Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default One for Mr Aawen on tyres in Aus

Peter I noticed a couple of times you mentioning that you were testing a variety of tyres on the Spyder.

Is there a timeframe where we can expect your considered and valued opinion on what tyres are available in Aus for our Spyders?

While I do not need tyres at the moment I would very much like to have recommended/preferred options when the time comes. Given I am using Spydey as an almost daily rider I expect I will need them sooner rather than later.

It would appear there are very few options in Aus for us and unfortunately the preferred options of our US friends don't translate to availability here.

Others please feel free to chime in with your Aus tyre experiences/recommendations. If they are not the standard size then the tyre you went for would also be great as I expect I will need to pop the wheels off and take them in to the tyre place for fitting.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Peter I noticed a couple of times you mentioning that you were testing a variety of tyres on the Spyder.

Is there a timeframe where we can expect your considered and valued opinion on what tyres are available in Aus for our Spyders?

While I do not need tyres at the moment I would very much like to have recommended/preferred options when the time comes. Given I am using Spydey as an almost daily rider I expect I will need them sooner rather than later.

It would appear there are very few options in Aus for us and unfortunately the preferred options of our US friends don't translate to availability here.

Others please feel free to chime in with your Aus tyre experiences/recommendations. If they are not the standard size then the tyre you went for would also be great as I expect I will need to pop the wheels off and take them in to the tyre place for fitting.
    .. If anyone will give the best advice it would be Peter ( for Australian tires ) … I'm fairly positive He is going to recommend Auto tires as re-placements …. If you could post what Auto tires are available in Australia it will save a bunch of time … I can research a good choice if I knew what you can get. …. Help us help you ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

It's not strictly 'tire testing on Spyders' so much Glen, it's more along the lines of 'tire testing, which in some instances, depending on appropriate sizes & tire availability, might include some time spent fitted to a Spyder while said testing is being conducted'.... Make sense?!?

However, I'll freely share my opinions & general advice on tires pretty much anytime (on an 'all care no responsibility you get what you paid for money back guarantee' basis, of course! ) but the sad news about the tire testing I'm doing atm is that someone else is paying for it & because of that, they 'own' the rights to those results & how/when said results might see the light of day, if at all!!

But for what it's worth, to date I haven't yet come across any 'readily available & reasonably recognisable name brand auto tires' here in Aust that haven't behaved very well on our Spyders, even when the sizes available have meant changing up or down a width &/or a profile size or two. The Spyder's VSS will readily handle the 'legally allowable' changes in size/width/profile here in Aust just so long as you stay fairly close to matching any changes made up front with similar changes on the rear and vice versa; and of course, any tire you fit MUST suit a 'J' profile rim and match or exceed the load & speed ratings on your tire placard. At least for me & my tire needs/uses, so far every tire fitting the criteria above that I've tried has worked & performed better than the OE Spec Kendas & provided better & more predictable handling, traction, braking, and response in all tested ryding conditions, just so long as the tire pressures have been adjusted to suit the lesser loads a Spyder places upon them!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's not strictly 'tire testing on Spyders' so much Glen, it's more along the lines of 'tire testing, which in some instances, depending on appropriate sizes & tire availability, might include some time spent fitted to a Spyder while said testing is being conducted'.... Make sense?!?

However, I'll freely share my opinions & general advice on tires pretty much anytime (on an 'all care no responsibility you get what you paid for money back guarantee' basis, of course! ) but the sad news about the tire testing I'm doing atm is that someone else is paying for it & because of that, they 'own' the rights to those results & how/when said results might see the light of day, if at all!!

But for what it's worth, to date I haven't yet come across any 'readily available & reasonably recognisable name brand auto tires' here in Aust that haven't behaved very well on our Spyders, even when the sizes available have meant changing up or down a width &/or a profile size or two. The Spyder's VSS will readily handle the 'legally allowable' changes in size/width/profile here in Aust just so long as you stay fairly close to matching any changes made up front with similar changes on the rear and vice versa; and of course, any tire you fit MUST suit a 'J' profile rim and match or exceed the load & speed ratings on your tire placard. At least for me & my tire needs/uses, so far every tire fitting the criteria above that I've tried has worked & performed better than the OE Spec Kendas & provided better & more predictable handling, traction, braking, and response in all tested ryding conditions, just so long as the tire pressures have been adjusted to suit the lesser loads a Spyder places upon them!!
    .. and let me add that I have seen ( on this forum ) every possible combination of front to rear tire sizes used ( auto tires ) and none of them have tripped up the Nanny. The settings Bosche used in their computer parameters are wide enough to allow for any tires that will fit the OEM wheels and frame / fender clearances. ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter & Mike.

Will do some research today on possibilities but to date haven't found anything in 165 55 15 for the fronts.

I am assuming I should also look for 155 60 15 and 175 50 15????

There doesn't seem to be much guard clearance.

For the back 225 50 15, 215 60 15 or 235 45 15?
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter & Mike.

Will do some research today on possibilities but to date haven't found anything in 165 55 15 for the fronts.

" 235 " …. that size would make me nervous ….. we need to know what tires are available to you ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

The basic guidelines are "if you go up a width, go down a profile, and vice versa", altho we know from experience that up front, most of our Spyders actually benefit from going up in either width OR profile WITHOUT the corresponding drop in the other aspect. There are quite a few people running 165/60's up front, some running even wider tires.... (I know of one running 185/45's, altho personally, I'm not too keen on going that much wider &/or lower than 165 without making appropriate suspension &/or steering changes, buuut.... ). Same on the rear, there are Spyders out there running 225/60 rear tires quite successfully, even (or possibly especially...) in the wet! For example, I'm currently running 165/60R15's up front and have a 225/60R15 on the rear giving me ride & handling that is a measurable improvement over 'stock' and has returned more than double the tire longevity, plus the speedo is almost exactly spot on!

That said, as Mike suggests, 235 might be just a little wide for the rear, especially given the swing arm & belt proximity constraints, but as we've both said a number of times, you really need to look at the ACTUAL physical dimensions of any/each tire you are considering - the nominal size taken off the sidewall is just that, a NOMINAL size, and as such it can be INCHES (or somewhat more than 25mm!) different from the actual physical size that you might expect!!! Similarly, the 'size comparison' charts & tables that abound on the internet are just GUIDES, they don't necessarily reflect the ACTUAL physical dimensions of the tires you are considering, so while they are handy for rough comparisons, you really need to look at the published specs & dimensions on whichever tires you may see as contenders...... and then compare those dimensions to the ACTUAL dimensions of a tire that you KNOW fits already!!

Without delving into their current listings, IIRC Bridgestone, Goodyear, Hankook, Toyo, Michelin, Yokohama, Kumho, BFGoodrich, Federal, Nankang, and a bunch more reputable tire brands all sell tires in Australia in actual sizes that fit our Spyders.... (sorry if I've missed anyone's 'favourite brand', that list wasn't intended to be exhaustive or necessarily complete... it was an 'off the top of my head' indicative listing. )
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter & Mike.

I put Nankeng Eco 2 165 x 60 x15 on my F3L front. Very good in handling and well balanced. The vibration is no longer felt.
    For the rear I put a Falken ZE 912; 225 x50 x15

I am very happy with the tyres I now have.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red

Spyder Garage

I Have ordered but not yet received a Nankeng in std size for my rear after reading some good reviews, however i was informed by the dealer that they are struggling to get them anymore, at least in std size. Strangely, after telling the dealer 'no thanks' to kenda's it was the only other tire he would fit to a spyder even though it is a 'car tire' he said it was the only other tire suitable for a spyder. Go figure. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I Have ordered but not yet received a Nankeng in std size for my rear after reading some good reviews, however i was informed by the dealer that they are struggling to get them anymore, at least in std size. Strangely, after telling the dealer 'no thanks' to kenda's it was the only other tire he would fit to a spyder even though it is a 'car tire' he said it was the only other tire suitable for a spyder. Go figure. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
    IMHO, that dealer doesn't know their A from their E ….. Peter knows better …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. The search so far has revealed the below available is Aus.
    165 55 15
    Achilles ATR-K Economist
    Nankang AS-1 Asymmetric

175 50 15
    Hankook Kinergy eco K425
    Goodyear Eagle NCT5
    Kumho Ecowing ES01 KH27

155 60 15
    Achilles ATR-K Economist
    Kumho Ecsta KH11

225 50 15
    Pirelli P Zero but at $600 a tyre no thanks
    Bridgestone Potenza Motorsport RE11S TL - a racing tyre?
    Falken ZE912 - Falken Aus don't list it however a general search returns a tyre mob that supposedly has them so may be an option.

215 60 15
    Hankook Optimo H426
    Dunlop SP Sport LM704
    Kumho Ecowing ES01 KH27
    Maxxis MAP1
    BF Goodrich Radial T/A
    Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip
    Falken ZE912
    Bridgestone Supercat TL
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The basic guidelines are "if you go up a width, go down a profile, and vice versa", altho we know from experience that up front, most of our Spyders actually benefit from going up in either width OR profile WITHOUT the corresponding drop in the other aspect. There are quite a few people running 165/60's up front, some running even wider tires.... (I know of one running 185/45's, altho personally, I'm not too keen on going that much wider &/or lower than 165 without making appropriate suspension &/or steering changes, buuut.... ). Same on the rear, there are Spyders out there running 225/60 rear tires quite successfully, even (or possibly especially...) in the wet! For example, I'm currently running 165/60R15's up front and have a 225/60R15 on the rear giving me ride & handling that is a measurable improvement over 'stock' and has returned more than double the tire longevity, plus the speedo is almost exactly spot on!

That said, as Mike suggests, 235 might be just a little wide for the rear, especially given the swing arm & belt proximity constraints, but as we've both said a number of times, you really need to look at the ACTUAL physical dimensions of any/each tire you are considering - the nominal size taken off the sidewall is just that, a NOMINAL size, and as such it can be INCHES (or somewhat more than 25mm!) different from the actual physical size that you might expect!!! Similarly, the 'size comparison' charts & tables that abound on the internet are just GUIDES, they don't necessarily reflect the ACTUAL physical dimensions of the tires you are considering, so while they are handy for rough comparisons, you really need to look at the published specs & dimensions on whichever tires you may see as contenders...... and then compare those dimensions to the ACTUAL dimensions of a tire that you KNOW fits already!!

Without delving into their current listings, IIRC Bridgestone, Goodyear, Hankook, Toyo, Michelin, Yokohama, Kumho, BFGoodrich, Federal, Nankang, and a bunch more reputable tire brands all sell tires in Australia in actual sizes that fit our Spyders.... (sorry if I've missed anyone's 'favourite brand', that list wasn't intended to be exhaustive or necessarily complete... it was an 'off the top of my head' indicative listing. )
    Thanks Peter trouble is a number of those well know brands indicate on their web sites they don't have our oem sizes or have matching front or rear.
    I would like to stick to standard if possible as you are pretty much assured they will fit.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JackSA View Post
    I put Nankeng Eco 2 165 x 60 x15 on my F3L front. Very good in handling and well balanced. The vibration is no longer felt.
    For the rear I put a Falken ZE 912; 225 x50 x15

I am very happy with the tyres I now have.
    Thanks Jack neither Nankang nor Falken Aus indicate they have those sizes. Might be lucky enough to find someone who imports direct though.
    Nankang do have an AS-1 Asymmetric though in standard size apparently.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Thanks Airborne Nankang Aus only list the AS-1 Asymmetric as an option.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks Glenm, the one i have on order is a xr-611 in 225/50/r15, but i'm told no longer available in Oz, i got the last one..

Yes Mike i know but at least hes happy to supply and fit for me'

Spyder Garage

i have a customer with nankang as-1 fitted on front,165/55/15 no problemns there.in aus

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter trouble is a number of those well know brands indicate on their web sites they don't have our oem sizes or have matching front or rear.
    I would like to stick to standard if possible as you are pretty much assured they will fit.

I wouldn't just rely on the websites - they don't always tell the whole story! If you can, find out who your State's 'Prime Dealer' for a given tire brand is, and give them a call, or at least ask your local tire bloke to give them a call! Most brands have many tire sizes made & probably even imported that are not listed as available in Aust on their websites, you just hafta ask the question!

And once again, don't be too fixated on the 'standard sizes' - very few tires are ACTUALLY the specific size they have printed on their sidewalls, so you can often find tires with a different nominal size printed on their sidewall that are actually very close in their physical dimensions to the OE Spec Kendas..... or maybe something that's a little bit taller so that your speedo is closer to correct! Checking & comparing the published 'revs per km' is often a good start to doing that comparison, bearing in mind that the OE Spec tires can give you a speedo reading that can as much as 10% higher than your true speed.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had two Nankang AS-1's (same size as the OEM Kenda's ) fitted to the front of my 17 RTL yesterday, as close a match to the Nankang XR611 (same size as the OEM Kenda) rear as I could get. I've put about 130kms on them and agree with Peter, anything appears to improve on the OEMs.

You've possibly already read my write up on the XR611 https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hlight=nankang
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I had two Nankang AS-1's (same size as the OEM Kenda's ) fitted to the front of my 17 RTL yesterday, as close a match to the Nankang XR611 (same size as the OEM Kenda) rear as I could get. I've put about 130kms on them and agree with Peter, anything appears to improve on the OEMs.

You've possibly already read my write up on the XR611 https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hlight=nankang
    Thanks askitee glad you chimed in as I thought you had mentioned your tyre selection in another thread.

Not expecting people to pour over the list I have put up mainly want to know which brands/sizes to steer clear of. Would like to have much better than oem if possible.

Look forward to your updates once you put them through the wringer, rain, twisties etc.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks askitee glad you chimed in as I thought you had mentioned your tyre selection in another thread.
    Not expecting people to pour over the list I have put up mainly want to know which brands/sizes to steer clear of. Would like to have much better than oem if possible.
    Look forward to your updates once you put them through the wringer, rain, twisties etc.
    Hi Glennm,

Were you going to mount the tyres yourself, or get a tyre shop to do it? I only ask as I got very excited about the number of tyre options, went to my tyre guy, only to find that many of them were no longer available. (He was quite happy to get any brand I wanted).

The best solution for me was to get him to order the best all round tyre he knew of in the specific sizes, as ANY aftermarket is better than the Kenda/Arachnid for me. That also gave him a bit of profit on the tyre purchase, which I thought was fair. He got a bit of a shock when he saw the “special motorcycle” stamp on the Kendas, but was fine with it when he saw the J type car rim underneath. There are SOME tyre places though that will refuse to mount an aftermarket car tyre on a Spyder.....worried about the “special motorcycle” stamp, I’d imagine. The easiest tyre to get was the Kuhmo Ecsta.... very happy with them.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

"I would like to stick to standard if possible as you are pretty much assured they will fit"
    not a good surmise

tyres can have the same numbers but have diff OD's

are we talking 14's or 15's

gets expensive if you get it wrong

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't know what the situation is over there in Oz but here in the US there are VERY FEW car tires available in the OEM size. That's why you see so much discussion about what tires fit best. Generally speaking, a 215/60/R15 is a very good size choice for the rear.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hi Glennm,

Were you going to mount the tyres yourself, or get a tyre shop to do it? I only ask as I got very excited about the number of tyre options, went to my tyre guy, only to find that many of them were no longer available. (He was quite happy to get any brand I wanted).

The best solution for me was to get him to order the best all round tyre he knew of in the specific sizes, as ANY aftermarket is better than the Kenda/Arachnid for me. That also gave him a bit of profit on the tyre purchase, which I thought was fair. He got a bit of a shock when he saw the “special motorcycle” stamp on the Kendas, but was fine with it when he saw the J type car rim underneath. There are SOME tyre places though that will refuse to mount an aftermarket car tyre on a Spyder.....worried about the “special motorcycle” stamp, I’d imagine. The easiest tyre to get was the Kuhmo Ecsta.... very happy with them.

Pete
    Pete thanks for the info.
    Won't be fitting myself. I asked the local Jax if they could handle the small centre hole on the fronts and they seemed to think it would be fine so here's hoping they will be happy to do the fitting when the time comes.
    Looking like the Ecsta or similarly readily available tyre then. Always better to have something that can be readily replaced in case you are out in the boonies and badly damage a tyre e.g. my wife hit a dead echidna, so many punctures in 2 tyres they both had to be scrapped.
    It looks like it will be a ring around when the time comes.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    "I would like to stick to standard if possible as you are pretty much assured they will fit"
    not a good surmise

tyres can have the same numbers but have diff OD's

are we talking 14's or 15's

gets expensive if you get it wrong

russ
    Thanks merlot yes my thinking too.
    15" front and rear.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Don't know what the situation is over there in Oz but here in the US there are VERY FEW car tires available in the OEM size. That's why you see so much discussion about what tires fit best. Generally speaking, a 215/60/R15 is a very good size choice for the rear.
    Thanks same situation here Idaho. Will scrutinise the sizes more closely when the times comes although I must admit with all the negative comments about the kendas I am keen to replace sooner rather than later.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac