Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Glennm,

You mention Kuhmo.......just another heads up. You will see some negative comments about the Kuhmo performance in the wet from some American riders. That does not appear to be the case out here. I have had zero issues in the wet, and Zoom Zoom Aawens, who rides much harder than me, has also reported zero issues. Perhaps we use a different road mix to the US?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I had two Nankang AS-1's (same size as the OEM Kenda's ) fitted to the front of my 17 RTL yesterday, as close a match to the Nankang XR611 (same size as the OEM Kenda) rear as I could get. I've put about 130kms on them and agree with Peter, anything appears to improve on the OEMs.

You've possibly already read my write up on the XR611 https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hlight=nankang
    Hi Askitee, Looking forward to getting my rear Nankang and hope you still having a good runh with yours.

The new Nangkangs on your front, can you keep us updated on their progress. I think someone said they were ASymmetrical
    . What does that mean [i know dumb, but getting better]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Glennm,

You mention Kuhmo.......just another heads up. You will see some negative comments about the Kuhmo performance in the wet from some American riders. That does not appear to be the case out here. I have had zero issues in the wet, and Zoom Zoom Aawens, who rides much harder than me, has also reported zero issues. Perhaps we use a different road mix to the US?

Pete
    Thanks Pete will keep that in mind.

Would like to get something decent rather than follow crap with potential crap.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    ...... I think someone said they were ASymmetrical
    . What does that mean.....
    Yep, as you probably guessed already, 'Asymetrical' means the tread pattern isn't mirrored down the centre-line/across the tread face, usually so that the tread pattern has a section/one side or half that is best suited to saaay, wet road handling; while another section/the other half of the tread is better suited to dry road handling. Best of both Worlds!

It can also (but not necessarily) mean that the tire tread only works properly when the tire is spinning in one direction, altho those tires are usually labelled 'Directional' &/or have an arrow or a label saying 'inside' or 'outside' on their sidewall. However, you can get Directional tires that aren't Asymetric, just like you can have Asymetric tires that aren't Directional! Make sense?

Oh, btw, Asymetric &/or Directional tires aren't usually an issue up the front (running the correct way of course, &/or at least knowingly running the 'wrong' way for a suitable reason! ) of your Spyder, and they aren't necessarily too much of an issue on the rear either, altho you do want to make sure that an asymetric &/or directional tire run on the rear of your Spyder is suitable for use as a drive tire and that it's also running in the correct direction! There's not really gonna be any 'suitable reason' for running a directional drive tire the wrong way
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-13-2020 at 03:00 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Oh, btw, Asymetric &/or Directional tires aren't usually an issue up the front (running the correct way of course, &/or at least knowingly running the 'wrong' way for a suitable reason! ) of your Spyder, and they aren't necessarily too much of an issue on the rear either, altho you do want to make sure that an asymetric &/or directional tire run on the rear of your Spyder is suitable for use as a drive tire and that it's also running in the correct direction! There's not really gonna be any 'suitable reason' for running a directional drive tire the wrong way
    As you know many riders of conventional trikes mount the front tire in reverse of normal. This is because the front tire is pushed instead of doing the pushing. This supposedly maximizes the traction aspect of the tire for turning, etc. I wonder if there would be any similar benefit to mounting Spyder front tires to run reverse of their specified direction of rotation. Or is the pushing traction already factored into the OEM Kenda fronts?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpyder, that is a very good question. Perhaps Peter Aawen and/or Blueknight911 can answer that for us.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    IdahoMtnSpyder, that is a very good question. Perhaps Peter Aawen and/or Blueknight911 can answer that for us.
    I dis-agree with using the tread …. in REVERSE … of what the directional arrows are on the tire ….. the directional arrows are there because of how the manufacturer designed the tire ……. ask Peter ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    As you know many riders of conventional trikes mount the front tire in reverse of normal. This is because the front tire is pushed instead of doing the pushing. This supposedly maximizes the traction aspect of the tire for turning, etc. I wonder if there would be any similar benefit to mounting Spyder front tires to run reverse of their specified direction of rotation. Or is the pushing traction already factored into the OEM Kenda fronts?
    Like Mike says....

Yeah.... NO! There is NO benefit! At least, not for traction purposes! And that applies especially if you're talking about the OE spec Kendas!

For any other tires, at its most simple, with Non-directional tires, it doesn't matter which way you run them (even if they happen to be asymetrical) they've been designed to work rolling either way! And when it comes to directional tires that aren't specifically marked as 'Drive' or 'Steer' tires or marked with different 'Drive' or 'Steer' rotation directions (either/all of which can be either symetrical or asymetrical) then regardless of where you put them on your vehicle (inc on trikes &/or reverse trikes) then their TRACTION et al has been maximised by design for running in the appropriate indicated direction of rotation....

But there are other factors that can be involved for a whole raft of reasons, and it isn't necessarily quite so simple &/or cut & dried in some (albeit fairly limited) circumstances..... but few recreational or commuter type drivers/riders are likely to encounter any of those circumstances all that often, and even if they do, how many are likely to know when to swap their tires around, let alone bother doing that? Heck, many can't even be bothered checking their tire pressures regularly or knowing even roughly how much load they're putting on their tires?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-13-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank You all.

Spyder Garage

thank you all. I know tyres get done to death however there always seems to be a new question, observation, fact that arises and I appreciate the effort forum members put in.

Makes it much easier for novices to make informed decisions and avoid mistakes.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac