Spyder Garage

Default Full tune up on 2011 rss

Hello all,

I have learn so much from this forum you guys are amazing. I been brave and been working on my own bike simple because shops are very expensive and even shiesty at time. One shop wsnt to charger me 350 dollars for front brake job I went home took me about 1 hr and 60 bucks.

Anyway I want to dive into giving my bike a tune up has anyone done tune on there own bike how hard was it and what was needed.?

Thank you

Spyder Garage

First. Are you sure your Spyder needs a tune up? Is there something it is doing, or not doing that indicates the need? Or an appropriate accumulation of miles?

And it somewhat depends on what may already have been done in the past.

If the throttle body vacuum hoses have not been changed/upgraded. That is a very good place to start. If the fuel filter and air filter have been in place for a long time (20k or more) they may need changing. Spark plugs and wires possibly. A good dose of fuel treatment isn't a bad idea. Beyond that you can adjust the valves. But likely a waste of time and energy. Though technically not part of a tune up. Some consider an oil change at the same time since they are already in the 'take it apart' mode.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much I will give this a look and see what needs to be upgraded and whays needs to be changed.

Spyder Garage

I just finished doing the vac hoses as well as new spark plug wires and plugs on my 2010 RT. The performance was down and the idle was lumpy so it needed some help. From what I read, the plug wires can break down over time, the plugs if the original iridium, are probably fine, but why not replace them when you have it apart. And taking it apart is where the fun starts. The RSS probably has less tupperware, but if the airbox is similar, you still have to remove a bunch of stuff in order to get it off so you can get the the front plug and wire. How many miles on it and how is it running right now?
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

This is what I just went through, YMMV https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ance-on-the-RT
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I JUST finished tuning my RS-S (I have the 2012 model), and I would be happy to walk through any questions you have. I have a power commander, new air intake, two brothers exhaust, RIVCO floorboards, and a range of other items on mine now. It came to me stock OEM with a set of add on driving lights. I even have the sway bar and bar ends. Like I said, if you have any questions, let me know, happy to help.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you I'll definitely keep you in mind.

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much.

Spyder Garage

@ JueJue97, I am retired IT, and owned a cycle repair shop as well. Just picked up bike number 4 today, getting ready for a big event in Denver, I like to have three or four good used bikes on hand for the swap meet, good way to start the year. At any rate, I am around all the time, and happy to help out. ANd I have absolutely fallen for my RSS, I still want a Ryker, or a 1330 model, but I will NEVER get rid of the RSS, its a hoot once its tuned out.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black