get optimum mileage …. when you deviate from that mileage suffers …. also for some reason it appears to have a rather lengthy break-in mileage ….. some here get 40 + mpg's regularly …… good luck … Mike
    Now that I have focused in on the rpm's a bit, I am expecting the mileage to improve a little more. I have 1300 miles on it so far.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Too bad that you did not get a bright color so folks can see you better LOL��
    And I am liking it a lot. When we go down the road now we get a lot of looks and thumbs up. Ernie and Burt make an interesting pair up.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Call me in 2 weeks. We have a surprise for you! Joe
    PM sent.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ok. You can't do that. Now you have to tell what was the surprise?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Stats: 2019 F3 Limited, Chrome Edition, Phoenix Orange
    All stock...with the following farkles and set up.

Farkles: Can-Am Driving Lights, BRP Signature Light.

Set up: U-fit...for me based on chart. Short reach handlebars and brake rods at position #2. It worked great. The new F3 fits me like a glove.

I purchased the bike from iMotorsports. The deal was good. Set up was on the money. All promises were kept. Free delivery when they said, missed it by 30 minutes: . Arrived with a full tank of gas.

Yesterday, I crossed 1000 miles. I did not drive it for only three days since I got it. Weather was a bit to cold, to windy (over 40 mph), or raining.

F3 has performed above my expectations. It turns out I am liking it a tad better than my beloved RT-S. Linda is a very happy camper. She now has a 1330. Handling is wonderful on the F3. No glitches or issues. My only complaint is that I do not like the skinny brake pedal. I am shortly going to replace it with a wider one.

I have done a couple things so far. The OEM seat was replaced at 700 miles. I purchased the BRP Cannonball seat. It is comparable to the BRP Comfort seat, which I have had on three other Spyders.

The butt no longer gets sore at 50 miles. Cannonball has more padding and is a bit wider than OEM. A good alternative if you do not want to spend $1K. 150 miles and 4 hours in the saddle today, no problems.

My gas mileage (first checked yesterday at 1000 miles) was 32 mpg. For me, a bit disappointing, since I am used to at least high 30's on the other 1330. I am using 87 octane gas, and it contains 10% ethanol. So far, I think the F3 is peppier than the RT. I am running it above 3500 rpm for most of my driving though. It averages 4000. I like third gear for under 50 mph. That "might" be one of the issues. Going to experiment a bit further with rpm and octane. The jury is out.

I have added two riding companions to our . Burt and Ernie the muppets are now our passengers. The story is in another thread.

I am currently going to run out the OEM Kenda tires until they need replacement. I will then move to the "dark side." I am not going to add any suspension components at this time. Planning on doing most of our riding one up, since we both have . Am very pleased with the ride on both.

The OEM windshield is a keeper for now. I am not feeling any wind buffeting. We will see how it does in the rain.

When I get to the three thousand miles, I plan to take it to Lamonster for the initial oil change service.

A couple more farkles...so far. I want a lighted bumpskid, some additional rear lighting, the wider brake pad, and a rear trunk rack (chrome) of course. Also going to get a set of hopnel soft luggage. They have these for about $25 apiece. $100 for a set of four is a good deal, imo.

That is the plan so far. It is a great ride, I am happy with the F3, and have no buyers remorse.

There are current pictures in my F3 album. When the final farkles go on, I will post additional pictures to the album.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=4997

Thanks for reading.
    I agree! Just bought my new to me 2016 F3L from iMotorsports, excellent so far!

Spyder Garage

Update: Since the thread has been revived.

Now at 19,000 miles. So far, no mechanical issues, a fantastic machine in my opinion. Replaced rear tire at 14K miles. Going to need front tires at next oil change.

We like it so much, we traded in the 2014 RT-S and got a new 2020 F3L for Linda. Decked out just like above and so far, no problems whatsoever.

Our mileage is now consistent 40mpg...on both.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oct 3, 2021

I got a bright colored 2021 F3LTD ( Magma Red )