Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tall Windshield hurt mileage

Hi All! Did a search and didn’t find mention of this. I used to have a Beemer and some of the RT guys (as in r1200rt) mentioned that with the shield in the up or near full-up position the gas mileage took up to 2 to 3 mile/gallon hit. This is not so much an economic thing as it’s a range issue. The spyders are great tourers but gas mileage, and consequent range, doesn’t appear to be their strength. I did rent an ‘18 spyder last year and it had trouble making 200 miles on a tank (2-up at 75 +/-). Asking because am considering the +3 (28 in) F4 windshield for an RTL (‘20).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SCWSpyder View Post
    Hi All! Did a search and didn’t find mention of this. I used to have a Beemer and some of the RT guys (as in r1200rt) mentioned that with the shield in the up or near full-up position the gas mileage took up to 2 to 3 mile/gallon hit. This is not so much an economic thing as it’s a range issue. The spyders are great tourers but gas mileage, and consequent range, doesn’t appear to be their strength. Just curious as an ‘18 rental had trouble making 200 miles on a tank.
    Range has never been an issue for me. None of my motorcycles could be relied on for a 200 mile range. I had a Kawasaki 750 that went on reserve at about 100 miles. That did not stop me from touring on it - just need to plan ahead. Even with my Goldwing I would fill at about 150 miles. By that time I need to get off and stretch anyway.

Spyder Garage

Sure. I guess my bladder must be industrial strength. I also rented a 2006 beemer RT and it made 292 miles on the first tank it used! And yes my beemer would usually only go 180. But my rental spyder rt got 28 mpg (just under 200 miles) so didn’t want to drop it as it seems common that my destinations are at 200 miles.

Spyder Garage

Anything you put on one adds weight and sometimes wind resistance. It will all affect gas mileage, but not really enough to be concerned about. The low fuel light will come on long before you are near empty. You don't want to run it completely empty, but you can run it way past when the gauges say it is empty. You know what mileage you are getting. Set the trip odometer when you refuel and you can run it down until you have about a gallon and a half left without any problem. I have never run it down much lower than that. The low fuel light and the fuel empty gauge will be on long before you get that far. When you refuel, it will not take anywhere near the fuel tank capacity listed for it. Specs on mine is 7.1 gallons of fuel. I have filled it up after the gauge said it was empty and the low fuel light had been on for a while., It never takes more than just over 5 gallons. There is huge safety factor built into the fuel warning lights.

Whatever mileage it gets, sure is better than riding cross country on a Sportster with a 3.3 gallon tank and 4 MSR fuel bottles in the saddlebags.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Big windshields can make a good deal of difference in fuel mileage. 10% or more, depending on how big of a barn door you hang on the front. Add a head wind to that and you can get a drastic reduction in range.

I was able to do a little over 125 mph (Speedo) on my Spyder with the small, stock shield. I put a somewhat bigger shield on (but not big by any means) and now I can't do much over 115 mph.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

In the lower 48, gas between stations should be well within the limits of the gas tanks on the Spyders. We now have two that will go at least a couple hundred miles.

A taller windshield will have some effect, but IMO, not enough to make me worry about running out of gas.

We usually take a break every 100 miles or so anyway. Just to get off, and stretch a bit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Also filling up if you let the gas nozzle shut off automatically you are not filling the tank all the way. Do not fill to the top but after it kicks off just pull the nozzle about halfway up and add more fuel. For me its about 1/2 gallon.

Spyder Garage

Me tooooo on the extra fill after the auto shut off. A vent in the shield will allow a lower position with out turbulence. Higher speeds defiantly cost in MPG.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

The 1330 ACE engine and the gearing on an RT are going to significantly impact your range at 75 +/- mph because you are pushing a barn door through the wind. Have you test ridden a 2020 RT with the OEM windshield at its uppermost position and from which you might be able to extrapolate how a taller windshield will perform? You're looking at a brand new model and no one knows how the thing is going to perform and even you wouldn't know tomorrow if you jumped on one because the mileage is going to be less than ideal until the engine is broken in.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for input. Cross country on a Sportster! And 1-2-5 on spyder, wow. Yes I know there are stations available, but it bugs me to to start a trip only to have to fill up after only 87 miles so as to make the next gas stop. And hadn’t thought about the fill-after-the-click syndrome—now the car guys tell me that’s no-no as the tank can over fill allowing fuel to reach the catalytic converters and damage it. Jay bro I agree that perhaps the seating on the new ‘20 RT may give more room—in fact called and talked to Elishia at F4 on this very subject (they haven’t seen one yet to get dimensions). Later.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi All! Did a search and didn’t find mention of this. I used to have a Beemer and some of the RT guys (as in r1200rt) mentioned that with the shield in the up or near full-up position the gas mileage took up to 2 to 3 mile/gallon hit. This is not so much an economic thing as it’s a range issue. The spyders are great tourers but gas mileage, and consequent range, doesn’t appear to be their strength. I did rent an ‘18 spyder last year and it had trouble making 200 miles on a tank (2-up at 75 +/-). Asking because am considering the +3 (28 in) F4 windshield for an RTL (‘20).
    IMHO the larger windshield on the Spyder is going to have LESS effect than one on a two-wheeler ( ie BMW or GW ) because the Spyder is already a barn door because of the two front wheels / fenders etc. and bodywork …… I wouldn't be concerned ….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the larger windshield will impact mileage, but how much? That is most difficult to measure as mileage will be a veritable trampoline jumping graph. See my thread here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=poll+premium. I say the greatest impact on mpg will be speed, followed by head wind, then by everything else including front profile, road friction, highway elevation, air temperature, and who knows what all. Ride your new machine for a few hundred or thousand miles before deciding if you really need a taller shield. I have an F4 tall and wide on my 2014 RTS. I really like the tall part, but no so much the wide part. Unless you are going to do a lot riding in cold weather I would suggest you don't get the wide option. I have found it does too good of a job in deflecting air around me, which means I don't get the air flow on me I want during hot rides. I have the Baker Air Wings and adjustable BRP deflectors which help a lot.

Another thing to be aware of. The windshield height and width will affect the air flow around the Spyder. On mine the flags on the trunk fly backwards as the air circulates behind me. On wet roads or light rain I've actually had more dirt on the backside of my windshield than on the front side! This air vortex will directly affect the passenger. A vent in the windshield helps, but doesn't totally counteract the air flow.

As with other changes, like tires, don't do them until you know what the OEM configuration does or does not provide you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As far as range keep in mind if the next two fueling stops available are 120 and then 130 miles ahead of you it makes no difference if your range is 180 miles or 220 miles. You aren't going to make it to the second stop without stopping at the 120 mile mark! This will the case more often than what might want to think out here in the West! Even if your normal range is 200 miles, and you're at 175 miles and near a gas stop and the next stop is 25 miles farther, are you going to risk running out at 198 miles? In other words, out here in the West distance between fueling stops is a much greater determinant of when you stop for fuel than will be your tankful range.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

IdahoSpydr, Thanx for windshield input. And agree with early gas stops. But the one glaring exception was when I went to Albequerque. I had to stop in the town of Payson (87 miles) in order to make my next stop (Gallup). Bugged me ‘cause couldn’t make Holbrook which was tick over 200 miles. Oh well it beats pushing!

Spyder Garage

My rule for riding in "sparse" areas. Buy gas when you see it. Better to have more than you need, as opposed to be iffy when it comes to running out before the next gas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    My rule for riding in "sparse" areas. Buy gas when you see it. Better to have more than you need, as opposed to be iffy when it comes to running out before the next gas.
    I agree wholeheartedly and perhaps more important, remember, touring is an adventure. If ensuring you're going to have enough range to make the next fuel stop, a little detour to be certain you can have enough fuel may be a wise option to consider because you never know what you may see. In my experience out on the far side of beyond a bigger concern is finding a fuel stop that does enough business volume to ensure you can get at least some fresh 87 octane because there are areas where that's all you can get. FWIW, in the few times I've experienced such, I have never noticed any difference in the Spyder's performance even though I normally use at least 91 and more often 93.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    Also filling up if you let the gas nozzle shut off automatically you are not filling the tank all the way. Do not fill to the top but after it kicks off just pull the nozzle about halfway up and add more fuel. For me its about 1/2 gallon.
    We also do this every fill up. About an extra half gallon. To avoid overfilling...I fill till it comes up to the ring, let it settle one time and refill to the ring. DONE.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oh well it beats pushing!
    It also beats waiting by the side of the road for help. I was headed to Austin, TX one time on my Goldwing. I wasn't concerned about mileage when I looked down at the trip meter and saw something like 160 miles. A tankful generally would go about 240 miles and it was only about 40 miles to Ft. Worth suburbs! A few minutes later, just as I was passing the last exit to Decatur, north of Ft. Worth, I noticed the gas light was on. This was at about 9 PM, after dark. The odo was at 190 miles! I'm in a populated area so there will be a gas station here pretty soon. Well, I ran out of gas at 200 miles, about 2 miles short of a new gas station, which was the next exit after the one I passed up! A kind soul, a rider driving his van stopped to help. He went and got me a couple of gallons of gas which he let me pay for. He said he needed a new gas can anyway so he wouldn't let me pay for it! I called 911 and canceled the request for roadside assistance. I was stopped on a narrow shoulder next to a guard rail. The dispatcher for GWRRA Rescue said to call 911 since I was in a precarious location and said that would get me quicker help than Rescue could. BTW, my short range was caused by several hours of strong headwind driving through north Texas!

So the moral is, don't depend on the odo numbers only! Keep an eye on the gas gauge too!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Nothing gets good mileage at 125 mph.
    2020 RT-Limited , Petrol Metallic Chrome Edition

Spyder Garage

Shyeah! Good to hear 87 works-I thought it would be ping city. Phoenix gets the treat of ethanol added to summer gas, which is tough on high compression H-Ds. And good point on just watching odo only! Yes touring is an adventure, some methods more so than others!

Spyder Garage

Shyeah! Good to hear 87 works-I thought it would be ping city.
    And in high elevations like Wyoming or Colorado 86 octane works!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

We also do this every fill up. About an extra half gallon. To avoid overfilling...I fill till it comes up to the ring, let it settle one time and refill to the ring. DONE.
    Is this something we can safely do on the twins i.e. won't cause fuel to flow into the charcoal canister?
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Is this something we can safely do on the twins i.e. won't cause fuel to flow into the charcoal canister?
    That is my method for both engines. Had a 998 until a month ago. Go very easy on the fill to the ring top off. Never had an issue with running it into the canister.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That is my method for both engines. Had a 998 until a month ago. Go very easy on the fill to the ring top off. Never had an issue with running it into the canister.
    Thanks AR, I'm still learning!
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Larger windshield, we have the 27" Jurpck with flip I purchased that for the wife as she gets less buffeting as I never ride alone I have not noticed any reduction on fuel mileage we have stayed in the low 30 mpg since we have owned her. We dont cruise any more than 65mph
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests