Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Touring Comfort Inquiry

Hi All, I am very close to making the decision to sell my BMW R1200RT and get a 2020 RT Limited. This is my 2nd BMW RT and I have a love/hate relationship with the bike. I mostly use it for long rides/touring and for that it is superb. Once up on the highway it rides like a dream. However, it's top heavy and tippy for me at stops and around town. Plus the nearest dealer is 2.5 hours away.

I've test ridden a couple Spyders and at first impression they seem to offer the same touring capability with the added stability of 3 wheels at stops.

My question for the group is how the Spyder RT Limited would be, comfort wise, on long rides? I'm talking 8 or 10 hour days in the saddle. My assumption is that with the U-Fit I would be able to arrive at a comfortable bar position.

Thanks in advance for help from those of you with Spyder miles under your belt.

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, The R11xx series.
    Loved mine, R1100RT, the first one in STL after introduction. Got to watch them open the crate and assemble. The radio system showed up a couple months later because BMW did not want to delay the initial orders. A lovely touring bike, as you say, but heavy at slow speeds.
    You'll like the RTL, but for long days in the saddle, I think you'll want to look at https://day-long.com/ .
    You'll be stopping for fuel every few hours anyway, ( or food if you are like me... ride to eat).

Spyder Garage

Yesterday, I attended the monthly breakfast of our local Portland Spyder club and I sat across fro two fellows. One rode the full length of Hwy.20 from Newport, Oregon to Boston, Mass and back to Oregon. His wife was along riding her own Spyder.
    The other did his second trip to Alaska, one leg being 2,200 miles in just two days. Others there have ridden across the US. I hope this answers your concern.
    I have 67 years of two wheeling. After I got used to handling my Spyder and replacing the feelings and sensations that two wheeling gave me with those the Spyder gives, I am so glad I converted to three wheels for more reasons than you can imagine. You'll know what those reasons are after you get proficient at tossing your Spyder around.
    That 2020 RTL looks like a real winner - go for it, you will not regret it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I don't believe the RT has a U-fit system. I know the F3 does. Can someone clarify?

Been driving RT's since they came out in 2010. A perfect touring platform. Just bought a 2019 F3L. That also works for me. I can see all day rides on that. I did replace the seat at 700 miles with a Cannonball CrossCountry though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You might want to consider a Laam seat http://laamseats.com/. Atabout half the cost of the RDL ]https://day-long.com/[/url] . I have had the RDL and now have Laam and they are of equal quality. Laam used to work at RDL, so he knows all the tricks and uses the same products. I am very happy.. You can't go wrong with either!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

I had a Rts and now F3L. I replaced my seat on Rts with daylong seat. Made a high difference. But your looking at a 2020 RTS totally different animal than the previous bikes. Looks way more comfortable right out of the box. I think it will be a great tourer. Way more leg room and lower seat. More passenger room too. Go for it.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, RICZ, and jp58, I'm sure liking what I see on the 2020 RTL, time will tell if I buy one.

Spyder Garage

All those saddle recommendations are good and work for those who posted about theirs. My recommendation is you ride your 2020 RT for at least 1,000 miles and then decide. I have purchased off-the-shelf aftermarket saddles and some worked while other didn't and I regretted the purchase.
    So here's what I do; My bike and I go to a saddle customizer who not only tailors the seat to my butt, but corrects any posture problems as well. Oh, and I have him put heat in the saddle while he's at it and you can select new coverings if you want. Nice.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I moved in September into spyderland from a Yamaha Venture S for the same reasons; a great comfortable highway beast that terrified me in parking lots doe to its' top-heavy design. I only have 3800km on my 2018 RT, have not found the stock seat uncomfortable (rode 1500km in two days travelling home from buying it) but am adding the driver's backrest.I think you'll love it, especially the 2020! Got to sit on one yesterday at the Toronto motorcycle show, and it really is something!! Floorboards could double for surfing, they are so big!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the thoughts and encouragement. I put Russell Day Longs on my last two BMW's and am very happy with those saddles. However, since the 2020 Spyder RT Limited looks to have a new seat position and design, I will put some butt miles in before making any decisions saddle-wise. As I said, I'm pretty darn close to pulling the trigger and right now just debating whether to pre-order or wait until they show up at the dealers. As I mentioned in another post, the dealers I've discussed this with have not offered any significant incentives for me to pre-order, and the additional year of warranty by itself does not seem like that much incentive to me. Thanks again, and I hope to soon be part of Spyder Nation!

Spyder Garage

If I didn't know better, I would think that I was the OP
    Owned a R1200RT for 5 years and had the same love/hate relationship as you.
    Put a little over 27,000 miles on it including a 3k round trip to Texas.
    If you have a stock seat on the BMW, the Spyder RT seat will be a dream.
    Long rides are my thing and in the 2 years I've owned the Spyder have never experienced "Monkey Butt"
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

did 7,600 mile trip in 2 weeks with RT Ltd. breaking day trips down, biggest was 845 miles in about 13 hrs, 720 miles in 11 hrs, 3 other 800 mile days. could not do without Russell day long seat. OEM seat, I would get uncomfortable in about 1.25 hrs
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post
    Hi All, I am very close to making the decision to sell my BMW R1200RT and get a 2020 RT Limited. This is my 2nd BMW RT and I have a love/hate relationship with the bike. I mostly use it for long rides/touring and for that it is superb. Once up on the highway it rides like a dream. However, it's top heavy and tippy for me at stops and around town. Plus the nearest dealer is 2.5 hours away.

I've test ridden a couple Spyders and at first impression they seem to offer the same touring capability with the added stability of 3 wheels at stops.

My question for the group is how the Spyder RT Limited would be, comfort wise, on long rides? I'm talking 8 or 10 hour days in the saddle. My assumption is that with the U-Fit I would be able to arrive at a comfortable bar position.

Thanks in advance for help from those of you with Spyder miles under your belt.
    8 -10 hrs. …. I kept the OEM seat ( I have a Perfect Butt haha) and have done this many, many times..... I sold my last GW back in 09, and I couldn't do more than 6 hrs ( I was 62 back then ) …… if you have Kenda's you will have to use the PSI they recommend …. when / if you swap to Auto tires a much lower PSI is recommended...… & ………. Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post
    Thanks for all the thoughts and encouragement. I put Russell Day Longs on my last two BMW's and am very happy with those saddles. However, since the 2020 Spyder RT Limited looks to have a new seat position and design, I will put some butt miles in before making any decisions saddle-wise. As I said, I'm pretty darn close to pulling the trigger and right now just debating whether to pre-order or wait until they show up at the dealers. As I mentioned in another post, the dealers I've discussed this with have not offered any significant incentives for me to pre-order, and the additional year of warranty by itself does not seem like that much incentive to me. Thanks again, and I hope to soon be part of Spyder Nation!
    In 09 when I switched to the Spyder …. the best advice I got was --- drive it like a car --- I did that and was quite comfortable driving after only 200 miles ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Japgen, We common motives. I just “acquired” a ‘12 Goldwing. I rented one and rode 14 hours on longest leg with no ill effects. However that was solo, about 7 years ago. Fast forward to last month on a ride with my wife and oops, I capsized it at a stop sign. Bike ok, wife fractured/cracked a rib. So bye-bye GW. I did rent an RT spyder and felt the wind protection to be better than either the GW or ‘06 bmw rt (another rental). If you realize it’s not exactly a single-track bike, it works great cause NO stability issues with added bonus that reverse is all engine (no pathetic electric attempt), and maintenance is much easier (9300 mile interval). And there is no U-fit on rt. Do it you’ll love it!

Spyder Garage

from reading the comments upstream of this one.... You don't find many people unhappy with the spyders. I have a 2015 RTS, and the wife rides a 2018 RTL. We like them alot, but I still have the HD Ultra classic... don't ride it much, but still have it. we do ride the spyders... BTW, I have a ultimate seat on mine, works well for me, the wife has the stock on hers, and it works for her.... Like others have said, put a few miles on first before spending more $$$$
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

There seems to be some confusion (for me at least) about the handlebar options for the 2020 RT Limited. My understanding is that starting with the 2020 model year the Tri Axis will no longer be available for the RT, but the U Fit system will be available. I base this on conversations with a couple dealers, the info in the 2020 brochure which states Tri Fit is for RT's model year '19 or older, and the online "Build" package which allows you to add short or long bars to your build for the 2020 RT. I guess we'll know for sure when they arrive on the lots.

Spyder Garage

It is my understanding that the 2020 RT will have the F3L handlebars. I could be wrong. I could be right.

Spyder Garage

Japgen/Rickz, my salesman showed me the “add on” catalog and there is a short- and long-reach handlebar. Apparently they are available for sale, but no mention of a no charge swap. But this is my guy, who frankly was not quite at the top of his game.

Spyder Garage

I've owned several Goldwings, and the wife and I have put a lot of miles on them. Just like the Beemer (I love the RT's), the Goldwings do feel heavy at low speeds. A couple years ago I found myself feeling very apprehensive pulling into a crowded Urban area after a long day on the road. I just didn't feel confident anymore on an 800+ pound bike with luggage and the wife. We now have a 2018 RT Limited that we have put over 10,000, mostly highway miles, on. We find it more comfortable and less fatiguing than the Goldwing. Plus it has more luggage capacity. For me, the stock seat is very comfortable for 6-8 hour days.

Spyder Garage

I've owned several touring bikes, I had a Yamaha Venture XVZ1200, the last was a Honda ST1100.
    I bought a 2010 Spyder and got my Iron Butt Certificate within the first couple of months.
    I had many comfort upgrades, primarily to the suspension that I felt were essential.
    I bought a 2014, and made one upgrade to the suspension that made the bike more better.
    I'm buying the 2020, and just adding an OEM light a rear rack for storage, and the drivers backrest for comfort.
    I don't anticipate anything else at this time.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    It is my understanding that the 2020 RT will have the F3L handlebars. I could be wrong. I could be right.
    The pictures I looked of at the 2020 RT had round bars like a normal motorcycle and the F3. Should make getting the right fit way cheaper and easier to achieve.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I bought a 2014, and made one upgrade to the suspension that made the bike more better.
    Do you care to share with us what that upgrade was? Inquiring minds want to know.

Spyder Garage

The 2010 got the RonBar and upgraded shocks, and the best mechanical alignment at the time. Totally un-ridable without these changes.
    The 2014 was much better out of the crate. Still as I began riding 2 up, the RonBar and laser alignment made a measurable but less essential difference.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Spent 43 years on Yamaha Ventures, the last 4 years on Royal Stars So very comfortable I never had to change seats. I rode a Goldwing Trike for 4 years never changed the seat. Rode my Spyder for 1 Year then bought a gel pad from motorcycledave.com (a site sponsor) and the Spyder became an all day bike, very comfortable. I don't have to stop except to eat, restroom, or fuel. Very comfortable. I think it will replace your BMW very well. I still love and miss my Ventures, but I love the ride of my RTL. I bought it in 2015 with 8500 miles, it now has 53000+ and I love to travel on it. BTW mine is a 2012. Oh and BTW and post early and often and post pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze